View topic - Mo's entry: FPS Legend

Mo's entry: FPS Legend

From December 1 to March 21, 2012

Re: Mo's entry: FPS Legend

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:15 am

you don't need to use so many concentration of lights sources. The more lights you use, the more render time, since global ilumination has got more or less a fixed cost. Try to use less area lights. Also the quality of the photon map should be increase or either you will get flickering in the animation
Samo

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:05 pm

There are only two arealights in the scene and three high-power spotlights in photon-only mode, which don't impact the render time at all. Those lights on the ceiling are just simple cube meshes with SD emit material (also completely negligible - I get the same render time without them).

That bright circle you see on the photon map is the spotlight situated behind the camera (maybe I have exaggerated with power - 50). Basically, I can't go lower on lights. I think that an average time of 3 minutes per frame will be ok (I'll have to render overnight in any case :) ).

lights.jpg

To avoid flickering I'll shoot more photons and try to better position the photon-channeling spotlights.

BTW, how is the SD emit material sampled? A meshlight has a samples parameter, but SD emit doesn't.
_Mo_

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:23 pm

Shiny diffuse emit only work as a light source in pathtracing actually, I don't know how it is sampled though
Samo

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:12 pm

SD emit and how it works in PM it's perfect for my use here. It gives the impression that there are many light sources on the scene at almost zero render time cost. :)
_Mo_

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:35 am

I have been doing more tests with PM and have problems with flickering - specifically on areas where a glossy surface directs photons on another surface.

The environment for the animation will be some sort of base - so there will need to be stuff like; pipes, ventilation shafts, barrels, etc... All these are glossy materials (paint, bare metal). The problem can be seen in the outlined areas, where two surfaces (one of which is a glossy) are near together:

pm-flickering.jpg

This is the photon map & settings that I use. I've tried several settings, even extreme ones like 10.000 for photon search, but the problem always persists, as long as the pipes material is glossy. The photon map is dense with ~3 million photon hits.

pm-flickering-pmap.jpg

This is an animation of the same frame rendered twice, that better shows the problem:

pm-flickering-anim.gif
pm-flickering-anim.gif (80.7 KiB) Viewed 13220 times

Any suggestion how to get rid of this? It may seem a minor thing, but consider that the final scene will have more such stuff in it == more flickering in corners. I have been seriously considering to use directlighting instead - it's not so visually pleasing, but its 3x faster and without such problems.
_Mo_

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:39 am

Be sure 'use photonmap' (as diffuse in blender 2.49) is not enabled.
Samo

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:13 am

The difference...

usePM_true.png

usePM_false.png

Great work, I like Doom II.
Greetings..
povmaniaco

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:14 am

wouldn't be all that flickering in fact caustic photons bouncing off the glossy material? can you look in the back console what kind of caustic photon map is producing?
Samo

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Hey guys, thanks for your help!

The problem was as Samo suspected; I had "use photon map" set for the wall and floor materials (low exponent glossy), if I un-check it, those blotches are gone. Unfortunately that takes a heavy toll on render times; from 2:12s to 4:56s, for this particular environment :o

I'll do lighting tests in DL a bit more, to see if I can come up with something nice & fast.

povmaniaco wrote:Great work, I like Doom II.

So, you lay tiles as a profession, code CG tools for hobby and are also a Doom fan. Awesome combination :wink:

(and yes, in fact I allude to Doom with this project :) )
_Mo_

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:28 am

Small wip update; scene rigged for DL + glow of the ceiling lights added in post.
Rendertime: 3:05

wip-dl.jpg
_Mo_

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:36 am

Not bad with DL. Maybe you can add AO or even an indirect lighting pass using photon lamps in the compositor.
Samo

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:03 pm

AO is enabled, with a darker color.

What do you mean by indirect lighting pass using photon lamps in the compositor? I'm unfamiliar with such techniques, could you explain it a bit more.
_Mo_

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:49 pm

I tried rendering a DL pass, then clay PM pass and blend it together, but decided against such technique. DL + AO is all I need for the atmosphere I will go for.

Here is another update; friendly barrels of radioactive explosive slime which are loved by all Doom players :)

wip4.jpg
_Mo_

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Am I allowed to use the emission pass out of Blender to add glow to the radioactive slime & ceiling lights?

wip4-making.jpg
_Mo_

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:55 pm

can't you do it with shinydiffuse emit?
Samo

PreviousNext

Return to Winter Contest 2012 - Elisabetta Project