View topic - Winter contest ?

Winter contest ?

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Winter contest ?

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:41 am

Yes, we want to keep you busy rendering with YafaRay. We would like to organise a winter contest. The thing is, we would like to make it different from the summer contest, where a still image on a common subject is rendered.

The winter contest then should use a different format. Recently we have seen a number of good animations done with YafaRay. Our first idea has been that the winter contest should involve animation.

Our second idea is that people renders 30 seconds of Sintel, using the YafaRay engine, redesigning lighting and materials accordingly with YafaRay capabilities. What part of Sinter to render would be up to the participant, as well as the lighting method used.

We are aware that rendering anything such as Sintel scenes with the YafaRay engine, which is more oriented for stills, would be an big obstacles course, and we want you to be aware of it too. We would implement a set rules to make it easier. Tell us if you think if such a contest would be feasible. Another option is rendering an animation on a particular subject, like a 20s. logo intro for instance.

We would like to heard your ideas about how this contest should look like.

The prize as usual would be educative stuff, although this year we have more budget thanks to our participation in GSoC, so we welcome ideas about the prize format as well, as long as it is strongly education-oriented.
Samo

Re: Winter contest ?

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:48 pm

I have been really wanting to render a bit of sintel on yafaray so I think this is a really good idea. The only thing I would be worried about would be the length of the render times to get out 900 frames (I was only going to do a few high res stills). One way to make it a bit more doable and even things out for those without much computing power might be to set a fairly low resolution limit, 480p or less. 240 is really pretty small but it takes about 1/20th as long to render as 1080p. That can be the difference between three weeks to render and 1 day, or the difference between 1 day and 1 hour.

great idea for a contest
loh

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:34 pm

I quite agree with loh's remarks. Rendering a bit of Sintel would be very interesting but time-taking, especially if we consider the length you suggest. I just think 30 sec-long animation is way too much if one wants to keep a reasonable resolution.

That's why, I'd also love to make a story-telling still about winter. :wink:

Maybe both contests could be done. This would match most people's availability.

Sorry if my English is not correct.

bobo

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:02 pm

we can make two categories. This is my proposal:

Animation Category
  • Rendering with YafaRay a video based on Sintel production files.
  • Minimum video length = 25 seconds
  • Minimum resolution = 640x360 px.
  • Contestans can modify Sintel production files to adapt them to his/her own computing resources, YafaRay capabilities, or to improve the original work (camera, animation, texturing, modelling).
  • Lighting method used = any of the available in YafaRay.
  • Compositing and post-production of different YafaRay render passes is allowed.

Still Category
  • Rendering with YafaRay a still image based on Sintel production files.
  • Minimum resolution = 2048 x 872 px
  • Contestans can modify Sintel production files to adapt them to his/her own computing resources, YafaRay capabilities, or to improve the original work (camera, texturing, modelling).
  • Lighting method used = any of the available in YafaRay.
  • Compositing and post-production of different YafaRay render passes is allowed.

Prize
The winner will be selected by a jury composed of the YafaRay Team. The winner in each category will get:
  • One Sintel T-Shirt
  • One CG Training DVD or Book from the Blender e-shop, or from an online bookstore
Samo

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:11 am

Hi,
It sounds good for me. I might try the still as my skills are not enough to do an animation, yet.
Where can be the Sintel production files found, anyway?

About the prize, I think a BlenderCookie citizenship would be good as well.

Be good.
Koczek

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:03 pm

I don't think that rendering frames from Sintel is a good idea. I'm afraid that the number of participants will be twice lower than in the last annual contest.
mookie

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm

mookie wrote:I don't think that rendering frames from Sintel is a good idea. I'm afraid that the number of participants will be twice lower than in the last annual contest.

Hi Mookie

Can you explain why do you think so? also can you suggest how we should organise it?
Samo

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:26 pm

Sorry, Samo, for such a short message. Well, I guess rendering contests are very unpopular. As far as I remember such events involving Yaf(a)ray took place twice or so and brought only a few participants. Here not only you have to set up the whole scene but also render about 200 frames. Not only it deserves some serious skills but also a good hardware.

I would suggest lightning competition, reproducing a photography, painting. But such event should be really announced in the world. So far each Yaf(a)ray contest gathers about 10 participants while it deserves much more attention.
mookie

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:44 pm

I'm not concerned about the number of participants, but about the quality of the entries.
Samo

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:49 am

Quality is important but it's much more exciting to take part in the contest where there are many participants. I understand that rendering frames from Sintel would proof that Yaf(a)ray is a great engine for animation but it's just a bit too heavy project for Yaf(a)ray community, I guess.
mookie

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:53 am

The idea is departing from the summer contest idea. YafaRay is not tested enough in animations, and I have explained in the first post that rendering an animation in YafaRay is going to be nothing but an obstacles' course. That's why there is lot of flexibility in the rules I have proposed: Sintel scenes can be modified to adapt them to contestants' computing resources or/and YafaRay capabilities.

There are lot of scenes in Sintel, I guess that some of them can be more suitable to be rendered in YafaRay than others. Besides, http://www.corefarm.org is still operative. It is obvious that the animation category will be choosen by people with lot of computing resources.

Anyway I believe it is an step we should take on. The other alternative is proposing people to do a 20 seconds animation made from scratch, but with Sintel we already have the files.
Samo

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:49 am

Well, you're the boss here.
mookie

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:50 pm

mookie wrote:Well, you're the boss here.

No I'm not. This is supposed to be a collaborative thing. I'm an organiser. This is our project and our community. That's why I'm asking.
Samo

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:07 pm

Not that I think this thread needs to be flooded with people saying "yes, great idea"

but since there hasn't been anyone yet and I think that yafaray's use in animation is under represented:

yes, great idea
loh

Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Yeah, this sounds all right to me. :D

Sorry if my English is not correct.

bobo

Next

Return to News & Discussion