View topic - Mo's entry: FPS Legend

Mo's entry: FPS Legend

From December 1 to March 21, 2012

Re: Mo's entry: FPS Legend

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:19 am

Samo wrote:Can we help you to finish the job? The contest already have a winner but we would like to include more material in the learning DVD.

Rather than rendering, it's more about having yet to finish the enemy (sculpting, rigging, shape keys, animation), scene props and most of the animation sequence... :) basically there's still a lot of work to do (in the last 3 weeks I almost didn't work on it).

What if I produce something else; currently I'm writing a photonmapping tutorial using the red kitchen scene by Yaroslav as an example. If Yaroslav will allow to put his scene on the DVD, I will edit it a bit, tweak materials and write a tutorial on lighting with PM (which I'm doing anyway). Maybe I could extend the tutorial to compositing in Blender and throw in nicer textures, to add value to the DVD version as opposed to the one that will be posted on the site?

How much time do we have to do this?
_Mo_

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:45 am

Work on the DVD could be done in the coming weeks, we are not in a hurry. In my opinion, another short animation for the DVD would be great, showing the tricks you have used to produce masks, render glow and other efects.
Samo

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 am

Would a camera fly-through of the "base" (whatever of it I have modeled up to now) be enough? Like a "tech-preview"? Without a functioning enemy character I don't know how else to put things in context, because the whole animation was supposed to revolve around fighting. And currently I don't have enough time to devote to this.

It would still show how to use compositing, masks, Yafaray material & lighting tricks & other effects.
_Mo_

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:06 am

Of course. Besides from what you say, I believe people would be interested in studying a case of photon mapping used for animation.
Samo

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:49 am

At first I thought I would use PM, but then the render times per frame peaked and I changed to DL. As you can see in the attachment there is very little visual difference between the two (same lighting), except for huge difference in render time:

fpslegend_dl-vs-pm.jpg

PM settings are low, photon map acceptable and lights at minimum possible, yet the render time at almost 7min / frame is still too high. imo, in this particular scene using PM is not worth it, because visually you don't gain much, if anything, but render times are more than double.
_Mo_

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:21 pm

Whatever you have in mind for your project is OK
Samo

Previous

Return to Winter Contest 2012 - Elisabetta Project