View topic - Architecture and Yafaray

Architecture and Yafaray

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Architecture and Yafaray

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:06 am

Dear architects and interior designers....What s your attitude about Yafaray in architecture and interior visualisations?

www.hangardesign.ic.cz  www.hangardesign.wordpress.com /use google translate

HANGAR

Re: Architecture and Yafaray

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:13 pm

This in not question only for architects....Every comment is welcome...

HANGAR

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:06 pm

I think Yafaray is a great tool for this task :) Apart from some bugs or "tricks" we have to do , final result can be really awesome . At our studio we use Yafaray for interior vis. and our clients are content:)
[Hardware] | Intel Core Quad Q6600 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | GeForce 9600GT
[Software] | Win XP SP3 | Blender 2.49 | Yafaray 0.1.1
xelptic

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:24 pm

I am a portuguese architect and Yafaray is absolutly perfect for me :D
The only features I miss is irradiance cache and displacement maping, althout we can workaround all this 8)
Manuel_Ramos

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Yafaray is really powerfull tool for arch and interiors, universal system....I love Yafaray like everyone on this forum, hehe, but one system missing me...Irradiance Cache...fast render solution...Photon Map is relative quick, I know, but on my machine, Athlon X2 64 4400 + , 3 gb RAM , Ati Radeon HD2600 XT 512 is 3 - 5 hours for good 1200x700 result too much.... I have two similar machines, but Yafaray is not support MASTER - SLAVE network rendering system...and Catmull Rom....antialias filter...great detail...much better like Mitchel....

HANGAR

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:35 pm

Manuel bingo.....Irradiance Cache...we need it...when Yafaray have been Irradiance Cache integrated, this will be great day for us....

HANGAR

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:47 pm

In my opinion, his best advantage is the ratio: speed / complexity / quality / price. [Here can I say that he is more better than e.g. Luxrender (// waiting for OpenCL)]

In the first place is it mainly on render settings and other values of concrete program. (Materials, lights etc.) Render output from YafaRay with perfect render settings can be more better than output from V-ray or Indigo with a poor settings. etc. (This is probably obvious.) But that he plays a different league than the previously mentioned programs is also obvious. Let's be realists. :D
radek

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Radek, thanks for your attitude...what do you think..?what s better on Vray..?..Vray can made really impress result, but I dont like one aspect of this renderer....most perfect...looks better like reality...and I dont like it...

HANGAR

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Radek, thanks for your attitude...what do you think..?what s better on Vray..?..Vray can made really impress result, but I dont like one aspect of this renderer....most perfect...looks better like reality...and I dont like it...

Oh come on, this is unfair. What you are complaining about is what users do with V-Ray, you can't criticise the software for that. V-Ray is just as capable of other styles of output as any other renderer.
stoneage

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:17 pm

V-Ray is powerful renderer - we can't deny it. It's design and oriented on fast commercial production. Support of passes, savings photonmaps, build in tonemapping etc makes it well made for commercial stuff where a lot of money (and griping)is involved - so there is also the money to invest in faster developing the program.
Yafaray on the other offers almost the same quality but everythings "grows" slower in this project so the "production/commercial" functionality is somehow lower - and we have to cheat software. And this is the price we have to pay when using yafaray on bigger projects.
When it comes to relatively simple projects - like static interior viz of house, or not-very-complex architecture yafaray shows it power. It's also fast when correctly set.

I was VRay user for 2years and sometimes it's very hard to set settings properly. Yafaray is simpler to set, when you learn it :D

I agree that most of the VRay renders look the same, "better than reality" - but I think this is kind of "fashion" right now, and many VRay users just follow tutorials and fashion and don't try to make something different (also this is what Clients wants :/ ) So problems stays in creativity, not in software. Both Vray and Yafaray allows to creative workflow - just in slightly different ways.
[Hardware] | Intel Core Quad Q6600 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | GeForce 9600GT
[Software] | Win XP SP3 | Blender 2.49 | Yafaray 0.1.1
xelptic

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:35 pm

@stoneage: I dont critise Vray....It s great renderer, but I dont like this ,,zeitgeist" look....battle of gilette sharped shapes and too differents between lines...It looks good...great...clean...we like it..but , I am tired from this spectacular fusion....I am tired from Zbrush composition of surface...When you want to know about it more, click to cgsociety.org ....and looks at this perfect works....this compositions are heavy weight, detailfull, hard to read....and this amateur perfectionalism is really art killing....
@xelptic: I know , what do you want to say...Only one system is really missing...in Yafaray..in this time...Irradiance Cache...this is central power of Vray...speed/result

HANGAR

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:07 pm

V-ray is on the top between renderers, it must recognize everyone who monitor this kind of 3D work. Some creations with him are simply indistinguishable from reality. If you find some really nice visualization, most likely is rendered in V-ray. (At least what I saw.) But having the best software does not mean being the best and being the best does not necessarily mean having the best software. And this is just a space for an artist. I hope. :)
Last edited by radek on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radek

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:10 pm

HANGAR wrote:@stoneage: I dont critise Vray....It s great renderer, but I dont like this ,,zeitgeist" look....battle of gilette sharped shapes and too differents between lines...It looks good...great...clean...we like it..but , I am tired from this spectacular fusion....I am tired from Zbrush composition of surface...When you want to know about it more, click to cgsociety.org ....and looks at this perfect works....this compositions are heavy weight, detailfull, hard to read....and this amateur perfectionalism is really art killing....

I have seen what V-Ray can do, and I have used V-Ray, but I still insist - and xelptic said the same - that this is the fault of V-Ray users and not the software. You can not claim that skillful use of a renderer is an indication that the renderer is somehow deficient. When Yafaray quality improves, are you going to claim that Yafaray has become bad? :D

:wink: btw you did criticise V-Ray - here is the quote:-
HANGAR wrote:but I dont like one aspect of this renderer....most perfect...looks better like reality...and I dont like it...

Maybe it is not what you meant, but it is what you said.
stoneage

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:27 pm

@stoneage: Try a simple scene and light test...and use different renderers....Yafaray, Maxwell, Flamingo, Brazil,V ray,...on same settings Vray looks different...at the firs look you can say - this is it....and this ice break from first look is really important for next situations...and this is it, why is Vray in ,,high orders" used most often. V ray is cool...especially for clients without 3d space imagination with feeling, they know how to look style visualization.

HANGAR

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:08 pm

I can already do that with V-Ray, Luxrender, Indigo, Blender, Yafaray. My point is I don't judge them for how they work, but for how they are used. There are two kinds of render - good, and bad. What they were produced with should not influence my opinion, in that a render made with V-Ray is not bad simply because it was produced with V-Ray, that would be to display prejudice. :(

I do think current architectural renders are often dull and homogenous, but I don't blame the software. It is surely the work of an artist to make good art, not to denigrate this tool or that, because of what someone else did with it. :wink: You will next be telling me I cannot make professional work with Blender because you think most of the renders made with Blender are lousy. :D
stoneage

Next

Return to News & Discussion