View topic - Orthographic camera broken in 545?

Orthographic camera broken in 545?

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Orthographic camera broken in 545?

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:40 am

Hi everyone,
As the topic says; is the orthographic camera broken in latest versions? I just tried rendering a 2d top view and all I got was the background color, but nothing rendered. Or has its setup changed somehow? I'm on ubuntu64, however if I reboot into windows and use 538, it's still working ok. The problem is that the scene is quite big now and windows crashes with it, my only chance is rendering it under Linux :(
regards,
Alvaro F. Celis
afecelis

Re: Orthographic camera broken in 545?

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:21 am

It might depend what constitutes 'broken' :)

Rendering the default cube here it 'works', but the render is the same no matter what lens size or camera distance I use. I don't know whether that is how orthographic rendering should work. I assume its not. :/

Is the architect camera a usable alternative?

I am rendering with -r548 on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit
stoneage

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks for replying Stoneage :)
Well, maybe not broken but "not implemented"? Since it's the new dev branch there might be things that haven't been worked on.
Here's the image in official 1.1 in windows:
It's totally an ortographic/2d top view, but then when I add the rest of the models/furniture, etc, windows can't handle its rendering so I have to finish the job in Linux; however, with the same scene and the same render settings all I get is the gray color in the background :(
So what I did was to use a regular perspective camera with a high camera angle and place it far away from the model. I get a bit of perspective in the model but I think I kinda like it since it shows a bit more details (like windows, etc), but I don't know if the client will like it.

My other chance would be to install both official blender and official yafaray 1.1 in Ubuntu and see how things go, but I don't know if they will replace my compilations of both properly. I don't want any crossed paths/links between the 2 versions.

cheers! :D
afecelis

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm on Ubuntu64 with 543 and the orto camera behaves like Stoneage said.

I think in your case you could easily render the whole scene "by rooms" in windows and then stitch the renders together.
_Mo_

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Yeah that's a possibility, though not the easiest one ;). Stoneage is on 548, I'm on 545 and you're on 543. I wonder if it's only broken in the version I'm using.

I'll try 538 dev version to see if it changes anything.

thanks for replying.
afecelis

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:44 pm

not sure what "Broken" means or not in this case... orthographic camera use Scale as parameter in Yafaray panel and it is not affected by blender camera settings
Attachments
orthographic.png

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:26 pm

Thanks for replying Condar. Which build are you using? Official or development version?
I know it's working in the official version, but since I'm using Greenthumb's "sevenblend" script to compile blender+yafaray dev, I don't want to break this installation by using both blender from Ubuntu's repos +yafaray official ;)
If you're using a development version, could you please try a top view of your scene?

cheers,
Alvaro

ps. As mentioned here, it seems like v538 is ok, v545 (the one I got) is not working and version 548 seems to be working again.

BTW. Could the testing builds be updated to 548 (or newer version if available)?
afecelis

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:30 pm

afecelis wrote:Thanks for replying Condar. Which build are you using? Official or development version?
I know it's working in the official version, but since I'm using Greenthumb's "sevenblend" script to compile blender+yafaray dev, I don't want to break this installation by using both blender from Ubuntu's repos +yafaray official ;)
If you're using a development version, could you please try a top view of your scene?

cheers,
Alvaro

ps. As mentioned here, it seems like v538 is ok, v545 (the one I got) is not working and version 548 seems to be working again.

BTW. Could the testing builds be updated to 548 (or newer version if available)?

I'm working with the last experimental version of yafaray (0.1.2 branch experimental) and Blender built from source (official Blender site) on Ubuntu 10.04 64 bits
Attachments
orthographic.png

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:39 pm

Mine does that too.
One question though. You seem to be scaling up. I was scaling the objects down, are you scaling the camera?

Also, I have a correction to make, I am using -r547.

-r548 still fails with qt errors. Sorry for any confusion.
stoneage

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:14 pm

stoneage wrote:Mine does that too.
One question though. You seem to be scaling up. I was scaling the objects down, are you scaling the camera?

Also, I have a correction to make, I am using -r547.

-r548 still fails with qt errors. Sorry for any confusion.

yep... scaling up the camera. :)
Attachments
camera.png
camera.png (6.41 KiB) Viewed 12406 times

condar

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:13 pm

condar wrote:yep... scaling up the camera. :)

Doh! :)
stoneage

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:29 am

I'm working with the last experimental version of yafaray (0.1.2 branch experimental) and Blender built from source (official Blender site) on Ubuntu 10.04 64 bits

Thanks for the info Condar. I truly hope they update the testing builds soon. The ones currently available are becoming a bit outdated and missing new and interesting features. :D
afecelis

Return to News & Discussion