View topic - Need for Yafaray?

Need for Yafaray?

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Need for Yafaray?

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:23 am

Hello guys... Last time I think about need for yafaray... it s not offensive or attack...I like Yafaray very much, a lot of my visualisations are made with this piece...But...after Aplha 4 /I think/ , when developers from Blender Foundation been focused on rendering, have Yafaray project any future.?..They are a lot of upgrades and integration GI promise and I think about importance Yafaray for next days.... 2.51 upgraded version have Indirect Ilumination with Gather/cache system and this combination is really fast with great results...It is possible that it should understand.Maybe not....only my mind ideas from last days...

www.hangardesign.ic.cz  www.hangardesign.wordpress.com /use google translate

HANGAR

Re: Need for Yafaray?

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:44 am

Renderman-compliant rendering in Blender and unbiased raytracing were supossed to kill YafaRay as well, and here we are, once again. We are used to have competition.
Samo

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:18 am

Impudent fingers, I use YAFARAY NEXT .. I saw list of upgrades for next version, and it s look impress...I am collection of interior visualisations finishing, after that, as you want, I can share this for Yafaray promo...Medditeraen interieror in Finished gallery is one of them...

HANGAR

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:53 am

Unbiased renderers need too much computing resources. Renderman is too complicated for beginners.

Yafaray has it's cosy spot in between those alternatives and that's why people like it.
_Mo_

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:54 pm

I must admit I had the same feeling as Hangar says when the BF showed the new Indirect Light feature.
It´s not that we don´t trust in Yafaray, but the new illumination features just looks soo good...

I think it´s a pity the BF is not going to take profit of the Yafaray code (enabling Photon Mapping or something similar), but I imagine those things are not easy and maybe is just easier for them to do it from scratch.

Just say thanks to bring up this topic; I think it´s a good thing we can discuss it here in an open way and see what the Yafaray team and the users think about all this.

All the best.
Arkinauta

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:53 pm

When I think back to when approximate ambient occlusion came out for the BI I thought wow this is great. But then when I tested it I found that the old yafray with irradiance caching was about as fast for full GI and with fewer artifacts. (hint to GSOC: radiance caching is of importance A1)

I think that yafaray exists because there are myriad little things about it that are good, and that photon mapping is just a great balance of speed and accuracy. it works for all situations with minimal tweaking. it is fast enough so that my test renders can be done almost real time and looks good enough for final renders to look photo realistic.
loh

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:08 pm

I think, is really important be patient, what brings time and Blender Foundation developers....After that we will be wiser....Integration Irradiance Cache like powefull method is on the way, I think, and this will be one step before BI....

HANGAR

Return to News & Discussion