View topic - Rules and Discussion about the contest

Rules and Discussion about the contest

From December 1 to March 21, 2012

Rules and Discussion about the contest

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:19 pm

The main purpose of this contest is to gather learning material from the best YafaRay Artist and create a training DVD with it. The sales of this DVD will be used to support the organisation of a YafaRay Code Sprint in the second half of 2012.

Contest Deadline - 21 March 2012
http://timeanddate.com/s/26jf
time is running out already !!!!

Categories:

• Still
  • Animation

Still Category

• Still image based on any of these topics.
  • Minimun resolution of the final render must be 1024 x 1280 portrait or 1280 x 1024 landscape, in PNG format.
  • Post-process and compositing of different YafaRay render passes is allowed, but using Blender compositor.
  • Midterm evaluation: Modelling and scene layout mostly finished on February 6, Monday.
  • Work in progress thread in the contest forum.

Animation:

• Minimuns: resolution Youtube HQ 864x480 px. - 30 seconds.
  • Post-process and compositing of different YafaRay render passes is allowed, but using Blender compositor.
  • Compositing against real footage using camera tracking techniques is allowed, using Blender tools and compilations.
  • Stop-motion is allowed
  • The entry could consist in a short story, a commercial or a stop-motion short film, but based on any of these contest topics.
  • Midterm evaluation: Modelling and Animation blocking mostly finished on Februrary 6, Monday.
  • Work in progress thread in the contest forum
  • Groups of contestants is allowed in the animation category. A group of contestants will start a 'work in progress' thread in the contest forum. Every member of the group should be stated at the beginning of the work in progress thread and a director of the short film.

General Rules:

• Winners will be chosen by non-contestant community members (users+developers).
  • Winners’ works in both categories and any entry deemed good enough will be included in a DVD which will be sold on-line on the YafaRay site, to support the organisation of a YafaRay code sprint.
  • Content included in the DVD will be released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA) license. Be sure the content you use in your work (textures, soundtrack) can be released under such a license, either because you have created them or because they are originally copyleft as well.
  • We will need authors' written permission so their work can be included in the DVD. In any way, profits from DVD sales will be used only to support the organisation of a code sprint for YafaRay developers or/and to be added to YafaRay funds held by SPI (http://www.spi-inc.org/). Proceedings will be done in a transparent way to the YafaRay Community and using only legal frameworks.
  • It would be great if authors of the works included in the DVD can share pre-production and post-production material as well as a making-off text to increase the added educative value of the DVD on-sale.
  • Contestants are encouraged to ask for help in the community to get computing power to render works in the animation category.
Samo

Re: Contest Rules

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:28 am

About the "making off" text; how detailed it must be and which topics should be covered? If, for example, I would do an animation, should I cover the whole process from modeling to video editing (which would be quite a lot)? Or because this is a renderer competition, the topics should involve those that regard Yafaray, ie; shading, lighting & rendering (and maybe final composition)?
_Mo_

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:27 pm

There is no rules about the making off, for instance it could be about a special modelling/texturing/lighting trick you like doing, or about your post process workflow. The only rule is that it should be informative. For instance, you can cover the modelling of a particular component of your scene. If you want to document the whole process, then you should just document your main steps, for instance final concept sketch, scene layout, detailing, textures, etc, like the "Production Focus" CGTalk articles. It should not take too much time and if your are in doubt just keep some notes, screenshots and scene versions as a precaution and leave that work for the end, once the scenes that will make the DVD are decided.
Samo

Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:48 am

The only render passes we can have using Yaf(a)ray are Z Depth and Alpha? The rest needs to be made with Internal?
mookie

Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:03 am

You can do a Ambient Oclussion pass with YafaRay or a specular pass by giving all objects diffuse component = 0

Only passes rendered with YafaRay. What kind of effect you would like to render with Blender Internal? If YafaRay can not render it properly then I can see the point of including BI passes in your composition.
Samo

Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:16 am

I was thinking about 3d composition with a real video footage but I would really need shadow and reflection pass for that.
Last edited by mookie on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mookie

Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:25 am

If YafaRay can not render those properly then you are allowed to include them in your composition pipeline
Samo

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:05 am

I have crappy camera and my maximum resolution would be 720x576 (PAL). Is that sufficient?
mookie

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:21 pm

Yes sure !
Samo

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Especially if it's Mookie's stuff ! :D

Sorry if my English is not correct.

bobo

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks, Bobo for a kind words! I'll experiment with tracking and if that goes OK I'll enter competition.
mookie

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Computing Power:
I use an old notebook from about 2003 or so, it takes about 15 minutes to render a 16 samples photon-mapping image in 720p. Who could help me?
using 2.67 with yafaray 1.5
HobbyLightandMagic

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:19 pm

can you show more of your animation? maybe a low resolution preview will do to get possible collaborators interested.
Samo

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Samo wrote:can you show more of your animation? maybe a low resolution preview will do to get possible collaborators interested.

I'm not that far yet... I just started finding good camera angles e.g. and i also may render on my parents' pc which is much faster than mine. But if it goes to rendering, i will submit some previews (also see my w.i.p. thread).
using 2.67 with yafaray 1.5
HobbyLightandMagic

Re: Rules and Discussion about the contest

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:46 am

Hey guys! I'm deciding about my theme (yeah, it's a bit late to be only at this stage, but I had other work :)) and have a question:

afaik, there is no way to produce a shadow-catching (invisible, doesn't cast shadows, only receives shadows from other objects) material in Yafaray? Would I be allowed to render (some of) the shadows with Blender internal and then composite?
_Mo_

Next

Return to Winter Contest 2012 - Elisabetta Project