View topic - Mo's entry: FPS Legend

Mo's entry: FPS Legend

From December 1 to March 21, 2012

Mo's entry: FPS Legend

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:52 am

banner.jpg

Better late than never, as they say... :)

Here's my entry for this contest. After some testing I've done and a bunch of different ideas for several topics, I've decided for the new era theme. I will try to depict the time when videogames stopped to be monochrome unshaded triangles that went "blip", "blip", and actually started to be cool. :D

I'll try to do an animation, because I have still much to learn in this field, but considering the late time of the entry and the fact that I'm quite a noob as animations go, I don't make any hard promises. But if nothing else, I will produce a still shot.

Good luck to everyone!
_Mo_

Re: Mo's entry: FPS Legend

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:00 am

First WIP;

Without The Shotgun, videogames would be nothing... :)

wip1_shotgun-out.jpg
_Mo_

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Some new wips. I've created the arms, gloves (recycled from a previous model) and the rig for the whole system. The rig turned out as I hoped; nice & easy to operate. The pivot point is at the right hand grip. You just point the gun at something and the arms (with some elbow tweaking) follow naturally, reloading motion is also easy.

I decided to do texturing & materials a bit cartoon-ish and less realistic.

wip2_arms.jpg

wip3_arms.jpg

C&C are welcome.

Next thing will probably be a short animation test.
_Mo_

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:24 pm

I've been playing with muzzle flash effect.

In the example below the flash is rendered with Blender internal, while everything else is with Yafaray. I have managed to rig a pure Yafa rendered shooting animation, with an meshlight for muzzle flash, but it looks uglier and requires more complex composition efforts to get rid of the meshlight sharp borders.

Can I use Blender internal for achieving this effect? (and maybe also for smoke, unless it can be satisfactory done in Yafaray - I have still yet to test smoke)

flash-BI0002.jpg

flash-anim.gif
flash-anim.gif (736.66 KiB) Viewed 18909 times
_Mo_

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Looks very good so far. I have a problem alike you, but I would like to use SSS... how did you create your skin?
projecteagleeye

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks. The skin is a glossy shader with lower exponent and lower amount of reflection. In my case the camera will be in the "first person shooter" position and hopefully there will be action.., so the skin on those hands won't be very exposed.

But I also plan to do a monster enemy and for that SSS would be really nice to have, yep...

BTW, if you are referring to the skin in the last post - those SSS looking glow is just leaked photons :D
_Mo_

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Yes I meant the skin in the last post :D . Nice look anyway, so "it's not a feature it's a bug".
projecteagleeye

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:48 pm

projecteagleeye wrote:so "it's not a feature it's a bug".

hehe :)

I've been trying to create a satisfactory muzzle flash only with Yafaray, but this is the best (=not good enough) I came up with:
muzzle-flash-yafa.jpg

The problem is that the meshlight used for the flash is embedded in the beauty pass and it's hard to impossible to cover it's sharp edges with compositing techniques. If Yafa would support invisible emitters (that still cast light), then it would be do-able.

Unless someone has any suggestions how to tackle this problem, I will need to use Blender internal for the muzzle flash effect. Actually only the material ID pass, so technically it won't be a rendering :)
_Mo_

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Did you try to use a seperated render layer and then compose adding some blur nodes (might sound stupid cause you allready tried :S )?
Why do you want to include the original shape in the beauty pass, you could still make it stay in-shap with blur nodes and only have softer edges?
projecteagleeye

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:34 pm

In the last shot I used a meshlight for muzzle object, so in Yafaray (which doesn't support render layers) everything is included on the final render. Then I rendered the meshlight again, this time alone and tried to mask it over the whole render. But since blur works in all directions, not just "outwards", it's impossible to cover the sharp edges by blurring an object that is the same size as the original.

In the previous render I used a point light in Yafaray to simulate the flash illumination, then rendered the muzzle object as a volume in Blender (produces better results than just a material ID mask) and composited it over the Yafa render. This is the best solution so far.

Here's a bit of texturing done. Now I'm a bit scared of render times. This frame (lowest allowed resolution for animation) took 3:45s to render on my i5 2500K and it's not that noise-free either. This, and Blender 2.61 is crashing like a madman when compositing is enabled... "bus error" & segfaults all day... :roll:

wip2.jpg
_Mo_

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 pm

which lighting method and what kind of light sources are you using?
Samo

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:42 pm

WOOOW!!
povmaniaco

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:49 pm

Samo wrote:which lighting method and what kind of light sources are you using?

Photon mapping, as always :)

In the last shot I use two big arealights positioned at the ceiling, one in the hall, the other in the room ahead. Those "lamps" at the ceiling are just SD emit. There's also the point light used for the muzzle flash (this is the first frame of the shooting animation) and a spotlamp in photon only mode just behind the camera, used to supply photons down the corridor.

This is just a test setting, but already I can't spare any of this lights and in the final setting there will be probably more + more objects. PM settings are also low; 16 FG samples, 2 AA passes with 2+6 samples, threshold 0.002.

The materials take it's toll; most are glossy + normalmapping

All said, I don't think its possible to improve render times much more.

EDIT; that noise down at the far end could be removed by adding more photon-only spotlights, to make the photon map better.

povmaniaco wrote:WOOOW!!

_Mo_

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 am

can you post the photon map please ?
Samo

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:46 am

Plenty and abundant :)

~700k diffuse hits, out of 500k photons shot:
pmap.jpg

Actually it turned out that the pointlight (EDIT: with sphere enabled) in-front of the barrel is the main culprit for high render times. That light is used only for simulating muzzle flash, so it will be present on the scene only 5 frames / shoot. If I remove it, the render time is now 1:45s - half of what it used to be :o :

wip3.jpg

Lesson learned: beware of pointlights!!

Thanks for your interest.
_Mo_

Next

Return to Winter Contest 2012 - Elisabetta Project