View topic - Yafaray contest 2011, wizofboz entry

Yafaray contest 2011, wizofboz entry

From July 4 to August 31 - Participate !

Yafaray contest 2011, wizofboz entry

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:15 pm

I am entering the Insectum yafaray contest for summer 2011. I am not an expert on bugs so the subject is a bit difficult for me, but I am tentatively considering a praying mantis for my entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praying_mantis

More information to come later.
wizofboz

Re: Yafaray contest 2011, wizofboz entry

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi wizofboz,

maybe this is somewhat usefull for you:

http://www.blendercookie.com/2009/08/28/modeling-a-praying-mantis/

have fun, bye Olaf.
Olaf

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Thanks for the link Olaf, I didn't know that tutorial existed. Just looking at the screenshot it seems that it is quite a bit more cartoony and less detailed than what I am envisioning for my work, but that is ok because I would rather people not think that I got my model directly from a tutorial anyway.
wizofboz

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:15 am

I finally got some time to work on this the past couple days, so I roughed out some basic geometry for my mantis.

mantis001a.png

mantis001b.png

Some stuff is ugly or wrong and I may remodel certain parts, the wings are temporary objects until I decide how to handle them, but overall I should have a basis to add further details.

Please forgive the ugly renders, they're just to quickly show the model.
wizofboz

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:54 am

Nice start! The mantis is one of the coolest looking insects, IMO - it's such a space monster. It's also not annoying like most of the other insects and that's a big plus :)

One thing to remember is that modeling insects can be approached modularly - you don't need to have the whole model in one piece (object). Most of the joints can be detached and worked on separately. I find it easier to do it this way (it's easier to adapt mesh topology to the shape).
_Mo_

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:11 am

Looks really promising! Keep on going!
mookie

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Thanks for the encouraging comments guys. :)

_Mo_: I understand about the articulated body segments, but what concerns me is that many reference photos show quite a bit of translucency on the mantis body. I don't know yet exactly how I will achieve this (it seems the sss branch is unavailable :( ), but intersecting geometry from separate parts of a mesh don't always play well with translucent materials.
wizofboz

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:50 pm

I haven't been working on this project as frequently as I want, but here is a quick update on my progress for the midterm evaluation. Modeling is pretty much done unless I decide to tear something out and start over, also I have begun using texture paint to create a color map for parts of the body. Obviously textures are very much WIP, I have just started.

mantis004.png

mantis004wire.png

Even if the model doesn't look too much different from the last update in most places, I have actually redone and improved the mesh topology almost everywhere, and added some details too.
wizofboz

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:09 pm

Everything into a single mesh, thumbs up :D . For my model I think that I've got more than 20 different parts and sometimes I'm lost in such a mess. Your mantis is looking good so far, I especially like the details on the head.
I'm sorry if my english is sometimes a bit weird.
chichiri

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:04 pm

Since August is a busy month for me I only had time to put some serious work into this over the last few days to a week, and now it looks like I will not have another opportunity to continue the project before the contest deadline. So basically I just have to call this finished as is:

mantis.png

I'm not so satisfied with this work at all, but I guess it's better than nothing. Maybe. :(
wizofboz

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:35 pm

It's not bad. I would suggest you to do some tone-mapping. This way you can get more out of the render in terms of color / contrast (it looks kinda washed).

Did you use Blender defocus node? There are DOF "jaggies" on the mantis head (antenna). Maybe change the focus point to heave a more clear mantis & blur the surroundings instead?

These are very fast tweaks, if you rendered to .exr (there is no reason not to always do so :) )
_Mo_

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:48 pm

nice insect, flowers leaves need more texturing, and shape random verajetys. good work, what material you use for green leaves shinydiffuse or glossy?
STart

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi guys, I really appreciate your comments.

Thanks to _Mo_'s helpful comment about the render being washed out I was able to revisit the tonemapping on the render. I had forgotten that saving an exr in blender doesn't reset the gamma to linear in 2.5, so the pregamma setting I used in the tonemapping was wrong. Here is the updated render:

mantis_new.png

The aliasing was not from the render, I stupidly forgot to save the render with the alpha channel and the alpha map I used in gimp didn't work nicely. I tried to improve the antennae a bit for the updated render but it's still not perfect.

STart: The leaves are shinydiffuse with translucency and a bit of mirror specularity, not the greatest setup in the world. I know the leaves and flowers are unfinished, but where I live still has no electricity after the storm that hit the U.S. east coast. I will be suffering yafaray withdrawal until the power comes back, and I hear that might take a while.

BTW: I took a quick peek at some of the other insect projects that appear to be finishing up, there really impressive works out there! I hope to have an opportunity to leave individual comments soon; post, wait five minutes, post, wait five minutes, I can't really do that right now. :D

Cheers everyone :)
wizofboz

Return to YafaRay Annual Contest - 2011 Edition