View topic - Requests and questions about docs? Ask here!

Requests and questions about docs? Ask here!

Post here tutorials and links to tutorials about YafaRay and other CG training material related to YafaRay

Requests and questions about docs? Ask here!

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:50 pm

If you have any request or question about Tutorials or documentation, post them in this thread, and NOT in new threads!

8)
Samo

Post Sat May 03, 2008 10:31 pm

hi, an interior rendering tutorial would be very helpful for me

especially ones involving : sketchup > blender > yafray

thx
polka

Post Sun May 04, 2008 1:56 pm

hi, I would like to read about:
- scene optimizing, how to tune photon maps + fg (yafray photon map is already on wiki but I guess the final gathering pass introduced another quality vs speed vs noise vs whatever else balance tweaking need), how to deal with noise (FG samples vs. AA passes etc.)

I tried to look up for FG principles but I'm still not sure how large contribution an ugly/blotchy photon map has (some sources say that it's marginal, some say the opposite)

regards,
lempour
Lempour

+1 to interior

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:22 am

hello! thanks for the queston :D
i think an interior tutorial would be very helpful to many people.
rebegin

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:30 pm

I think an easy interior and exterior lighting tutorial would be a really good idea.
I think this tutorials should be made for newbies, to try to attrack more people to use Yaf(a)ray.

Also a short tutorial of "how to install Yaf(a)ray" would be nice. I have seen that a lot of peple get trouble trying to install it, so they just leave it :?

Anyway, congratulations for the great work you guys are doing with the Yaf(a)ray!

Greetings
Arkinauta

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:32 am

Yes, we are well aware of what you say. Apart from the user guide, which explains what features yafaray has got and what they do, we need tutorials as well. I would like to prepare a tutorial called lighting with YafaRay.

At the moment the most urgent thing to do IMO is completing the users guide with sections about bidirectional (which can't be considered beta anymore), volumetrics and texturing. That's a big issue, because we have features that are not documented, people don't use them as a result, therefore developers don't feel compelled to maintain/improve them. That's a big problem we have had in the past, and this is a thing that makes developers to lose interest in the project.

There is also another issue. Many people are reluctant to lose some time to read the available documents. This is a common problem with new users, and we can do little about it. I always try to make my documents more attractive with images and formatting, but at the end we need people willing to lose some minutes to read the documentation that is offered to them.

We wonder whether it is better to get just a big users base by helping every new user to solve their obvious questions, or help only users that help themselves in the first place by reading some stuff first, and grow a community with less users but better ones. The installation process is an example of that, the installation is quite easy, we have info available to help in that process, we have warnings telling people that they should read the information provided. Yet the same questions about using YafaRay for the fist time keep on coming. This is another issue as well, because answering questions over and over againg about simple things that are quite accessible in existing docs is boring and tiresome, an it does annoy developers.

We need a proactive comunity that helps itself. The problem with open source comunities is that they become lazy and some of them have little open source culture actually. Open source means proactive in the first place, people take action. That is why you can find this project here and alive. If people understand this then projects like YafaRay will survive. If not this is just a cascade of little raytracing projects falling one after another.
Samo

Re: Requesting Tutorials? - Ask here!

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:23 pm

Hello Guys!

Thanks everybody for the working!
Yafaray is great software and helps me manytimes.

I would like to ask you how to make a realistic MILK texture?
I`ve been looking for it, there`s not any informations about how to make it in yafaray.
Please everybody, give me a light!

thanks!
josiasbh

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:46 am

Could you post a tutorial or a sample scene that shows how to render a clay model? This was my attempt by clicking on the clay button and it isn't even white. I would love to see a scene with a model in it that renders nicely.

bdog

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:24 am

Can anyone write a tutorial with images about compositing an AO pass with a GI pass, different options involved and advantatges of this method, please.
Samo

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:17 am

I'll write a short one on Clay render with different methods if it could help.
I can start one on the compositng too if no one else is working on it.
bupla

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:30 pm

that would be great!

bupla wrote:I'll write a short one on Clay render with different methods if it could help.
I can start one on the compositng too if no one else is working on it.
bdog

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:08 pm

Voilà, the clay render tutorial is online. Hope it's clear.
http://www.yafaray.org/documentation/tutorials/clayrender

I will start the other one, with the compositing passes.
bupla

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:17 pm

Totally clear :)
Many thanks!
Arkinauta

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Ah, I was hoping for a blend file. Well read over your tutorial and just clicking the "clay button" doesn't render anything close to what you have. There is way more involved. If I render in blender I see the model if i click clay button and render in yafaray it get hint of a model and if I turn on the "use AO" button I get a white screen. I must have missed a bunch of steps.
bdog

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:25 am

bdog: I'll post the blend file today. In the first example, remember that there is no lamp, and that I choose a medium grey for the color of the AO (it decreases its energy).
I'll add a snapshot of the AO settings to the tutorial.
Thanks for the feedback.
bupla

Next

Return to Tutorials & Learning Resources