View topic - condar's horsefly

condar's horsefly

From July 4 to August 31 - Participate !

Re: condar's horsefly

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:38 pm

rusted wrote:great looking image.what is the advantage of using sppm(low ram usage for same no. of photons?)

thx for your comment

some of the advantages:

- of course RAM usage: using a small number of photons every pass but improving the photon map constantly it needs less RAM than Photon Mapping.
- speed: SPPM is fast, specially with caustics and glossy reflections.
- less noise with glossy reflections
- good quality/speed for effects like caustics and DOF blur

unfortunately it doesn't work well with all scenes and in some cases sppm can produce really splotchy images or take too much time to get a clean render. It can be complicated to set the right parameters manually.
For this scene I made some previous tests with Path tracing and Photon Mapping + Final Gather and I decided that SPPM was the best alternative in this case due the insane amount of geometry :)

the hair particles are 260.000 instanced objects textured with transparency and diffuse map to make it looks like hair

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:19 am

hi condar,

thanks for the detail.
rusted

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Insect in this light looks great. Very nice, soft, warm lighting. The background is a very good choice. I feel the atmosphere of a hot day. Very realistic.
Congratulations
Zrumbok

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:27 pm

Zrumbok wrote:Insect in this light looks great. Very nice, soft, warm lighting. The background is a very good choice. I feel the atmosphere of a hot day. Very realistic.
Congratulations

thanks for your comment

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Previous

Return to YafaRay Annual Contest - 2011 Edition