View topic - Ideas for a summer contest

Ideas for a summer contest

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

2013 summer contest topic

Poll ended at Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:14 am

Travel
4
20%
Steampunk vehicles
6
30%
Macro photography
1
5%
Eureka!
0
No votes
Vanguardist Architecture
9
45%
 
Total votes : 20

Ideas for a summer contest

Post Mon May 27, 2013 7:54 pm

deadhour.jpg
"Dead hour" by Mookie. YafaRay summer contest 2009 - Crazy Machines

hi guys !

I would like to know what kind of subject you would like the summer contest to be about. Also I would like to hear your opinion about other questions like contest rules, time span, dates, prizes, etc. Regards.

Prizes Proposal
  • Winners will be selected by a jury composed by members of the YafaRay Team.
  • The winner will get two items from the Blender e-shop or alternatively two training books or DVDs from Amazon.
  • Second and third place winners will get an item from the Blender e-shop or alternatively a CG training book or DVD from Amazon.
  • There will be a Special Mention category for high-quality works not included in the first three places. They will get a DVD or book as well from the Blender e-shop.
  • All entries reasonably finished and deemed good enough will be included in the Contest Gallery.

Rules Proposal

  • Modelling. You can use any 3D package to model your work.
  • Post-processing. The final render might consis in a single YafaRay render pass or a post-processing and composition of different YafaRay render and data passes. Compositing against a real background is allowed but it should only contribute sky to the final result. Other effects produced with compositors like glare, motion blur, glow, vignetting, etc. are also allowed. However, volumetric effects in contained spaces and DOF should be achieved with YafaRay. Contenders can use any YafaRay release to render their entry, even experimental ones.
  • Resolution. Final render minimun resolution must be 1920×1080p lanscape or 1080 x 1920p portraït, using a lossless format such as PNG.
  • Work in Progress. Every contestant must open his/her own work in progress thread in the forum. The last image posted on everyone's thread will be the one considered by the jury for the voting process.
  • Midterm evaluation. To be considered and listed for a prize, contestants should have already posted in his/her own WIP thread at least 3 renders or 3D viewport screenshots by the contest midterm, showing significative progress. At that point, the jury would clarify if needed which contestants will qualify for a prize.

Dates proposal
  • Starting date: 1 Juliol
  • Midterm evaluation: 28 Juliol
  • Deadline: 26 August 00:00 h. CEST
User avatar
Samo
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Spain

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Wed May 29, 2013 7:22 am

dates proposal added to the first post
User avatar
Samo
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Spain

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Wed May 29, 2013 8:37 am

Only a idea:
To promote the use of other exporters, I propose the participation using Wings3D, SketchUp or Softimage.
I am going to try to present a work realized with Softimage, although not between in final competition..
Greetings..
povmaniac
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:01 am

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Wed May 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Great news ! Contest is one of the best way to promote render engines. But I guess we should allow to use more compositing tricks such as glare, glow, mist effects,etc...made with the blender node compositor. We keep in mind that main passes are produced with Yafa ( raw render, Ao, color, glossy and shadow passes for example). Don't fool yourself, lot of kicking-ass renderings made with Vray ( to mention it) are heavily enhanced with post-processing and several passes. Raw renderings with biased engines need this kind of tricks to impress !

Olivier Boscournu __ riofranco design  Montpellier _ France   http://www.olivier-boscournu.com/

User avatar
Rio
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:53 pm

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Wed May 29, 2013 9:40 pm

I agree with povmaniac that it would be great to include other exporters in the competition. If this is approved, I can let Wings3D users know about the new contest.

oort
oort
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:11 pm

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Thu May 30, 2013 7:47 am

oort wrote:I agree with povmaniac that it would be great to include other exporters in the competition. If this is approved, I can let Wings3D users know about the new contest.

oort


Rules Proposal

Modelling. You can use any 3D package to model your work.
Post-processing. The final render may consis in a single YafaRay render pass or a post-processing and composition of different YafaRay render and data passes. Compositing against a real background is allowed but it should contribute only sky to the final result.


...:)
povmaniac
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:01 am

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Thu May 30, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have added them to the first message. Besides I have changed prizes structure so the winner will get more stuff than the second and third place. I have also included provisions for all kind of compositing effects like the ones mentioned by Olivier except in two cases, where I have favoured YafaRay capabilities: Volumetric effects in contained spaces and DOF. I am collecting ideas for the subject of the contest, I will do a poll with them when we approach the starting date. Ideas collected so far:

Travel
Steampunk vehicles
Macro photography
Eureka!
User avatar
Samo
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Spain

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Thu May 30, 2013 2:42 pm

I will let Wings3d users know about the contest. Hopefully some will be interested. One more question... can YafaRay 0.1.3 Experimental be used to take advantage of SSS???

Thanks,
oort
oort
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:11 pm

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Fri May 31, 2013 6:34 am

oort wrote:I will let Wings3d users know about the contest. Hopefully some will be interested. One more question... can YafaRay 0.1.3 Experimental be used to take advantage of SSS???

Thanks,
oort


Yes, you can use any YafaRay release to render your entry. I have clarified that point in the contest rules.
User avatar
Samo
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Spain

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Samo wrote:Thanks for the suggestions!

I have added them to the first message. Besides I have changed prizes structure so the winner will get more stuff than the second and third place. I have also included provisions for all kind of compositing effects like the ones mentioned by Olivier except in two cases, where I have favoured YafaRay capabilities: Volumetric effects in contained spaces and DOF. I am collecting ideas for the subject of the contest, I will do a poll with them when we approach the starting date. Ideas collected so far:

Travel
Steampunk vehicles
Macro photography
Eureka!


If you admit a theme like "Vanguardist Architecture" I am sure me and some more people get in the competition too.
And please, please, make a thread on blender artists just talking about the competition to increase the yafaray users base!

And once again, thanks Samo for your hard work on yafaray.
Arquitecto can be contacted here:
Arquitectos
Arquitecto
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:42 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Arquitecto wrote:
Samo wrote:Thanks for the suggestions!

I have added them to the first message. Besides I have changed prizes structure so the winner will get more stuff than the second and third place. I have also included provisions for all kind of compositing effects like the ones mentioned by Olivier except in two cases, where I have favoured YafaRay capabilities: Volumetric effects in contained spaces and DOF. I am collecting ideas for the subject of the contest, I will do a poll with them when we approach the starting date. Ideas collected so far:

Travel
Steampunk vehicles
Macro photography
Eureka!


If you admit a theme like "Vanguardist Architecture" I am sure me and some more people get in the competition too.
And please, please, make a thread on blender artists just talking about the competition to increase the yafaray users base!

And once again, thanks Samo for your hard work on yafaray.


sure ! subjects proposed so far are:

  • Travel
  • Steampunk vehicles
  • Macro photography
  • Eureka!
  • Vanguardist Architecture
User avatar
Samo
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Spain

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:23 pm

All the topics submitted so far are great, I will definitely participate in the competition!
User avatar
mookie
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Poland

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:38 pm

I totally agree with all the guys above me… I mean, the guys who will beat me once again ! :lol:

Sorry if my English is not correct.

User avatar
bobo
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Perhaps there is a way to invite more contestants to this event, we should all spread this news among other forums, in our own nations. Yaf(a)ray is so neglected among Blender users totally without any particular reason.
User avatar
mookie
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Poland

Re: Ideas for a summer contest

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:16 am

Hi there

I have updated the first message with a poll to choose the contest topic. It will run till Juny 30. Please vote!
User avatar
Samo
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:39 am
Location: Spain

Next

Return to News & Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron