View topic - Out of contest - Lost Childhood, Mo's entry

Out of contest - Lost Childhood, Mo's entry

From July 4 to August 31 - Participate !

Out of contest - Lost Childhood, Mo's entry

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Yeah, I was convinced this topic would win, so I already rigged a few models over the weekend. :)

Legos are the undisputed king of toys, IMO, and everything I needed to be happy as a kid. Who needs pre-made toys, when you can construct your own toys from basic elements, dismantle them when you grow tired of them and then create something else? Legos also help to develop the child's creativity, especially the Technic version.

Two months is a long period, so I suppose I'll be able to finish both projects. A first render of some pieces with untextured basic materials:

lego1_testB01.jpg

I didn't model this from scratch, I used Leocad to export the base models, which I then cleaned up & edited to be able to use the subsurf & bevel modifiers on them. There are some minor shading errors on some pieces, but it's not important, because the final render won't be so close.
_Mo_

Re: Out of contest - Lost Childhood, Mo's entry

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Seems very promising, what hardware are are you using? At work anything away from Direct lighting will take a lot of time to render..

Ho! and yes , legos were also my favorite toy when i was a kid.
cryo

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:20 pm

My proc is quite crappy: Intel Core 2 dualcore. The render would need a few additional AA passes, because noise is still visible. Also the materials are just simple & plain glossy. And the DOF was done in post with Blender nodes, if you are wondering.

When using photonmapping it's mostly about your photon map. If it's good (homogeneous spread) then you don't need a lot of FG samples (above just 16) and you can also spare on AA passes. Of course the render times depend a lot on materials.
_Mo_

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:51 pm

I gather that to achieve "homogeneous spread" it would depend mostly on your light setup ? are you using skylight ? skydome ?
cryo

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:13 pm

Yep, good light setup is crucial. In this particular case I use only IBL for illumination (a HDR image), but alongside I have a bunch of spotlights in photon-only mode, that direct photons on the scene. The effect is something like using an emitting skydome, I guess.

lighting.jpg
_Mo_

Return to YafaRay Annual Contest - 2011 Edition