View topic - Watch (4K Render)

Watch (4K Render)

Post here your finished projects. Your work could form part of our gallery!

Watch (4K Render)

Post Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:33 am

Hello,

I think I can call it done. I've learn quite some new tricks with this project.

First 4K render I've ever did. Worked well.

This one I've cropped with the border tool, the grey background was a bit too wide.

Please click image to see it in full size.
flagus

Re: Watch (4K Render)

Post Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:42 pm

Another view

flagus

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:48 am

That's a nice watch, flagus, thanks for sharing.

A suggestion: I have the feeling that the golden material you are using could be improved. Not sure what material settings did you use, but I would suggest reducing (or even eliminating) the diffuse component (if any) and increasing the reflection component.

EDIT: or maybe the material is good but the reflections in the golden material could improve by using a HDRI environment map?

Best regards!
David Bluecame

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:50 am

Hello David thanks for the comment.

I'm actually using an HDRI map without it its totally flat :). But there is one wall to the left of the watch I'll try one render without it.

I did lots and lots of test to get this material. I actually based the first material test from on an old tutorial blender 2.49. From there I did my tests.

You are the right person to ask this, I could not make a good reflective glass for the watch I tested so many times. Any idea?

Thanks again for commenting.
flagus

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Several things you could try to get more reflections on the glass:
* HDRI map that contains brighter spots at a more steep angles (glass reflects more in steep angles due to fresnel reflections)
* Increase the glass IOR setting (it should increase the fresnel reflections)
David Bluecame

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:18 am

Hello,
I let the HDRI light nearly the whole scene. I'm not sure if its better, but what do you think :

flagus

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:24 am

Please, if it's possible for you, will you send me the HDRI image you are using?
David Bluecame

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:55 am

I used HRDI 4 from this free pack :

http://zbyg.deviantart.com/art/HDRi-Pack-1-97402522
flagus

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:53 pm

I think that HDRI map is too "flat" with low dynamic range, so renders with it would not be too realistic I think.

Perhaps you could try better HDRI maps with higher dynamic range. Not sure, but perhaps worth a try?

http://www.unparent.com/images_hdr/prob ... _FINAL.hdr

And more here: http://www.unparent.com/photos_probes.html

There are YafaRay texture parameters to work with Angular probes like that.
David Bluecame

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:26 pm

Thanks David,
I do have some other high quality HDRI maps. But they give a green tint due to tree or nature stuff. Thats why I used this studio one.

I'll make some renders with the one you shared and post the result.

Thanks again.
flagus

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:15 am

Hello all,
So I did a new render with one of the HRDI map that you shared David. The result is really better.

I really like how it looks now but I have an issue. Sure you guys have spotted that black spot on the watch.
My scene is englobe with a cube, the bottom and top are simple mesh but the other side are portals. I tried to render with the top as a portal and the dark spot grew bigger nearly all the reflective parts, same was with now cube at all. Any advice?

Do you guys think that I should make the threads more reflecitve?
flagus

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:05 am

if you could make a "simple" scene that shows the black dots and send it to me (along with the HDRI file/texture files used)? With the scene I can investigate why the black dots.
David Bluecame

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:50 am

Hello, flagus.

Thank you for the files you sent me to diagnose this problem.

First of all, the basic problem in your scene (black areas) is caused by the world texture mapping you used. You used "Spherical", but for the type of HDRI you are using you should use "Angular".

That was causing the HDRI not being mapped correctly having black areas in the HDRI world that could be seen as "black areas" in the reflective objects. Change to "Angular" and it should be fine. However, you may need to do adjustments to the HDRI rotation afterwards as the HDRI mapping will change.

However (and this was a difficult one!) after I changed to Angular, I got apparently a good render BUT after the render finished black dots appeared in many places!! Moreover the black dots had negative values in Blender.

After investigating, I found the "negative" black dots were not caused by YafaRay but by the "Sharpen" filter you are using in the Blender compositor.

Summarizing, this is what I would recommend you do to fix the scene:
* Change the world HDRI texture mapping from Spherical to Angular
* Adjust the HDRI rotation if needed
* Render normally. The scene should be ok now.
* In the compositor, adjust the Sharpen fac parameter until you are happy with the sharpness of the render. If you see any black dots, change the Sharpen filter "fac" parameter (you can see the results in real time) until you are happy with the image and no black dots appear.

This was a difficult one (because of the Blender/Sharpness strange issue with negative values), but in any case I hope this solves the problem you are having now.

Best regards and thanks again!
David Bluecame

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:31 am

Hello David,

Thank you so much for your help. I will try your different recommendations and let you know how it works out.

Big thanks again, as this is really be of great help to me. Please ask if you need test example to be made for stuff you are working on.

Regards,

Ludovic.
flagus

Post Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:36 pm

thanks for posting works
Samo

Next

Return to Finished Projects