View topic - Scandinavian Yacht Port Hotel Room

Scandinavian Yacht Port Hotel Room

Post here your finished projects. Your work could form part of our gallery!

Scandinavian Yacht Port Hotel Room

Post Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi,
I was not sure if I should post it here, because i was not really satisfied with the quality of the rendered image(too much noise in dark areas and i don't like the rose that much).
Yeah well tell me what you think or not and thanks for watching.
This is just half the size of the image. The full size image can be found my website in the galleries section: http://ricardo-muench.net
Attachments
Scandinavian_Yacht_Port_Hotel_Room_Post_CR_Web_Resized.jpg
Ninetycho

Re: Scandinavian Yacht Port Hotel Room

Post Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Very Nice. There is indeed lot of noise below the bed table. Can you tell us a bit how you did it? I am particularly interested about how you did the window glass and your sampling settings.
Samo

Post Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks .. Well the glass is made of 2 objects(simple planes) with 2 different materials: the inner one is a normal glass material and the outer one has a texture with a very small bump amount(it is a grunge texture from cgtextures.com).
The image in the backround was a plane(so it got distorted by the bumpy glass) with a little bit of emitting in the material.
To scatter the rose leaves on the bed i used a particle system..
For sampling i used an adaptive method with 2 additional samples but i choose a treshold of 0.0001 or so, (because of that noise) so i think this is not really adaptive anymore.
I let it render until it reached 26 samples and this took me 30h or so for that 4.5k image.

But i think it is perhaps a problem with the photon map there were some black spots underneath that table.
Ninetycho

Post Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:30 am

the tiny dots is high frequency noise produced by montecarlo sampling, either from the background or the arealight used on the outside and/or by the final gather algorithm, can you tell me about those settings please? It took too long to render
Samo

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Hey thank you. Yep I used some extra Lights to get more photons inside. I hope that Image is enough to get my setup.
Attachments
Setup.jpg
Ninetycho

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:24 pm

Ninetycho wrote:Hey thank you. Yep I used some extra Lights to get more photons inside. I hope that Image is enough to get my setup.

replace the Background Image Emiter with just a Texture in World Settings as a Spherical Background (no IBL) and use Portals on the windows. It;s a more efficient way to use all the photons and you will probably get a less noisye image.
If you use the Transparent Backgroud option, you can add any image you want to the scene to the background later in postpro.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:22 am

Another thing I would like to point out is that I am not really sure whether a full adaptive sampling workflow like the one used in your work solves high contrast aliasing and low contrast montecarlo noise in dark areas, many times I prefer using a first pass with 12 antialiasing samples for that kind of work and then adaptive sampling for montecarlo noise, but yet I am not sure about the results of this workflow.
Samo

Post Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:32 pm

Hi !
Can you share your scene please ? We should make some tests ;)

Olivier Boscournu __ riofranco design  Montpellier _ France   http://www.olivier-boscournu.com/

Rio

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:18 pm

Thank you all for your useful tips I will test them out for sure.

But when I use transparent background and the Image in the Background(World) are there still the refractions/reflections from that World Texture on the bumpy rainy glass?

I added the scene but deleted some objects(no textures because too large .. If you want the textures leave a message and I email it to you or so).Have fun :)
Attachments
Scandinavian_Yacht_Port_Hotel_Room_Share_without_Textures.7z
The reduced Scene File
(136.06 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
Ninetycho

Return to Finished Projects