View topic - Yet another interior

Yet another interior

Only for showing your progresses and for art related questions. Not for asking about usage.

Yet another interior

Post Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:04 am

Hi all, here is a interior that I did from a floor plan i found on the net. I want to practice lighting and texture in yafaray. the scene has a sun and a spot lamp plus HDRI with AO enabled and direct lighting as the lighting method. I'm trying not to use any interior lights. later I'll use photon mapping for final render to see how close i can get to "photo-real" image. c&c welcome.
Thanks for looking
Attachments
another-interior.png
barrel22

Re: Yet another interior

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:55 am

Minor update. again thanks for looking
Attachments
living-room-interior.png
barrel22

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:45 am

another update.

pay no attention to the textures on the doors and kitchen counter, cupboards and gas range. this is update is just to give you an idea of what I'm trying to do here. again thanks for looking and your c&c are welcome.
Attachments
interior test.png
barrel22

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:53 pm

another update:
I had to remove the door because according to the diagram that i used to model the house a friend pointed out to me that the door and the stairs should be on the other side going up to the attic, and i also forgot to include the front door. I'm going to try and model the rest of the "furniture's" and the work on the materials and textures.

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
house-2-fridge teapot.png
barrel22

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:07 pm

I wonder how are you going to render it? are you going to use AO on finals?
Samo

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:51 pm

Samo wrote:I wonder how are you going to render it? are you going to use AO on finals?

Hi Samo; that was my plan to use AO for final render, but I'll do a render without AO and see what happens. I'm not good at lighting a scene even though I was reading the doc's on lighting and PM, I just can't seem to get it. one of these days I will.

Thanks again for looking.
barrel22

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:11 pm

YafaRay can do much better with the other methods at hand. Share your photon mapping settings and we'll help.
Samo

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:18 pm

Samo wrote:YafaRay can do much better with the other methods at hand. Share your photon mapping settings and we'll help.

Thank you Samo here are my PM settings
Just to let you know I was using direct lighting method for faster rendering.
Attachments
PM settings.JPG
barrel22

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:25 pm

this is rendered with the PM settings above. this is only 8 samples. I had to use PS to adjust the brightness
Attachments
interior test PM.png
barrel22

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:46 am

can you show what is the sky light contribution to the final render, f.e. disable the sun lamp?
Samo

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Samo wrote:can you show what is the sky light contribution to the final render, f.e. disable the sun lamp?

Here it is with HDRI only, 8 samples no post pro.
Attachments
interior- test  PM HDRI only.png
barrel22

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:03 pm

too little light inside, you should add more exposure which mean more skylight and more sunlight. The sun light should in fact 'burn' the mesh lit by it.

Use arealights for more power and as photons helpers, instead of background lighting. Olivier's scenes, mainly tulip and wine and YCS2012 are a good example about how to do it.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B9Xy9 ... hl=1&hl=en
Samo

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Samo wrote:too little light inside, you should add more exposure which mean more skylight and more sunlight. The sun light should in fact 'burn' the mesh lit by it.

Use arealights for more power and as photons helpers, instead of background lighting. Olivier's scenes, mainly tulip and wine and YCS2012 are a good example about how to do it.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B9Xy9 ... hl=1&hl=en

Thanks Samo for the tips I will give it a try and see what happens.
barrel22

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Samo thank you for the tip, here is a re-render of the scene with no post pro. looks much brighter to me. I used meshlights instead of arealights got rid of the HDRI used skylight and increased the sunlight just a little. BTW what's a good material setting for leather? I want to use it on the sofa.

thanks again.
Attachments
interior-test-2-PM.png
barrel22

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:40 pm

In the demo files there is a very interesting scene made by Suomi called living room.
The interesting part of that scene is that he is using:

- a textured mesh with emit factor, which produces only direct lighting. The texture is actually a jpg image
- a non visible arealight shooting direct lighting and photons, in the same direction that the above and using similar average color than the emit mesh (light green).

With this he achieves enough resolution on the background, because there is just a small surface to map. On the other hand, is he able to somewhat reproduce the background purpose in a small scale.

There is two problems with this method. In theory the photons shot by the arealight, and direct lighting by the emit mesh and the area light, should have no decay. The arealight should emit only photons. On the other hand, the ideal solution could be that the emit mesh shoot photons.

In fact in path tracing you can make emit to be taken into account for indirect lighting calculation. Photon mapping always provides flexibility and consistency, the problem now in YafaRay is the photons emitter setup.
Samo

Next

Return to Works in Progress