View topic - New YafaRay v3.2.0-ALPHA21 for Development testing

New YafaRay v3.2.0-ALPHA21 for Development testing

Users-contributed CVS development builds. Post here your questions about compiling the source code.

New YafaRay v3.2.0-ALPHA21 for Development testing

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Hello,

Even when it's not yet properly tested, we have considered that it could be useful that you see a preview of the upcoming YafaRay v3.2.0, so I've uploaded the current development v3.2.0-ALPHA21.

An Alpha version means that it's not well tested and it could have significant bugs, crashes, etc. Personally I expect it to work ok, but I have to admit my testing has been only insufficient and superficial so far.

Please do test these new releases and let us know if you find any problems with them. You can see in the bugtracker what has been fixed so far and also in each link you will see the description of the changes since v3.1.1-beta as well as the builds for different OSs.

Something new in v3.2.0 is that we will have different types of builds, and not only Blender-Exporter. For example, we will also have Standalone builds for users of Wings3D, Edificius, etc, and also we have a working (but basic) Sketchup 2017 plugin.

Keep in mind that the MacOSX builds have been just barely tested (or not at all). Please do report any problems with them as well.

* Blender-Exporter builds here: https://github.com/YafaRay/Blender-Exporter/releases/tag/v3.2.0-ALPHA21

* Standalone builds here: https://github.com/YafaRay/Core/releases/tag/v3.2.0-ALPHA21

* Sketchup 2017 plugin builds here: https://github.com/YafaRay/su2yafaray/releases/tag/v3.2.0-pre-alpha
[EDIT 2017-03-16]: After a user reported issues with the Windows Sketchup plugin, I've repackaged it making a few changes:
- .rbz format so it can be easily installed using Sketchup 2017 Plugin Manager
- Added an additional dll
- Made a small change in one .rb file
I'm not sure if it will solve the problem but I hope so...

I hope you like them!
David Bluecame

Re: New YafaRay v3.2.0-ALPHA21 for Development testing

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:50 pm

An example of the Sketchup 2017 plugin in Windows 10 64bit. It kind of works, but it's still very basic, limited and probably buggy, but at least it works again :-)

sketchup 2017 YafaRay plugin example.png

(note: sketchup model downloaded from: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/b17a3711-fc92-485f-932e-11c7cbdf86dc/Rumah-Rico)
David Bluecame

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:40 am

Hi David thank you for you great work !
Samo

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:59 pm

Thank you David!
Harvester

Post Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:17 am

Thank you, guys! :D

After a user reported issues with the Windows Sketchup plugin, I've repackaged it making a few changes:
- .rbz format so it can be easily installed using Sketchup 2017 Plugin Manager
- Added an additional dll
- Made a small change in one .rb file
I'm not sure if it will solve the problem but I hope so...
David Bluecame

Post Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:35 am

David,
Thanks for the Alpha build. Today I tested all of the Wings3D YafaRay example files that are on my website. I am happy to report that all the files still work with the new Alpha build. As a matter of fact, the "Car Paint Metallic" and "Anisotropic Reflection" files look better in the new release.

Thanks,
oort
oort

Post Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:59 am

Hello, oort

Thank you very much, that's excellent news!

Unless something horribly wrong happens in the next few days, this Alpha will probably become the next Release almost as it is now.
David Bluecame

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:20 pm

Odilkhan Yakubov

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi, Odilkhan

I've answered you there.
David Bluecame

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:18 pm

As you know we have now good add-on which name is Filmic (Color management). So, is it possible to support with Yafaray?
And yeah, is that No recursion option which enable Pure Path tracing (PPT) is the same result as Cycles? Is it Unbiased?I compared one scene in two renders just in Cycles and in Yafaray. I converted from Cycles to Yafaray and it showns me exact the same render, but with fastest render time (thanks for russian roullete option) and whithout white-doted fireflies like Cycles. So, I've one question: Is that PPT code is both the same in Cycles and in Yafaray?
Odilkhan Yakubov

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:25 pm

Hello,

YafaRay internally exports the rendered data to Blender as linear RGB, so Blender can do whatever it needs with Blender Color Management tools (including Filmic). Therefore I believe it should work within Blender.

The problem is that the images directly generated by YafaRay (either rendering to file or using render into blender+secondary file output) will not go through Blender and therefore will not have any of the Filmic color management at all.

The same happens currently with other Blender Color management aspects such as cameras, curves, etc. Blender applies them internally but any images directly saved by YafaRay don't have them.

About PPT code, I don't know how Cycles does it, but PPT is a fairly standard integration algorithm, so I suppose they have many similarities.

Honestly, I don't yet understand well the current YafaRay integrators/materials code and I cannot say what's the "no recursion" for or whether it's biased or unbiased, sorry. I'm in the process of learning how all that works to try to improve it.
David Bluecame

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:35 pm

I've compared to render an scene with Cycles and Yafaray and I'm getting half the time with Yafaray (on cpu) than cycles for similar results. (Edit: in exterior render).

Great!
surena

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:09 am

David Bluecame wrote:Hello,

YafaRay internally exports the rendered data to Blender as linear RGB, so Blender can do whatever it needs with Blender Color Management tools (including Filmic). Therefore I believe it should work within Blender.

The problem is that the images directly generated by YafaRay (either rendering to file or using render into blender+secondary file output) will not go through Blender and therefore will not have any of the Filmic color management at all.

The same happens currently with other Blender Color management aspects such as cameras, curves, etc. Blender applies them internally but any images directly saved by YafaRay don't have them.

About PPT code, I don't know how Cycles does it, but PPT is a fairly standard integration algorithm, so I suppose they have many similarities.

Honestly, I don't yet understand well the current YafaRay integrators/materials code and I cannot say what's the "no recursion" for or whether it's biased or unbiased, sorry. I'm in the process of learning how all that works to try to improve it.

Ok, thanks!;)
@surena, yes, it is. I've the same result as well. But really don't understand how it is great code implemented to Yafaray for speed up the rendertime and plus much more noise free. :D
P.s.: surena, can you show your scene?
Odilkhan Yakubov

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Sorry, It was a work scene, I cannot show any.
surena

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:57 pm

Ok Surena.
So, is it bug or something else, i don't know. But why particles doesn't rendering when i was uncheck "Eyes-like" icon in Modifier>Particles or Particles>Uncheked eyes icon?
Odilkhan Yakubov

Next

Return to Testing Builds