View topic - Yaf(a)Ray, on the way to release candidates

Yaf(a)Ray, on the way to release candidates

Users-contributed CVS development builds. Post here your questions about compiling the source code.

Yaf(a)Ray, on the way to release candidates

Post Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:56 pm

Here you will always find the latest builds of Yaf(a)Ray, the preparation for the next generation of YafRay.
Currently, blender code needs to be modified to export to the new render core, until a render API with plugin support for blender is available (or the new export code gets accepted to the blender repository), hence you will find blender builds here too:

In this thread, please only post about problems with the builds, bugs etc. to keep things tidy.
Feel free to post in/create showcase threads for discussing techniques, usage experiences etc.

Win32 builds:

> Yaf(a)Ray installer, SVN Revision 196 <
> Blender SVN, Revision 12680, trunk <

Ubuntu Linux 7.10 i386 builds:

> Yaf(a)Ray Debian Package, SVN Revision 196 <
> Blender SVN, Revision 12695, trunk <

Ubuntu Linux 7.10 AMD64 builds:

> Yaf(a)Ray Debian Package, SVN Revision 196 <
> Blender SVN, Revision 12692, trunk <

Note: The Windows builds were done with Visual C++ 2005. This means it requires the VC++ runtime components. You can get them here:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)
(if you have Visual C++ 2005 or .NET 2.0 runtime installed, you should already have them)

blender is packed with 7-Zip, don't be afraid of it, it's a nice small open source project with excellent compression ratio.
On Ubuntu, install the package "p7zip" and File Roller can handle them.

The Python GUI (bottom of Render Menu) requires Python 2.5 to be installed!
Newer versions of the script might not always keep settings from previous versions!

A tutorial: http://wiki.yafray.org/bin/view.pl/User ... ayTutorial
General Info, Features: http://wiki.yafray.org/bin/view.pl/UserDoc/YafaRay
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Lynx

Post Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:23 pm

could you please post the canges since 147?
would be nice :)
lemmi

Post Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:22 pm

A few minor bugfixes, only really new feature is the possibility to overlay a text with the most important render settings at the bottom of the rendered image (does not work via XML yet though)
Some more settings were added/migrated to the python interface also.

For blender i currently always use latest CVS code, so whatever changed there is also in my builds.
Lynx

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:29 am

Well I coulden't control myself anymore and had to try it out :D

Small bugreport: Setting AA pixelwith to 0.50 produces this crash when rendering a scene.
Code: Select all
Filter table y error

y: 0 dy: 0.4525.. dy0: 0

Tablescale: 63.9936 d: 29.1006 yIndex: 29

Only thing I've changed via the script is to set 'sun' , setting 4/4 AA and enabling clay-rendering.

hope it's useful and as always thx for your effort ! :)

Edit: dupliframes doesn't get exported - think tanktracks.
Claws

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:55 pm

1.)I had the crash with the Pixelwidth at 0.5 too.

2.)Another bug: Sommetimes Arealights spend the Light to the opposite side of the "pointing-line".

3) Don't know if it is a bug, or wrong settings (but i tested a lot): When i have the camera-view inside a box and for example 1 arealigt on, everything is fine. When i add then outside the Box a Sun, the sunlight comes through the Edges of the Box (even, if i put a second box round the first.)
quibodi

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:01 pm

New version, refactored Pyhton GUI (thanks bert), implemented caustic photon maps for direct lighting, added and non-infinite directional lights to GUI, fixed some bugs.
Lynx

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:28 pm

I been having problems with using the sun and area lights too. For one the photons start to leak even at a small radius of .17

I small bug I want to report is the cpu usage is jumping from 99 to 78 averaging at about 92-90%.

Also, could it be possible to make the script not to overide materials until you start changing them in the script's material edditor?

Oh, and great job!
gat

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:19 pm

I got this warnings with the new build:

With this settings:

Also, I think it might be rendering slower too :(
gat

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Hm i found some small problem that could've caused it, but without the scene i can't verify it.
Btw, using a search value of 1 will not give you good results ;) You better try something >50.

Some defaults are just pretty random and the descriptions may not be the best ones either, that's mainly because bert has to guess them from the wiki page since i don't have all defaults listed there yet, and the descriptions are very short too...
Lynx

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:21 am

Thanks, I don't really know much about those, so I was just expetimenting. :twisted:
gat

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:59 am

I tried yaf(a)ray with the build you provided. I installed it and used a scene that I rendered with yafray a while ago. After unzipping the blender cvs version you provided and setting the yafray path to yaf(a)ray in it. the render was finished in 1 second and the render was totally black. The same happens to the standard cube scene with cube, camera and light.

The blender commandlinebox says: render finished.... What am I doing wrong?
mrCarnivore

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:04 am

mrCarnivore wrote:I tried yaf(a)ray with the build you provided. I installed it and used a scene that I rendered with yafray a while ago. After unzipping the blender cvs version you provided and setting the yafray path to yaf(a)ray in it. the render was finished in 1 second and the render was totally black. The same happens to the standard cube scene with cube, camera and light.

The blender commandlinebox says: render finished.... What am I doing wrong?

Don't expect your previous blender/yafray scenes will work so simply, at least for now. You should tune the light, materials and render settings to get the expected result. Anyway I'm quite sure that your problem is due to the fact that you did not select yafray as your render in the blender settings (yes this still should be selected). If it was the case, select a light (lamp, spot, area or sun) and set it up correctely in the yafaray script.

Hope this will help you ;-)
Enrico
enricocerica

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:47 pm

You can also try and tag xml on and off. It did that to me too, its kind of random.
gat

Ramp

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:37 pm

Hi Lynx,

No Ramps support for now, right ? May we expect it in a future release ?

Thanks
Enrico
enricocerica

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:31 pm

New version, a couple of bugfixes again, added ambient occlusion.
XML loader has been renamed to yafaray-xml(.exe)
Lynx

Next

Return to Testing Builds