View topic - Architecture and Yafaray

Architecture and Yafaray

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Re: Architecture and Yafaray

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:11 am

stoneage wrote:(...)most of the renders made with Blender are lousy. :D
- unfortunately there are people who thinks this way.

Yafaray and VRay are just a tools. It's a matter of human to use it wisely.
stoneage wrote:What they were produced with should not influence my opinion
- I agree a little with that. Of course there is always a "spark" when I see outstanding work made with less advanced tool :D - because it proves artist's skills.

IMO, to sum things up: For Architecture stuff Yafaray is a good tool. Not dream, not ideal, but works in many situations and there is always a helping hand on the Forum.
For "artistic" stuff - Yafa works ideal for me =]

ps. Disadvantages in "Yafa for Architecture" are also: no Instancing, problems with high resolution renderings, problems with huge data scenes, lack of "real camera" setting maybe (ISO, exposure etc)
[Hardware] | Intel Core Quad Q6600 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | GeForce 9600GT
[Software] | Win XP SP3 | Blender 2.49 | Yafaray 0.1.1
xelptic

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:14 am

@stoneage: Blender is really with 7miles boots jumping..you can see it everytime in new version a lot of progress and work...or...what is professional tool...?.. 3ds MAX..?.. I am student and I havent 4 500 eur to pay for anything, what I dont need....or CINEMA..?.cheaper ..but detto...BLENDER IS GREAT SUPPORT FOR MY WORKS, MY DESIGN AND ARCHITECTURAL ACTIVITY...I have great detailfull designs developing, and I can use our company Rhino license...but....why..?.. not reason..blender is my full support , and with yafaray is it perfect platform...I told you my look at ,,perfect visualisation" in V ray...I dont like it...that s all...
@all: Lets talking about Yafaray and his funcionality in architectural space...tips, news, experiens...

www.hangardesign.ic.cz  www.hangardesign.wordpress.com /use google translate

HANGAR

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:51 am

I have to say i dont dislike v-ray or v-ray results.
But I am definetly a yafaray supporter at almost any cost :wink:

Anyway, I want to make a simple and clear challenge for those who don't believe in yafaray capabilities.
And I dont make part of the yafaray team. I am just a simple yafaray user.

Give me a V-ray render with model and textures and I say:
"YAFARAY CAN DO THE SAME OR BETTER!"
Manuel_Ramos

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:53 am

Give me a V-ray render with model and textures and I say:
"YAFARAY CAN DO THE SAME OR BETTER!"

It would be nice. But I'm afraid, this is more wishful thinking ...
radek

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:07 pm

radek wrote:It would be nice. But I'm afraid, this is more wishful thinking ...

This is not a wishful thinking. Its just a practical and realistic challenge.
Manuel_Ramos

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Manuel, I am your side...We can manage any challenge...only for yafaray architects ..or...only about arch in Yafa...good idea

HANGAR

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:45 pm

There is already an architectural challenge available here:-
http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/ ... =11&t=1473 :D

If you can find someone to render it with V-Ray it might make for some interesting results.

There is also this challenge just finished:-
http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/ ... =15&t=2908
http://www.ronenbekerman.com/the-gh-hou ... s-renders/

I'm sure many were made with V-Ray, and the model is still available for download. Why not have a go with that ? :D
stoneage

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:34 am

@stoneage: I look at this small internal challenge... about this bigger challenge, every entry, without one or two, was made in Vray...disgusted...Because of the principle will not be this suck monopol used. Everybody want to be winner, everybody must Vray use...fuck this tenet...

HANGAR

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 am

Come on, Vray is production proven and well integrated in the software the industry is using. Ofcourse most renders in the 'GH house' contest were done with Vray - thats what professionals use most.

I like Yafaray, Blender & the whole opensource concept & philosophy (I use only opensource software), but I don't go around bashing licensed software because its 'monopol', 'sure shot' and 'too perfect'. I'm actually weighting the option to buy a standalone Vray license, to use it alongside Yafaray for my future hobby & professional work.

Use what you know, like and what you are productive with.

And, yes, Yafaray is IMO very suitable for archviz, actually that's the segment where it excels most.
_Mo_

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:10 am

_Mo_ wrote: I'm actually weighting the option to buy a standalone Vray license, to use it alongside Yafaray for my future hobby & professional work..

As you want , Mo....But after 0.1.2 with new integrated system with 2.5,or 2.6 blender release this will be pounce..I hope

HANGAR

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:12 am

_Mo_ wrote:And, yes, Yafaray is IMO very suitable for archviz, actually that's the segment where it excels most.

Because yafaray in its current state doesnt really like things which move ;)

*puts on flameproof vest and hat*
Kunden-besser-informieren.de

Images posted by me are solely posted for the purpose of the yafaray project. Any other commercial or non-commercial use, modification etc. of my images and its content requires my written permission.
heretic

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:29 am

HANGAR wrote:As you want , Mo....But after 0.1.2 with new integrated system with 2.5,or 2.6 blender release this will be pounce..I hope

I'm looking forward to it and hoping as you are, believe me. :wink:

Yafaray (as of now) is suitable for hobbyists, freelancers and small (starting) business, but it won't fit in big companies pipelines. You can compare Yafaray/Vray with Blender/Max. Blender is a huge project (in comparison with Yafaray), but it's still not widely used in commercial circles. Both of them are steadily improving and more and more people use them, but don't expect that the industry will pick them up anytime soon. (look at Linux, man - an awesome system, suitable for almost everyone, but still with an insignificant desktop 'market share')
_Mo_

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:57 am

@ Mo: Look, I am product designer ...furniture designer....I am working about interiors and exteriors...Me and my work together, we proof that s Blender with plugins like Yafaray fully sufficient for professional industrial design and architecture.... Max and Vray is only lifestyle...and this is really embarrassing...

HANGAR

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:24 am

HANGAR wrote:@ Mo: Look, I am product designer ...furniture designer....I am working about interiors and exteriors...Me and my work together, we proof that s Blender with plugins like Yafaray fully sufficient for professional industrial design and architecture.... Max and Vray is only lifestyle...and this is really embarrassing...

If professional artists can get great results buying a 3dsmax and Photoshop/Painter license, a couple of Vray licenses and 1 or 2 i7 core machines (good for them :D)... why in the earth should they change to opensource software and spend lot of time learning about Linux, Blender, Yafaray and GIMP?
On the other hand if professional artists learned how to get great results with Opensource software (Linux+ Blender+Yafaray+Gimp).... why in the earth should they spend 3000 or 4000 US in licenses that they don't need?.... They should donate to Opensource software projects instead :D
It's all about choice... people is free to choose whatever they think is better for their job/hobby.
I'm a happy yafaray and opensource software user (I'm not an architect and still need to learn a lot to be a 3d artist :D)... that's ok or me.
Last edited by condar on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:17 am

HANGAR wrote:@ Mo: Look, I am product designer ...furniture designer....I am working about interiors and exteriors...Me and my work together, we proof that s Blender with plugins like Yafaray fully sufficient for professional industrial design and architecture.... Max and Vray is only lifestyle...and this is really embarrassing...

I never said it's not sufficient or not appropriate (on the contrary) and I'm glad you use it.
As condar said, if a company bought a bunch of expensive software that's what they will use, they won't be reverting to opensource. OTOH, a starting company or business is able to chose which path to go.

Max and Vray is not lifestyle is just when you have a shitload of money to start with, you wont be even considering the opensource option. Why bother scrapping the internet for resources when you can just buy everything - from support to model / material / texture packages which fit right into your production pipeline?
_Mo_

PreviousNext

Return to News & Discussion