View topic - GH house revisited - interior

GH house revisited - interior

From January 5th to February 28st 0:00 GMT, 2011

GH house revisited - interior

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi All,

I decided to hone my Yafaray skills and I dug up Ronen Bekerman's old GH house model (http://www.ronenbekerman.com/forums/architectural-visualization-challenge-i-gh-house/ )
I am using a 2.56 build with yafaray 0.12 integrated and I am not disappointed !
Especially the fact that I can now seamlessly use the node system to do some color correction, vignetting and camera aberration is beautiful!

This image is lit by a single sun and this one renders under the hour on my dell vostro.
I am still al long way from rendering a Benoit and I know it could do with a little DOF, more/better furniture, different viewpoint, etc etc but all in all I am quite impressed by the quality of a single photon mapped light.

One point though, I am using the architect cam, but I strongly prefer blender's shift lens system, this way I can't combine it with blender's different renderers,like freestyle etc.

edit:
I am going to look into the license of the GH house model, if it is possible I'll github my blender model directory, textures, models and all !

edit:
I furnished the interior a bit, got some cool models off Moroso and designconnected, the rug is a blenderparticle patch that's been converted to a mesh, barca chair comes from blendswap.org.
Lights in the back are from iGuzzini, incl. ies. (which *rocks* btw, path issues aside - see below)
The vide lights are called Bokka lights from Karim Rashid I got from e-interiors.

The Erwin Hauer space divider I modelled myself, which turned out to be easier than anticipated, go mirror-, array-, solidify- and subsurf modifiers !

The sky is a an old trick, a textured dome, it turns out that that works better for me than hdri, but I might be doing it wrong. The sky is from Valentijn Kint (vknt.be).

I made my own raindrop texture using nodes, which I rendered to jpg and tweaked in gimp. (the top glass panes are only rained on at the bottom half) Works really well with the background btw.
Thank you Bertrand Benoit for the cool idea !

Pet Peaves.
I decided to keep a list of quirks I noticed while doing this excercise, in no particular order:
(I am using the latest graphicall yafaray 0.1.2/ blender 2.56 build on win64 and my own svn/hg build of yafray/blender all builds are 34800+, on an old dell precision dual xeon and a new dell vostro 3700, i5 450m, both 4gb mem)

- fireflies with photons, on matte materials ? What's that about ?
- (annoyance) IES files only render when given an *abolute* path, making rendering on a different machine more interesting than necessary.
- (annoyance) Unpacking all the textures before rendering is tedious and error prone, but I might be doing it wrong.
-(bug) the "blend" material system in 2.56 looks like it will damn well decide on its own which materials should be blended, every time you re-open the file you need to correct these materials. Sometimes (often) it crashes the UI.
-(pebkac ?) I modelled the glass panes double-glazed, but I'm not seeing cool inter-reflections, typical of double glazing. (the reflection would seem ghosted irl)
-(annoyance) Yafaray really doesn't like alpha-mapped textures with transparent shadows turned on, a billboard approach to vegetation is not feasible in this way.
-(bug) When combining textures in one material, yafaray does not use the UVtex mappings assigned to that texture, but uses the one that is active at that moment.

Wish List:
- Support for Blender's lens shift system. Architect camera is cool, (I think it gives the same picture as vrayblender with guessed lens-shift, need to check), but using Blender's lens-shift system is better on a whole, b/c it makes it possible to use mix render engines in post. (yafray, blender, freestyle, lux all in one image...)
- support for instances / proxies. I'm noticing the vray community is really getting into the rendering of vegetation and such, all made possible by vrayProxies. Luxrender supports instances. Yafaray would need this. It would be interesting to see how we could render forests with this without crashing the machine.
- duh, faster rendering please. You guys know the mitsuba guy ? Looks like he has this fetish for the latest and greatest of rendering algorithms, maybe give him a hand porting his work to yafaray ? Google summer of code for this ?
- (I think this is more a blender-node wish) support for camera-models and color profiles and such, support for reinhard et al. color mapping.
- (micro) displacement shader.
- particle (hair) shader.

Sander
Attachments
110218-interior_dusk_00_LDR.jpg
Interior shot. Rendered for 12 hrs, little exposure tweaking in post and that's it !
110213-00-dusk.e.jpg
Water droplet test a la Betrand Benoit
110208-00-sunny_cc.exr.jpg
Sunny view, dirtied up the concrete some.
110208-00-dusk_cc.jpg
Straight from blender into the forum!
GH House at dusk
Trees and such from xfrog free models (get them now!)
110206-yaf-04.jpg
Interior basic light
Last edited by sanderboer on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.
sanderboer

Re: GH house revisited

Post Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Very good mood, congratulations.
Samo

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:19 pm

Great mood indeed!
Can we see the post pro effects you are making?
Is it blender compositor or gimp?
Arquitecto can be contacted here:
Arquitectos
Arquitecto

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:52 pm

It's 100% blender !
In short I do a cool LAB-color trick I learned a while back, here's a link to another site with the same trick:
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/turn-ho-hum-color-into-wow-with-photoshop
In blender you decompose the image in YCbCr channels and run the channels each separately through a RGBcurves node.
Also, multiply it with a vignet, do some camera distortion and done !
(todo: camera dirt..)
Attachments
screenshot.09-02-2011 20.47.47.jpg
sanderboer

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:22 pm

bump, added sunny view.
sanderboer

Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:18 am

Very nice for the beginning ! :-)

I guess you will still add more details like light in the pool, grass, furniture, ambients etc.
I guess vignetting and chromatic abberation is nice to have but not one of the most important things in a picture, try to concentrade on the essentials ;-)

BTW: How long did it took to render and what hardware do you use ?

Kind regards
Alain
Intel Pentium 2.8 GHz 2 Cores, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 480, Blender 2.63a, Win 7 64 Bit
Alain

Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:42 am

Hey Alain,

thanks for the crit, I *do* need to pay more attention to interior assets and light fixtures and such. I just don't like doing interior design though...(sigh) but I must, for the art =)
I'm doing this mainly to hone my lighting and texturing skills, but starting a good asset library is a good thing too I imagine.

I'm rendering on my old dual single core (but hyperthreaded) xeon dell (old) with 4 gigs of ram, images are typically all-nighters.
The trees are the time killers in this scene. Apparently yafray *really* doesn't like the alpha maps in the leaves. I also tried the billboard trick, putting like 200 trees in the background (thus 200 faces), that was actually *worse* than the xfrog trees. Mainly because I needed to turn on transparant shadows, which killed the render times completely.
sanderboer

Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Does anyone have a tip for grass ?
I tried mesh patches, small billboards and converted hair particles, none of these are viable, economically nor aesthetically.
sanderboer

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:21 am

Never saw a good/economic solution for grass as well.

I would do it in Postproduction, I know it's alot of work as well but it looks the most realistic.
Maybe the geometry-masks of the Nodeeditor can help.

Kind regards
Alain
Intel Pentium 2.8 GHz 2 Cores, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 480, Blender 2.63a, Win 7 64 Bit
Alain

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:08 pm

Is "support for instances" on the feature request list ?

I know Luxrender has it and it is great for grass and such.
Yafray 0..1.2/blender 2.56 exports a mesh for every object I instance with particle/hair. This is how I did the trees in the background (above), it is one xfrog tree instanced 20 time with a scale jitter. I can see the exporter exporting 20 meshes as a result, hardly useful for grass.
I tried it, I used bamich's grass mesh patch, instanced it 5000 times, BI renders fine, yafray crashes while swapping memory (locked system).
sanderboer

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Normally that method works fine. I used it to render nearly 4 million polys. I would guess it may be a missing/incomplete feature for the 2.56 exporter.

On a related note, I heard if you join the instances so they are a single mesh, they export faster as the exporter only has to read one large mesh instead of several smaller ones.
stoneage

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Yafaray shoud have somthing like V-ray have - Proxy - for trees, grass and other vegatation, where we have milion of polygons. It`s simple file reading when renderings starts. Simply amazing for forest ect.
QuiMico

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:07 pm

I Agree, VrayProxy really sets it apart from the rest. It is the single reason people are rendering lush vegetation now,
sanderboer

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:28 am

The night renders just great. The only thing - the in-house light should be brighter, I guess.
suomi

Return to Winter 2011 Contest - Amazing Architecture