View topic - Parking test

Parking test

Only for showing your progresses and for art related questions. Not for asking about usage.

Parking test

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:07 pm

I may have the chance to work on a new commercial complex, and must be able to show a nice parking. So I'm just working on some assets for now.

The car is from blendswap made by Mikepan.

This scene is actually taking nearly 500 megs of Ram. I have 8 gigs so I hope to be able to include at least 4 time the number of cars ,palm , surely some more plants and 3d charaters.

My main issue now is that I'm using an HRD map to light the scene, for the cars its great but I need it to not cast shadows, I would like to use the sun for that. I've not found an option for this, any idea?

I've done a lot of test with the car paint and that the best I could achieve. I'm using a blend material for now. Anyone have an advice or a link for some guidance.

Thanks.
flagus

Re: Parking test

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:06 pm

Use coated glossy with fresnel = 2.0 and exponent between 50-100 for car paint.
Samo

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Thanks a lot Samo, will try it.
flagus

Post Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:27 am

About the lighting strategy you have proposed, there is an issue regarding sun lamps and mirror components in shinydiffuse, coated glossy and glass. YafaRay does not render shape of point lamps on mirror components, and a sun lamp is one of them. This means that you won't get highlights from the sun lamp which is bad for realism. The only workaround for this is using an HDRI background with a solar disk on it, which will be reflected on mirror components correctly.
Attachments
eddie.jpg
The ball on top and on the left have mirror components that don't produce solar disk highlights.
Samo

Post Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:38 am

Hello Samo,
Thanks for advice. I did render this scene with an HDRI map, but I have so much noise even with 20 passes.

I'm going to do some more test today, I think that I'll using the clamp feature but I'm not sure at all how much I'll should use as I've never used that before. Any advice on that.

Also I thought of using a box to enclose the scene and turning it as a big portal dome, do you guys think that this would actually be a good thing to do for exterior scenes?
flagus

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:47 am

flagus wrote:My main issue now is that I'm using an HRD map to light the scene, for the cars its great but I need it to not cast shadows, I would like to use the sun for that. I've not found an option for this, any idea?

Hello,

I've just implemented this option. The option to control the World Background shadow casting will be available in the next YafaRay version.

For the Sky backgrounds it will be possible to control independently the shadow casting from the Sky and/or from the Sun.

Best regards!
David Bluecame

Post Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:25 pm

Hello,
Big thanks David. Those new features are really going to be of great help.

Thanks so much for your hard work.

Regards,

Ludo.
flagus

Return to Works in Progress