View topic - Yaf(a)Ray, on the way to release candidates

Yaf(a)Ray, on the way to release candidates

Users-contributed CVS development builds. Post here your questions about compiling the source code.

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi,

I guess you're using GCC 4.3. I got the same errors, for a temporary workaround put this into your yafray_config.h (from gcc 4.3 all headers should be explicitly defined - the devs should fix this

Well, as for me, I am still using gcc 4.2, I've not encountered that error msg. As soon as one of the devs upgrades, it will have to be fixed. ;-)

but does anyone know if there is or will be a way to use the volume object's material to specify the colour?

The sigmas, that you can set for the volumes, are really spectral values, just atm they are shades of gray. But at some point, the sigmas will become settable as colors instead of numbers. But it won't be the material's color that determines the volume's medium color.

I always wished for something like fog/athmosphere for landscapes, and this looks very promising. I'm looking forward to the next updates.

and

what does the sky integrator do?

See the attached image, this is what I have so far from the sky integrator. It works really well with the sunsky, thanks to Sanne for the integration into the script. Without that, I wouldn't have started to complete the implementation of this atmosphere stuff.

Right now, it's not yet correct in a physical sense (well, you know what I mean ...), but the first results are at least somewhat promising that it'll become useful at some point.

bert_b

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:03 pm

I am also having problems building on 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04. In my case both Blender and Yafaray seem to build without errors, but when I try view a material preview I get this error -
"/tmp
b:0
yafaray-xml: error while loading shared libraries: libyafaraycore.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "yafaray_ui.py.001", line 1699, in button_event
File "yafaray_ui.py.001", line 667, in refreshPreview
IOError: couldn't load image"

and when I try to render, this error -
"Starting scene conversion.
Scene conversion done.
Error loading yafray plugin:"

libyafaraycore.so does exist.
I am also using gcc-4.3
stoneage

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:43 pm

bert_b wrote:See the attached image, this is what I have so far from the sky integrator.

Wow!! That's exactly what I was hoping for, looks very very good. Can I use it already with revision 201?

This is all very exciting! :)
Sanne

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:23 pm

O.K, so I just updated and now I get these errors -
Blender -
Compiling ==> 'SND_SoundListener.cpp'
Compiling ==> 'SND_DeviceManager.cpp'
In file included from intern/SoundSystem/intern/SND_DeviceManager.cpp:39:
intern/SoundSystem/SND_DependKludge.h:41:1: error: "USE_OPENAL" redefined
<command-line>: error: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from intern/SoundSystem/intern/SND_DeviceManager.cpp:45:
intern/SoundSystem/openal/SND_OpenALDevice.h:35: warning: ‘typedef’ was ignored in this declaration
scons: *** [/home/organic/build/linux2/intern/SoundSystem/intern/SND_DeviceManager.o] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Yafaray -
In file included from include/core_api/matrix4.h:29,
from include/core_api/object3d.h:8,
from include/yafraycore/meshtypes.h:5,
from src/yafraycore/object3d.cc:2:
include/core_api/vector3d.h: In function ‘int yafray::ourRandomI()’:
include/core_api/vector3d.h:303: warning: integer overflow in expression
include/core_api/vector3d.h: In function ‘yafray::PFLOAT yafray::ourRandom()’:
include/core_api/vector3d.h:315: warning: integer overflow in expression
include/core_api/vector3d.h: In function ‘yafray::PFLOAT yafray::ourRandom(int&)’:
include/core_api/vector3d.h:327: warning: integer overflow in expression
src/yafraycore/object3d.cc: In member function ‘virtual int yafray::triangleObject_t::evalVMap(const yafray::surfacePoint_t&, unsigned int, float*) const’:
src/yafraycore/object3d.cc:51: error: ‘alloca’ was not declared in this scope
scons: *** [build/yafraycore/object3d.os] Error 1

Can Anybody help?
64 bit Ubuntu 8.04 with gcc-4.3
stoneage

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi!

stoneage, please try to do what Lempour suggested. With gcc 4.3, the C++ header inclusions were "cleaned up", so for current code this means additional header files must be included. So if Lempour's workaround works, then please use it until the devs come up with the correct solution (which, as I said, will probably be when one of them upgrades to gcc 4.3).

The Blender error is not related to Yafaray, disabling OpenAL might help already, if you don't use sound in Blender.

Sanne, the sky stuff is not yet in SVN, I'll commit it in the next days. If someone wants to try it now, come to the yafray IRC channel, I can post you a link to the patch (I just don't want to put it into SVN in the current state).

Bert
bert_b

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:41 pm

Sanne wrote:Can I use it already with revision 201?

Yes, I can! Did a quick doodling around and came up with this. It's not as nice as your examples, bert_b, like colored ground fog and such, and I don't even know if I used it correctly, but it's a start. Such fun!

Without athmosphere fog:

With athmosphere fog:

Edit: Oh, I didn't see your reply, bert_b. I think I'll wait for now until svn gets updated, no need to rush. If I get impatient, I'll take you up on your offer for the patch, thanks for that. :)
Sanne

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:43 pm

That's brilliant, thank you bert_b and lempour, my Yafaray builds successfully again.
I know this isn't the Blender forum but my blender svn normally builds without error, while the Yafaray integration is still giving me problems. I build with WITH_BF_OPENAL = 'false' and now this error -

Compiling ==> 'export_yafaray.cpp'
source/blender/yafray/intern/export_yafaray.cpp: In function ‘void adjustPath(std::string&)’:
source/blender/yafray/intern/export_yafaray.cpp:169: error: ‘strcpy’ was not declared in this scope
source/blender/yafray/intern/export_yafaray.cpp: In function ‘bool getXmlPath(std::string&)’:
source/blender/yafray/intern/export_yafaray.cpp:183: error: ‘strlen’ was not declared in this scope
source/blender/yafray/intern/export_yafaray.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool yafarayPlugin_t::initExport()’:
source/blender/yafray/intern/export_yafaray.cpp:486: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
source/blender/yafray/intern/export_yafaray.cpp:496: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
source/blender/yafray/intern/export_yafaray.cpp: In member function ‘void yafarayPlugin_t::genVcol(ObjectRen*, VlakRen*, bool)’:
source/blender/yafray/intern/export_yafaray.cpp:1233: error: ‘memset’ was not declared in this scope
source/blender/yafray/intern/export_yafaray.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void yafarayPlugin_t::writeCamera()’:
source/blender/yafray/intern/export_yafaray.cpp:1716: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
scons: *** [/home/organic/build/linux2/source/blender/yafray/intern/export_yafaray.o] Error 1

Thanks again for the assistance, I'd love to get this working since I can no longer use the binary with Ubuntu Hardy.

What is export_yafaray.o? I can't find a copy.
Last edited by stoneage on Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoneage

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:21 pm

stoneage
:idea: try to add this to following files

export_yafaray.cpp:
Code: Select all
#include <cstring>
#include <cstdlib>

yafray_Render.cpp:
#include <cstring>
Lempour

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:55 pm

Lempour, Thank You, I now have a working build. Man, it is a relief. I was preparing to buy another hard drive to reinstall Gutsy so I could have Yafaray back.
I still have to build without openal, but I have never used sound with Yafaray(With Yafray, yes), and I still get the script error when trying to view a material preview. I hope I can fix that with greenthumb's solution.

I'm looking forward to exploring the changes introduced since 196.

Thanks again.
(Now if I can just compile Cinepaint......)
stoneage

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi!
I've tried to compile Yaf(a)ray SVN 201 on Windows XP with MSVC 8 and scons 0.98.2. Everything compiled and linked fine with exception of GridVolume - I received linker errors:
link /nologo /dll /out:build\volumes\GridVolume.dll /implib:build\volumes\GridVo
lume.lib /LIBPATH:build\yafraycore /LIBPATH:src\yafraycore yafraycore.lib build\
volumes\GridVolume.obj
   Creating library build\volumes\GridVolume.lib and object build\volumes\GridVo
lume.exp
GridVolume.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual floa
t __thiscall yafray::newPerlin_t::operator()(class yafray::point3d_t const &)con
st " (??RnewPerlin_t@yafray@@UBEMABVpoint3d_t@1@@Z)
GridVolume.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual floa
t __thiscall yafray::stdPerlin_t::operator()(class yafray::point3d_t const &)con
st " (??RstdPerlin_t@yafray@@UBEMABVpoint3d_t@1@@Z)
t __thiscall yafray::blenderNoise_t::operator()(class yafray::point3d_t const &)
const " (??RblenderNoise_t@yafray@@UBEMABVpoint3d_t@1@@Z)
t __thiscall yafray::voronoi_t::operator()(class yafray::point3d_t const &)const
" (??Rvoronoi_t@yafray@@UBEMABVpoint3d_t@1@@Z)
GridVolume.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall y
afray::voronoi_t::voronoi_t(enum yafray::voronoi_t::voronoiType,enum yafray::vor
onoi_t::dMetricType,float)" (??0voronoi_t@yafray@@QAE@W4voronoiType@01@W4dMetric
Type@01@M@Z) referenced in function "public: void __thiscall yafray::voronoi_t::
`default constructor closure'(void)" (??_Fvoronoi_t@yafray@@QAEXXZ)
t __thiscall yafray::cellNoise_t::operator()(class yafray::point3d_t const &)con
st " (??RcellNoise_t@yafray@@UBEMABVpoint3d_t@1@@Z)
t __thiscall yafray::fBm_t::operator()(class yafray::point3d_t const &)const " (
??RfBm_t@yafray@@UBEMABVpoint3d_t@1@@Z)
t __thiscall yafray::mFractal_t::operator()(class yafray::point3d_t const &)cons
t " (??RmFractal_t@yafray@@UBEMABVpoint3d_t@1@@Z)
t __thiscall yafray::heteroTerrain_t::operator()(class yafray::point3d_t const &
)const " (??RheteroTerrain_t@yafray@@UBEMABVpoint3d_t@1@@Z)
t __thiscall yafray::hybridMFractal_t::operator()(class yafray::point3d_t const
&)const " (??RhybridMFractal_t@yafray@@UBEMABVpoint3d_t@1@@Z)
t __thiscall yafray::ridgedMFractal_t::operator()(class yafray::point3d_t const
&)const " (??RridgedMFractal_t@yafray@@UBEMABVpoint3d_t@1@@Z)
build\volumes\GridVolume.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 11 unresolved externals
scons: *** [build\volumes\GridVolume.dll] Error 1120

By the way, lines 2 and 5 in tools/buildtools.py don't work since scons 0.98 - the solution is here - http://projects.blender.org/tracker/ind ... 9&atid=125
Xray

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:03 pm

I've tried to compile Yaf(a)ray SVN 201 on Windows XP with MSVC 8 and scons 0.98.2. Everything compiled and linked fine with exception of GridVolume - I received linker errors

Actually, I did try to use the noise stuff you get the errors from in the GridVolume, but it's no longer in there, at least I can't spot it. So I'm a bit puzzled, how you can have a version where these problems occur. Can you maybe upload your GridVolume.cc somewhere?

On the other hand, GridVolume isn't used yet, so you should be able to remove it from the SConscript without any problems.

By the way, lines 2 and 5 in tools/buildtools.py don't work since scons 0.98 - the solution is here

Thank you for that, it'll probably be handy soon. ;-)

and I still get the script error when trying to view a material preview.

Maybe using this ugly workaround to allow material previews in the Python GUI was not one of the best ideas. ;-)

Bert
bert_b

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:03 pm

It turned out that the same errors occur when SkyVolume and NoiseVolume is being linked...
PS: I've changed the link command a little bit and the libraries linked!
From
    link /nologo /dll /out:build\volumes\GridVolume.dll /implib:build\volumes\GridVolume.lib /LIBPATH:build\yafraycore /LIBPATH:src\yafraycore yafraycore.lib build\volumes\GridVolume.obj
To:
    link /nologo /dll /out:build\volumes\GridVolume.dll /implib:build\volumes\GridVolume.lib /LIBPATH:build\yafraycore /LIBPATH:src\yafraycore yafraycore.lib /LIBPATH:build\textures /LIBPATH:src\textures basictex.lib build\volumes\GridVolume.obj

But I still don't know whether this workaround will work while rendering.
PPS: I get Runtime Error R6043 when trying to render.
Last edited by Xray on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xray

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:05 am

Nice stuff i see here...

Give me a few days to catch up with all this, upgrading Ubuntu takes at least a half a day with my slow connection, and there's other people needing a responding internet too here...

The windows stuff always gives some extra headaches, but eventually i'll figure it out...
Lynx

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:22 pm

Thanks Lynx! It's great to know you'll also take a look into it. ;) Yafaray has become an important part of my 3d workflow, so keeping it compatible is a relief.

cheers,
Alvaro
afecelis

Post Fri May 02, 2008 2:39 am

minor request:

when alt-duplicating lamps in Blender (creating instances), Yaf(a)ray still treats each one seperately which makes it a bitch to tweak settings for big light arrays. could this be changed so that it references the original lamp always and changes all of them?
---
tom
StompinTom

PreviousNext

Return to Testing Builds