View topic - 2011 Economic Report

2011 Economic Report

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Re: 2011 Economic Report

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:53 pm

Some of these thumbnails are ok but some of them are below avarage. I would like to see bigger, high quality images that would say: see, brother, Yaf(a)ray is used for proffesional work only!
mookie

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:20 pm

I understand that developing Yaf(a)ray is really hard when it's a non-profit work. Perhaps it would be better to eliminate existing bugs, forgetting about new features and launching new official Yaf(a)ray release?

Some important bug remains, particularly the memory leak on Linux. In the bug tracker alone there are like 50 bugs pending revision. Some of these bugs are really old. I think it is not right to tell people that YafaRay is stable when so many bugs remain. I believe that the fact that YafaRay 012 is going to be in beta state for a while does not matter as long as the core features work. But we have to be honest and transparent about it. Google keeps some of its services in beta stage for years. Besides, this situation is not going to be solved overnight, even with a developer working full time on it. YafaRay development isn't a joke anymore. It is now a big complex poorly documented source code with many unfinished development lines.

What I believe needs improvement is the way we deliver the releases, maybe at this point an installer would be a better option. We should devote the download page only to download 012 beta. Also irradiance cache and SSPM usage need to be documented.

Some of these thumbnails are ok but some of them are below avarage.

YafaRay galleries have never been an elitist recollection of best works done with YafaRay, but the best works done by every habitual member of this community, which is a different concept. We try to give exposure to everyone as soon as they start producing good works with YafaRay and they get to post them here. There is a lot work produced with YafaRay that never gets posted in the forum, even renders for medical thesis.

I feel pretty happy with the site now, maybe some sections are too big and loosen from the main structure, but I think we are still far away from a site rebuild.
Samo

One way to generate more money

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:36 am

Today Yafaray released 0.12 beta 3 and i could finally test Yafaray in OS X.
I have been waiting for this since i started with Blender aug 2010 and just testing it tonight almost made me pee my pants of joy.

One way to generate more money to the Yafaray project could be that people who really knows how to do nice Yafaray scenes would make video (or text) tutorials that users would pay to download.
This way the makers of the tutorials could donate their skills and time and new users can pay for a nice video and sample files to download.
Good tutorials is for me the most important way into a new tool and to get inspired.

I hope future support/releases like todays beta 3 for OS X will enable me and others to keep learning and using Yafaray.
I'll celebrate this day with a $100 donation to the "YafaRay Code Sprint 2012"

Cheers :D
Jakerlund

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:59 am

Hi Jakerlund

Thank you very much for your donation indeed. Donations is a huge source of motivation for us to keep up the good work.
Samo

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:30 am

Getting experienced users to make tutorials would be brilliant. They don't even have to be 2 hour epics, maybe small tutorials mixed with larger more expensive ones? - Like 5 dollars for a 30 minute video and 10 for an hour and so on. I would pay for some tutorials on using yafaray rather than searching for an hour trying to find what I need >.>

Also for publicity maybe a youtube channel would be a good idea? Show off animations and so on. I can upload an animation that someone gives me showing off the "best of yafaray" to youtube (stills/animation), I have about 2000 subscribers on my account and I haven't uploaded anything really too useful on it for a while :P - So i could put a link to the yafaray channel as well as to this site. I'm also capable of running ads on said video and could allow revenue from that to go towards the project.

Awesome Idea is Awesome?
RealityFox

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:12 am

I agree with others that suggest video training for sale, even if they are short. If the price for these is reasonable, $10-$15 range, but really help new users jump start they're Yafaray experience it would be an easy sell.

As for a youtube or Vimeo channel this is another great idea, nothing beats that approach for exposure. In my opinion this is why Blender has gotten where it is... it just has the most easily accessible training around. I personally have access to one of the other major commercial 3D packages but it sits idle simply because the community is nowhere near Blender. How about even starting with quick 5 minute tips... for example here are some pretty typical settings.. (when to use DL, Photon, PTracing etc.) this is what they do... here are some basic material setups etc. All that will create a buzz and keep people interested.

Once I get to the point where I feel I can have something to teach, I wouldn't be opposed to start posting some basic tutorials
comeinandburn

Previous

Return to News & Discussion