View topic - Upcoming YafaRay v4

Upcoming YafaRay v4

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Upcoming YafaRay v4

Post Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:38 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that I've been working for the last months on the new YafaRay v4. I'm making some fundamental changes to it (object primitives and intersections, which is the very core of the renderer) and I hope to be able to add some long requested features to YafaRay thanks to that work.

However, rebuilding fundamental parts of the YafaRay core is, as you can imagine, a long and hard process. I'm getting very interesting results and it looks promising, but still a long way to go before v4 gets ready to be released.

I'm making the changes with a focus on being able to add some (also long requested) material and lights features to the renderer, so I will try to come up with a new object management that can support them so we don't have again fundamental limitations that restrain the development of new features.

I don't want to give you any specific details yet, because this is still very unstable and I don't want to make promises I might not be able to fulfill, but I'm progressing (slowly as I can only do this in my free time, which is very scarce lately), but still progress is being made.

I will keep you informed! Best regards.
David Bluecame

Re: Upcoming YafaRay v4

Post Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:05 pm

great news David, keep it strong ! Primitives and ray intersection is the oldest part in YafaRay right now, because that code was inherited from YafRay, but at the same time is the most important one since ray intersection is the most frequent task in any raytracer.
Samo

Post Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:26 am

Wonderful news, it would be great to test out what you come up with. :)
gaurav

Post Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Thank you, guys! It's still too soon even for a pre-alpha, as I'm working to get back existing basic features like transparent shadows, mesh lights, etc with the new system. Once I get back all basic features I will upload the code and the first alpha. Still lots of work to do but I hope it's worth it.

Don't expect spectacular speed improvements. I only expect very modest improvements (at least in the beginning) bit I hope to make the foundation more flexible and powerful to get new features that have been requested for many years.
David Bluecame

Post Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:41 am

Glad to see that you're working on the development of the next version. Being a "one-man-band" team it's obviously a time consuming process and I understand it.

It would be nice to read your plan of action and prioritization list of features that you might eventually include in the next version.

Thank you for keeping Yafaray alive.
Harvester

Post Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Hello,

Just a quick update: still working on v4. The changes I'm making are very fundamental so it's being quite hard and long. However, I hope it's worth it.

So far, I'm just trying to get back "basic" features with the new system, and it's still too soon to say what will be included in the new version or even a list of planned features.

The reason I'm not telling is not because I want to be secretive, but to avoid raising expectations that I might not be able to achieve. Right now I have quite a few new features that "appear" to work but it's not the first time something appears to work and later on I discover a fundamental flaw in the design (or even the concept) that ruins the entire thing...

Anyway I understand you want to know something ;-) So, even at a risk of disappointing you later if I cannot make them work, a few features that I'm working on and I hope you will like are:
* No more waiting for the KdTree to build. I will use BVH structures that are *much* faster :-)
* Motion Blur (although I'm not sure if this will only work in Direct Lighting or if it will also work in Photon Mapping, which adds another dimension of difficulty to Motion Blur)
* Subdivision Surfaces and Displacement maps.

Of course there will be more, but too soon to say...

Once I have a stabilized foundation for v4 that works in the different platforms (Windows 32bit/64bit, Linux 32bit/64bit and Mac OSX 64bit) I will upload the "starting" pre-alpha v4 code and some testing builds. However, that's not yet going to happen soon. I'll keep you updated.
David Bluecame

Post Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:26 am

very interesting David. Native suport for subdivision and displacement are very needed features. Is opensubdiv the library you are implementing?
Samo

Post Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:10 am

Hello, Álvaro.

No, I'm using the subdiv surfaces in the Embree library.
David Bluecame

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:59 pm

Hello,

I just want to give you an update about the YafaRay v4 development.

This is progressing slowly because it's a major rewrite of fundamental parts of the renderer. Therefore the code is still extremely unstable and I have to figure out how to lay the foundations of the new system.

In any case I'm sure it will be worth it. I don't expect improvements in speed or RAM usage, although they could happen as a side effect in some cases. However, I expect improvements in basic functionality.

One of the things I've been working lately (and has been quite difficult) is the Flat/Smooth/AutoSmooth rendering. YafaRay has been traditionally very limited in this regard, only offering either flat faces in objects or an angle-dependant autoSmooth. However it was not possible (as far as I know) to set individually which faces would have to be flat and which smooth, or even set custom Vertex Normals. With the new system it will be possible to set custom vertex normals (only shared vertex normals, not individual per-face vertex normals for now although it might be possible in the future if there is demand).

The AutoSmooth function will no longer be mandatory if you want smooth rendering, as by default the new Blender-Exporter will export Blender's data about whether each face is flat or smooth and the shared vertex normals as well, so it will be more immediate to get similar results in YafaRay respect to the Blender renderers.

The AutoSmooth will still be an option, but as a new feature it will only auto smooth the faces marked as "smooth" and not the faces marked as flat in Blender, getting a behaviour also more similar to Blender.

Well... this took a while and was more difficult than I expected. I'm continuing now to try getting the code more stable and getting back features I lost with the foundation changes... I will keep you updated!
David Bluecame

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:35 am

Hi, David.

This is a Great News !!!

Regard

John
John_c

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:06 pm

Thank you, John!

Just a quick example of this feature. In this scene I selected some faces and set them as "smooth":

smooth4_scene.jpg
David Bluecame

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:16 pm

It's still way too soon and I can see some shadow artifacts, but these are my first tests with the new YafaRay v4 internal SubDivision + Displacement.

In this example scene, I merely created a cube and set it to be an internal YafaRay SubDivision object (a new feature in v4) and assigned an image texture as a displacement map. The cube itself has no subdivision modifiers in Blender at all, the subdivision and displacement is done in YafaRay (according to the desired YafaRay subdivision tesselation factor, which I set to 250 in this case)

I rendered this using Path Tracing, adding a shiny diffuse plane with red color for effect... ;-)

uv7_scene.jpg

uv7 - 001.jpg

I hope you find this interesting :-) but still a lot of work to do!
David Bluecame

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:48 am

very nice !! are you using already new ray intersection code on those images ?
Samo

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:34 pm

Hello, Álvaro.

Yes, YafaRay v4.x.x and all screenshots I will post about v4 are using the new intersection system.
David Bluecame

Post Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:54 pm

David Bluecame wrote:Hello, Álvaro.

Yes, YafaRay v4.x.x and all screenshots I will post about v4 are using the new intersection system.

:D great. Can you tell us a bit about what kind of results you get about speed and stability, please?
Samo

Next

Return to News & Discussion