View topic - Blender World Cup 2010

Blender World Cup 2010

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Blender World Cup 2010

Post Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:42 pm

Blender World Cup this year is sponsored by Indigo Renderer, and as such the topic is focused on realism. More specifically the challenge is to make a single shot that has the look and feel of a stop motion film. Because the inspiration is shots made by physical cameras with physical models, GI and realistic reflections will be a must. Yafaray should be well suited to the task.

I hope to see many entries with our fair renderer,

http://bwc.blenderartists.org/2010/index.php
loh

Re: Blender World Cup 2010

Post Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:33 pm

loh wrote:Blender World Cup this year is sponsored by Indigo Renderer, and as such the topic is focused on realism. More specifically the challenge is to make a single shot that has the look and feel of a stop motion film. Because the inspiration is shots made by physical cameras with physical models, GI and realistic reflections will be a must. Yafaray should be well suited to the task.

I hope to see many entries with our fair renderer,

http://bwc.blenderartists.org/2010/index.php

It should be called "Indigo World Cup 2010" and so announced only in Indigo Forums. The contest is only to promote a NON Opensource Render Engine using Blender as a hook to the opensource community. It's the same strategy Indigo team used (and still use) with the freeware version of their render engine trying to get more costumers and at the end they decided to go commercial letting all the community alone (in other words: they don't give a f^%$ about open source community...)... you can only use Indigo and maybe (just maybe) Luxrender for the "Blender" contest (no other render engines), but the final entry needs an Indigo file so at the end it's not about Blender or Luxrender but Indigo... I think it is offensive and they should stay away from using Blender as an excuse to sale their product with false statements.
As an example, the last Archviz contest from Ronen Bekerman page was fantastic, good prizes, excellent artist level (I think "excellent" is not enough :D) and without restrictions about render engines or 3d editor software.
Now even if they change the rules to let other render engines, I'm not interested.
The rules for the contest had been modified since the announcement due the reaction of the Blender community but now it's too late to hide their first intention.

Indigo contest? thx but no thx. :D

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:59 pm

It says that Indigo and Lux (as an opensource alternative) are allowed. Limiting the usage of licensed renderers to Indigo makes sense, since they are the sponsor, but limiting opensource renderers to Lux doesn't (well probably they want to keep the contest in the 'unbiased renderer' category). They are snobs :P
_Mo_

Post Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:25 pm

hum... I have made a question to the contest organisers about the rules, since they seem to disregard YafaRay as an alternative for it. I suspect it has to do with the fact that Indigo guys are the main sponsors.

I'm not going to do too much noise though, it is their contest and they set the rules. Besides, the YafaRay annual contest is about to start as well, and that will draw all my interest, since I want to participate out of the contest this year.
Samo

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:52 am

Great news, Samo! I took part in the last two Yaf(a)ray contests and I really would like to try my luck once again. When will it start?!
mookie

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:58 am

mookie wrote:Great news, Samo! I took part in the last two Yaf(a)ray contests and I really would like to try my luck once again. When will it start?!

Thanks for your interest. It starts next Tuesday 15th, in a week
Samo

Return to News & Discussion