View topic - Current status

Current status

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Current status

Post Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:38 am

Hi there. Haven't been here for a while since I switched to Cycles in production, but suddenly I realize that I miss Yafa, it's soft light, ease of use and speed. Guys, how's thing going out there with development? Is Yafa still alive? Any thoughts about future?
suomi

Re: Current status

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:00 am

Personally, I don't like Cycles. I use external renderers like YafaRay, LuxRender and (even) NoxRender.
I wish YafaRay had lots of developers and an active community like LuxRender.

YafaRay is still alive but condar said there's only one active developer at the moment.

I would like to see your Cycles work, by the way :)
kenanaybati

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:05 pm

:D Welcome back!
Yafaray is fantastic.

I know it lacks some features we find in render engines like vray that I often use.
But I just can't fit in cycles approach...cycles has now a good render but for me is a messy workflow...

I wish I had more time to promote this great render.
Arquitecto can be contacted here:
Arquitectos
Arquitecto

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:50 am

Well, the most depressing thing is that instances in yafa are not truly instanced. And that's sad.
suomi

Post Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:43 pm

I think that Yafa has true instancies compared to Blender internal or Cycles. Those 2 engines do not render modifiers to another linked duplicate objects, but Yafaray renders.
Yafaray example, linked objects and only one has Bevel modifier.
Attachments
Yafa instances.jpg
TynkaTopi

Post Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Well, maybe. But I'm talking about memory consumpsion. I just can't render my current in-progress scenes with Yafa because all of my 16 GB are not enough.
suomi

Post Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:51 pm

suomi wrote:Well, the most depressing thing is that instances in yafa are not truly instanced. And that's sad.

suomi wrote:Well, maybe. But I'm talking about memory consumpsion. I just can't render my current in-progress scenes with Yafa because all of my 16 GB are not enough.

the implementation of instances in yafaray is over KdTree, trully instanced but not particularlly efficient.... it can be really slow and eat a lot of RAM. Cycles uses BVH wich is faster, more efficient and less memory consumming.
I rememberd to be considered the implementation of QBVH in Yafaray but that was just an idea and today there is no active developers :(

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:12 am

I am sorry that I do not have answers for some of the legitimate questions you have. I believe that it is important at this point that we appreciate what we have got, which is a working engine which still delivers in certain cases and this place running thanks to Michelle. I only hope that we can have more developers in the future.
Samo

Post Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:34 pm

Not only developers. I'm not a coder. So, we should show our best work so that we encourage people to use YafaRay instead of trash cycles.
kenanaybati

Return to News & Discussion