View topic - Bad habit...

Bad habit...

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:56 pm

I don't get it! what's so important about new releases? does a new yafray make you a better user? I think it doesn't. And if you feel it's so important, why don't you use the cvs version?

Anyway, I should better keep quiet, since I'm not helping to program this great raytracer (mostly because I don't know where to start reading, hope this changes a bit with the re-design ;) )

regards,
Driadan

PS.: I said programming, but it could also be documenting, or any other thing that coud improve it, those things are also important
I see connected people! - The seventh sense
Driadan

Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:46 pm

Driadan wrote:does a new yafray make you a better user?

This is another important question. I didn't speak about it, but I think that before claim for a new release it's good to learn with latest one, there are not too much people who knows to exploit YafRay to the utmost.

why don't you use the cvs version?

Here I must say that not all people must/can know how to compile YafRay.

I'm not helping to program this great raytracer (mostly because I don't know where to start reading, hope this changes a bit with the re-design ;) )

I hope Jandro could spend more time on redesign in a two or three months time. But please, don't take this sentence as an announcement :roll:

I said programming, but it could also be documenting, or any other thing that coud improve it, those things are also important

Yes, all help are welcome. A little tutorial with a bit of text and an example .blend file would be useful for other users. Or offering a blend file. All are a good help.

Luis.
Luis
Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:50 am

Luis wrote:
why don't you use the cvs version?

Here I must say that not all people must/can know how to compile YafRay.

Uhmmm, a little tutorial about compiling cvs... I'll try to do it after the exams... In linux is easy, in redmondXP... I'll have to try it first ;)

I hope Jandro could spend more time on redesign in a two or three months time. But please, don't take this sentence as an announcement :roll:

awww, man! XD (just kidding!)

regards,
Driadan
Driadan

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:55 am

Driadan wrote:In linux is easy, in redmondXP... I'll have to try it first ;)

That is the worst part to be explained. Compilation is easy, the problem is to obtain all software needed for working with.

In GNU/Linux is easier, because you probably have all needed libs and compiler. But in Windows you have to download MS Visual C++ Toolkit, python, scons, cvs client, then you have to download yafray source, libs for msvc... etc.. a pain if you are an user without compilation and programming knowledge.

Luis.
Luis
Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:57 pm

That's mainly the reason I'll do it, so it gets easier for people who doesn't know how to do it. But it'll have to wait a few weeks. Right now I'm too busy with my university tests.

regards,
Driadan
Driadan

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:47 am

Wow. Again, would everyone just calm down! I just made a small comment regarding announcements and some of you have taken it as the insult of the century.

I appologize for the mass confusion this has caused!
xeetstreet

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:09 pm

xeetstreet wrote:Wow. Again, would everyone just calm down! I just made a small comment regarding announcements and some of you have taken it as the insult of the century.

We are confused because there is no announcement.
If at first you don't succeed....
...so much for skydiving!
misterMel_Q

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:02 pm

misterMel_Q wrote:
xeetstreet wrote:Wow. Again, would everyone just calm down! I just made a small comment regarding announcements and some of you have taken it as the insult of the century.

I was referring to the content on this page: http://www.yafray.org/
xeetstreet

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:06 pm

xeetstreet wrote:
misterMel_Q wrote:

I know- at the top of that page, it is clearly stated "Latest version: 0.0.7".
At the bottom of the page is a little note on the progress of what should be 0.0.8, and when it may be released. There has been no announcement on the next release of yafray, just a very informative note of the work being done on 0.0.8.
As far as Blender- they commonly set target dates and miss them (I've never seen an open source project that hasn't missed a target date sometime). Ton Roosendal has done this himself, but he hasn't ever made an announcement either. This is true, even for the latest release.
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... le&sid=193
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... le&sid=200
If at first you don't succeed....
...so much for skydiving!
misterMel_Q

Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:27 am

misterMel_Q wrote:
xeetstreet wrote:
misterMel_Q wrote:

I know- at the top of that page, it is clearly stated "Latest version: 0.0.7".
At the bottom of the page is a little note on the progress of what should be 0.0.8, and when it may be released. There has been no announcement on the next release of yafray, just a very informative note of the work being done on 0.0.8.
As far as Blender- they commonly set target dates and miss them (I've never seen an open source project that hasn't missed a target date sometime). Ton Roosendal has done this himself, but he hasn't ever made an announcement either. This is true, even for the latest release.
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... le&sid=193
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... le&sid=200

Well, you sound like the authority on what I meant, what I said and what I was thinking so there's no reason argue.
xeetstreet

Previous

Return to News & Discussion