View topic - Mo's entry: FPS Legend

Mo's entry: FPS Legend

From December 1 to March 21, 2012

Re: Mo's entry: FPS Legend

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:05 pm

can't you do it with shinydiffuse emit?

Yes, the slime & lamps are already shinydiffuse emit in the Yafaray pass, but; to add glow in post I need those two materials extracted from the scene - basically like a material ID mask. Just that I can't use the material ID pass of BI, because the slime on the floor is a blend shader in Yafaray - so material ID pass can't distinguish between floor plates and slime on the floor. I need the emission pass of BI which takes into account texturing and also results in a better effect, because emission intensity information is retained (while material ID pass is just black & white cutout)

The shot two posts back is pure Yafaray render, without post, except tonemapping - which doesn't look bad, but with a tad of glow the radiating effect looks better as do the lamps on the ceiling.

To better show the procedure & obtained effect:
emission-composite.jpg

I'm using a similar technique for the muzzle flash - the flash object is rendered with BI (as volume) and then composited on the scene, while the lighting effect itself is rendered in Yafa with a pointlight.

I know that this can be a bit of a "shady area", what could be allowed and what not. I can do without this methods, no problem (it will look a bit less good though). Except for the material ID pass - I absolutely need to use that from the Blender internal renderer.
_Mo_

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:49 am

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do but the emit material seen on final renders should be done with YafaRay. It is Ok If the glow is made with Blender, it is a post process effect or you have produced a mask using blender internal engine.
Samo

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:27 am

That emission pass from BI is used only to define areas where to apply glow effect (like a black&white mask), not as a color or lighting information. That pass is first dilated, then highly blurred and used as a factor for Add node. Circled in red you can see how that pass looks like before it's used as a blend factor:
compos.jpg

Here you can better see the difference between the raw yafa output & composited glow. As you can see the emission effect comes mainly from the Yafa render, just that yellowish glow is done with the help of BI emission pass information.
glow1.jpg

In any case, I can do without the emission pass from BI (except the stuff on the floor won't glow), but I need to use the material ID (in blender called Material Index) pass from Blender, like this one:
id-player_0081.jpg
id-player_0081.jpg (5.96 KiB) Viewed 13375 times

The reason is that I need to blur the muzzle flash effect and fireball effect (the enemy will shoot), or it will look very ugly (since Yafaray can't render volume objects). For this to look right I need to cut-out the player hands & gun (which are always the closest object to the camera), so I need the material info where the player is.

Hope it's understandable - I'm known for complicating things too much sometimes :D
_Mo_

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 am

I suppose it is OK, the goal is that users learn to do this kind of tricks using Blender compositor.
Samo

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:19 am

Explained a bit more how I use the emit pass from Blender, I don't want people to think I'm trying to cheat or something... :)

glow-postopek.jpg

This process adds glow around the yafaray emitters, thus giving some more realism & nice warm radiating feel :) Without using some of Blender passes it cannot be done. Yafa is unfortunately not very well suited for SFX rendering.

I'll be using these passes from Blender; Emit, Material Index (or Object Index), Vector, Z

With this project I'm also learning the compositor. Up until now I used it only for faking DOF - all other post I did with GIMP.
_Mo_

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:45 pm

_Mo_ wrote:
can't you do it with shinydiffuse emit?

Yes, the slime & lamps are already shinydiffuse emit in the Yafaray pass, but; to add glow in post I need those two materials extracted from the scene - basically like a material ID mask. Just that I can't use the material ID pass of BI, because the slime on the floor is a blend shader in Yafaray - so material ID pass can't distinguish between floor plates and slime on the floor. I need the emission pass of BI which takes into account texturing and also results in a better effect, because emission intensity information is retained (while material ID pass is just black & white cutout)...

you can get similar result with yafaray asigning a shinny duffuse material with emmision 2 to the objects you want to get the mask. Then render with AO distance 0.001 asigning black materials to all the other objects of the scene (clay render) or remove every other object or lamp of the scene, use a pure Black background and render with Direct lighting
You can use both, the direct render or the Alpha channel that yafaray produces.
Right now I'm only working with Zdepth pass for my contest's entry but usually I keep 2 scenes for work: 1 for render and the other to extract masks.
Sometimes Blender ID masks is useless due Antialiasing problems (jaggy edges)

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:35 pm

DOH!, why I haven't thought about this solution? :D

Thanks for the tip, Condar! It works very well even (or especially) in my case with the blend shader. Here's the mask for the areas that need glow applied:
yafa-mask.jpg
yafa-mask.jpg (10.69 KiB) Viewed 13349 times

So I guess I won't be needing Blender passes now, except for Z & Vector (but that should be 100% legal anyway :))
_Mo_

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 am

A fast & dirty test of the shooting moves; shoot, long reload, shoot from shoulder, fast reload.

Video

Basically I completed most of the postproduction pipeline; glow, muzzle flash, sparks, motion blur. I'll have to redo some of the moves, because I'll need to update the arms&gun rig for better control of parent-child actions (learning by mistakes :) ). Instead of smoke I added sparks effect after each shot - not very realistic, but adds to atmosphere.

There's a question I would like to ask. I used the sound effects downloaded from this site, which are under CC BY license. Each effect has it's own author. How do I then attribute this resources? Do I list all the authors names in the credits or just mention the page where I got the effects from?

I really don't have a clue about this legal stuff, so if anyone could explain... :)
Last edited by _Mo_ on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Mo_

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:32 am

If the authors want recognition then we could add them in the credits and in the files too.
Samo

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:42 am

Nowhere is mentioned that the author wants recognition (for example; the shooting effect), just that the file is under Attribution 3.0 license, which reads; You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.

So if the author didn't specify anything, it means you don't need to mention him?
_Mo_

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:46 am

_Mo_ wrote:Nowhere is mentioned that the author wants recognition (for example; the shooting effect), just that the file is under Attribution 3.0 license, which reads; You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.

So if the author didn't specify anything, it means you don't need to mention him?

Attribution means that you should attribute the work in some way.
Samo

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:29 am

So I can attribute all the authors of sound files in the description text on Youtube for example, or in a .txt file alongside the project folders? No need to include the attribution in the video itself?
_Mo_

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:50 am

Yes, if you add credits to your video then it will be a good oportunity to credit the authors of those works.
Samo

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:30 pm

I haven't had much time to work on this project, so that basically means I'm out of contest, since I won't be able to deliver the work in time.

Anyway, I've finished the base model of the Cacodemon - my favorite enemy from Doom. I have yet to sculpt details on top of this, paint textures, create shape keys, rig it... Lots of things :)
Attachments
caco-wip1.jpg
_Mo_

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:57 am

Can we help you to finish the job? The contest already have a winner but we would like to include more material in the learning DVD.
Samo

PreviousNext

Return to Winter Contest 2012 - Elisabetta Project