View topic - Frozen Land

Frozen Land

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Frozen Land

Post Sat May 21, 2011 10:38 am

Hi all... I want to ask for any tips to better multitasking during rendering ... When I turn ON render on my PC, here s frozen land...Every action cuts... Any tips to improve?
I have AMD Athlon II X4 , 4gb DD3 1333Mhz RAM, WIN7 64bit
Last edited by HANGAR on Sat May 21, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.hangardesign.ic.cz  www.hangardesign.wordpress.com /use google translate

HANGAR

Re: Frozed Land

Post Sat May 21, 2011 11:10 am

Hello Hangar,

if you have enough time to render your scenes, you can disable "Auto Threads" and set the threads
to use for render your scene by hand. Then you can handle your other actions on your os more
"balanced".

Bye, Olaf.
Olaf

Post Sat May 21, 2011 11:29 am

Have you ever been tempted to try a linux install? It makes much better use of the available RAM and you can continue working while the render is ongoing.
stoneage

Post Sat May 21, 2011 11:49 am

stoneage wrote:Have you ever been tempted to try a linux install? It makes much better use of the available RAM and you can continue working while the render is ongoing.

LOL, exactly my thoughts when I read the first post :)

I never had any problems of "frozen land". While Yafa is rendering (on both cores) I can still surf the net and watch movies or listen to music... or just work on with GIMP.

Linux PWNZ! :D

(but you can try to render with 3 threads or overnight)
_Mo_

Post Sat May 21, 2011 12:41 pm

I often render, surf, watch movies and paint textures all at the same time :oops:

My only experience with rendering was on linux until I started at university, and I was genuinely shocked at how Windows clogs up when rendering. It isn't as bad on 64 bit, but it can still be a problem. Rendering and sculpting is impossible without setting affinity.
stoneage

Re: Frozen Land

Post Sun May 22, 2011 5:39 pm

HANGAR wrote:Hi all... I want to ask for any tips to better multitasking during rendering ... When I turn ON render on my PC, here s frozen land...Every action cuts... Any tips to improve?
I have AMD Athlon II X4 , 4gb DD3 1333Mhz RAM, WIN7 64bit

you can select how many cores to use for render in yafaray (threads number) so if you have a quadcore try 2 threads and use the other 2 cores for Window. But in my experience with Linux, as every other linux user here, is that I can use 8 threads for render and still do some work on GIMP, playing music and navigating web... Of course the render time is not the same but the computer works fine. I stopped using Windows 1 year ago for several reasons ;)

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Re: Frozen Land

Post Mon May 23, 2011 1:03 pm

leaving yourself 1 thread free even if it is a SMT should be pleanty to do standard stuff even on windows. I have a core i3 on my laptop and rendering with 3 threads is usually fine. If that does not work for you then I suggest the problem is elsewhere.
loh

Return to News & Discussion