View topic - YafaRay Association

YafaRay Association

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

YafaRay Association

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:24 am

Dear Yaf dudes,

Now that the User's Guide has been finished, and the holidays season is unfortunatelly mostly over, it is time to move on, and deal with one of the issues this community has never wanted to deal with, which is the issue of money.

Many people wish to collaborate but they don't have enduring willingness, time or skills to do so, and the best way for them to collaborate is by donating some money to the project. On the other hand, the YafaRay Team wants to do the right thing, and any monetary matters should be possible only if a legal body is adopted that allows for economic operations in a legal way.

A Foundation is not possible due to the economic pre-requirements needed for such a legal body. The most realistic option, which is compatible with this project's culture, is a non-profit free association of members, an option that exists in several european countries with similar requisites. This is not an uncharted territory for a FOSS project, notably the KDE project uses such a structure to deal with their legal and financial matters:
http://ev.kde.org/

Besides, an Association should bring YafaRay to a next level of project maturity and create new oportunities for us. We should bring to a stop the times of popularity outbursts followed by long-term declines. The main purpose of the Association would be transforming monetary resources into continuous development and sustained project growth.

The Association constitution will take some months. First of all, some Foundation members will reunite and sign a 'Constitution Act' and the 'Association Statutes'. A provisional Board will be appointed among Foundation members. Those papers will be checked out and approved by the relevant government agency and a Tax number will be given to the Association. Then a Donations page will be set up, as well as a Sponsorship Program. If we start now, things will be ready by the end of the year aprox.

Membership will be granted mostly to active YafaRay users with a regular activity in the forum and to people who has collaborated with the YafaRay Project. Association membership will be always voluntary and the only privilege over regular users will be the right of decision on the Association matters. There will be an annual fee for Association members, which means that apart from donations and sponsorships, the project will have a regular and more or less predictable income. All these sources of income should be used to set up an stable Activities Program.

The YafaRay Project is in the middle of a popularity outburst now. The site has tree times more traffic than six months ago, and we are doing 10.000 downloads a month. So it's now or never. We would like to have your opinion and your support for this new adventure. Yours sincerely.

The YafaRay Team

Read here a Proposal of YafaRay Association Articles.

It is a simplified version of the FOSwiki Association Articles. Particularly important are the aims of the Association, as well as the organisation aspects of it. We would like to have your suggestions to improve them while keeping some simplicity.

If you are interested in becoming an Active member of the YafaRay Association, post a message in this thread with your real name, surnames, city and country. That will be enough ATM. More than a lot of people, we need a group of really committed individuals. The current list is:

• Luis Fernando Ruiz Gago (Luis). Oviedo, Spain.
  • Carlos González Morcillo (morcy). Ciudad Real, Spain.
  • Paulo Gomes (tuga3d). Braga, Portugal.
  • Janusz Tomczak (tjindy). Konin, Poland.
  • Mathieu Quiblier (Bupla). Lyon, France.
  • Robert Bozza (wizofboz). Setauket, New York, USA.
  • Thies Schulz-Holland (IkariShinji). Kiel, Germany.
  • Gustavo Pichorim Boiko (boiko). Curitiba - PR - Brasil.
  • Jeffrey Anderson (Condar). Antofagasta, Chile.
  • Rodrigo Placencia (DarkTide). México City, México.
  • Alejandro Conty Estévez (Jandro). Los Ángeles, USA.
  • Miles Loh (Loh). Chicago, USA.
  • Michele Castigliego (Subcomandante). Caselle Torinese (Turin), Italy.
  • Álvaro Luna Bautista (Samo). Roses, Spain.
Samo

Re: YafaRay Association

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:18 am

Anything that will allow sustained development, and hopefully attract the developers the project needs is a great idea.
It sounds like you are building yourselves a permanent home- may you live long and prosper.....
stoneage

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:54 pm

great news!!!...I would be glad in collaborate to this project. Yafaray is the only render engine I use and I´ve learned a lot the last 3 months thanks to this forum. Just let me know how can I help.

Saludos desde Chile... :)

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:35 am

maybe you could join the blender-foundation (?), maybe it's less buerocratic? just an idea-maybe not practical...
yafaray development is cool, i would like to donate.
animelix

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:59 pm

I would support a yafaray association.
loh

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:12 am

maybe it's less bureaucratic?

Yes indeed, bureaucracy is the biggest disadvantage of this kind of non-profit organizations. On the other hand, having an official set of rules is the best way to avoid the possibility of angry disagreements between team members when dealing with respectable sums of money.

maybe you could join the blender-foundation?

The Blender Foundation has got its own set of rules and a decision board, I'm not sure how this kind of proposal would end. In fact, once an association is running, is not a 'monster' that difficult to handle, as long as people participate and push to keep it alive.

Thanks for your opinions and support.
Samo

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:59 am

This is a proposal for the YafaRay Association Articles:
Proposal of YafaRay Association Articles.

It is a simplified version of the FOSwiki Association articles. Particularly important are the aims of the Association, as well as the organisation aspects of it. We would like to have your suggestions to improve them while keeping some simplicity.

Also we would like for form a list of people interested in becoming an Active Member. The list is updated in the first missage of this thread. If you are interested, please post a missage telling you are interested in becoming an active member, with your real name and surnames. At the moment this will be enough.

For instance:

Hi, I would like to become an active member, in case this thing takes off:
Alvaro Luna Bautista (Samo). Roses, Spain.

More than a lot of people, we need really comitted ones.

In the comming weeks we will announce the list of foundation members and the country the association will be registered in.
Samo

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm on board!

Michele Castigliego, Caselle Torinese (Turin) , Italy
Michele Castigliego
ALTASIS - http://www.altasis.it
subcomandante
Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi, I would like to become an active member, in case this thing takes off:
Miles Loh (Loh). Chicago, USA.
loh

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:38 pm

I'm in:

Rodrigo Placencia (DarkTide) Mexico City, Mexico
Just Vampires Playing To Be Mortals...
---------{--<@
DarkTide

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:28 pm

Count me in :)
Jeffrey Anderson (Condar), Antofagasta, Chile

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:33 pm

I'm in.

Gustavo Pichorim Boiko (boiko) Curitiba - PR - Brasil
Boiko

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:39 pm

Me, too.

Thies Schulz-Holland (IkariShinji), Kiel, Germany
IkariShinji

Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm in too!

Robert Bozza (wizofboz), Setauket, New York, USA
wizofboz

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:51 am

That's a good idea, more organized than my proposal: http://www.yafaray.org/node/235
You can count me in too, unless I just could be a supporting member, instead of an active one.
What kind of vote would be done by active members, is it more oriented for developpers?
Do you have an idea of the annual fee?

Mathieu Quiblier (Bupla), Lyon, France.
bupla

Next

Return to News & Discussion