View topic - Insectum - Contest Rules - General feedback

Insectum - Contest Rules - General feedback

From July 4 to August 31 - Participate !

Insectum - Contest Rules - General feedback

Post Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:11 pm

stag-beetle_final_f.jpg

'stag-beetle' by Fine

Contest topic
Insectum. It consist in depicting an insect or a significative part of it in a close-up shot simulating a macrophotography. The insect should be placed in an appropiate enviroment. You can opt either for a hyper realistic style or for an imaginary situation, but seek always for artistic qualities.

Timeline
The contest runs from July 4 to August the 31 st. 0:00 GMT.

Prizes
The winners will be selected by a jury composed of members of the YafaRay Team. Prizes consist in:
  • A CG-education book or DVD from Amazon or alternatively an item from the Blender e-shop for the first, second and third place winners.
  • There will be a Special mention category for high-quality works.
  • All entries reasonably finished and deemed good enough will be included in the Contest Gallery.

Rules
  • The final render may consis in a sigle render pass or a post-process and composition of different YafaRay render passes. Tone mapping is allowed as well.
  • Final render minimun resolution must be 1024 x 1280 portrait or 1280 x 1024 landscape, in PNG format.
  • Every contestant must open his/her own work in progress thread in the YafaRay Annual Contest 2011 forum. The last image posted on everyone's thread will be the one considered by the jury for the voting process.
  • Midterm evaluation. To be considered and listed for the winners' places, contestants should have already posted in his/her own WIP thread at least 3 renders or 3D viewport screenshots by August 1, showing significative progress. At that point, the jury would clarify which contestants will qualify for the winners' places.
  • 'Out of Contest' participation is allowed using any topic. These participations are not considered for the winners' places, though they could be included in the Special Mention category. These participations will be included in the Contest Gallery too if they are reasonably finished and are deemed good enough.

Advice
  • There is plenty of time, but remember that there will be a mid term evaluation (read the rules above). Use this extra time to plan your work and to seek for references.
Samo

Re: Insectum - Contest Rules - General feedback

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:27 pm

• In your local library there should be several books on insects with photographs. If they happen to have good entomology books, you will be able to find detailed descriptions and diagrams of many insects parts, for instance wings tipology.

Books will be a good resource to decide what kind of insect you want to reproduce. There are so many species of insects that it is for sure that you can find one you like and suits well your modelling skills.

Books will give you a good idea about the kind of work and commitment needed to finish your proposal. Insects are a good subject to get people started in organic modelling, but finishing it well requires good modelling and texturing skills
Samo

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:21 am

Compound Eye

I would like to share a method for modelling the compound eye. The basic techniques I have used are array modifiers and proportional editing. First of all I have set a compound eye as a background in order to get the cell size right.
compound_eye2.jpg
compound_eye2.jpg (13.17 KiB) Viewed 16919 times

I have started my scene by adding an hexagonal shape with an upper rounded surface as in the image bellow
hexagonalshape.jpg

I have copied this mesh using array modifiers till forming a dense mesh covering the background eye well in excess.
mesh.jpg

I apply the modifier in a permanent way, and then edit the mesh proportionally, using a round shape
propediting.jpg

Finally, after some mesh cleaning, I get more or less the shape of a compound eye:
compoundeye.jpg

So you think there is a better way to model a compound eye, or you want to improve on the method I have posted on here. Please share it !
Samo

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:20 pm

a quick example of sculpting a compound eye and baking a Normal Map. a little extra work but we can use less geometry and add lot of details
Attachments
compoundeyeA.png
compoundeyeB.png
compoundeye1.png
compoundeye2.png

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:55 pm

Modelling an insect
Chapter 1- Seeking for references

Insects are the most diverse group of living creatures on earth. There are about 900.000 known species of insects in the world. If you search for information about insects, you will likely find one specie that you happen to like and suits well your modelling skills and your available time to participate in the contest. There is very simple insects like the ladybird:
2377690185_2305386cbe.jpg
2377690185_2305386cbe.jpg (133.62 KiB) Viewed 16849 times

Very colourful ones, like some carterpillar species:
267659159_2c8786f457.jpg
267659159_2c8786f457.jpg (108.41 KiB) Viewed 16849 times

Definitely weird ones, like some australian endemic species:
Diamond_Weevil_Side.JPG

Or difficult ones, mainly because of the fur:
macro4.jpg

Insects is an excellent subject to get people started on organic modelling. They share some of the difficulties of modelling living forms, for instance irregular shapes, fur and complex mapping. However, insect parts are more differenciated and they don't have the complexity and subtleness required to model the proportions of vertebrated organisms.

Remember, there is always an insect for everone's taste and skills. Choose one and lets get to work!
Samo

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:20 pm

Modelling an insect
Chapter 2- Divide and conquer

Unlike vertebrated organisms, insects parts are well differenciated each other. This fact can be used to our advantage to divide our model in different meshes accordingly. In this way we avoid passing mesh complexity from one part to another.

This is due to the fact that insects have exoskeletons. An exoskeleton is an external skeleton that supports and protects an animal's body, in contrast to the internal skeleton (endoskeleton) vertebrated have got.

Insects have a three-part body (head, thorax, and abdomen) and three pairs of jointed legs. Many of them have 2 pair of wings, at least 2 compound eyes, two antennae and mouth parts. In fact these are the main different meshes our 3D model is going to have.
grasshopper_anatomy.jpg
bugparts.jpg

Use these different parts to arrange a work plan!
Samo

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Just as a reminder to the participants; the midterm evaluation is not far away. It would be a bad thing if someone would be disqualified just because he forgot to post his progress in time. :)

See the rules in the first post.
_Mo_

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:15 am

This is a call to participant to work on their scenes during this weekend and post screenshots of their progress. Remember that you have to post at least three screenshots showing significative progress. On Monday we will review the entries.
Samo

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:34 am

The Summer Day
By Mary Oliver

Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean--
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down,
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.

I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
Samo

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:38 pm

I got stuck. Can I do a second attempt? :|
I already had a model which i didn't continue till now, but now, as i am a bit panicked about getting it all done, i made materials for it and rendered it:
test1.png
a james-bond-like, creepy spy tool (with box).
test1.png (162.21 KiB) Viewed 16615 times
using 2.67 with yafaray 1.5
HobbyLightandMagic

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:23 am

HobbyLightandMagic wrote:I got stuck. Can I do a second attempt? :|
I already had a model which i didn't continue till now, but now, as i am a bit panicked about getting it all done, i made materials for it and rendered it:
test1.png

Yes, if you are not happy with the direction of your work, you can get it to take another course.
Samo

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi there,

We are on August 15, which means that you have 15 days to complete your work. Many of the entries can be improved a lot. Please work hard on your insects till the end. Regards.
Samo

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:39 pm

If you still need to find a nice background (or something to reflect on eyes and wings) you can use sky textures (to be found on Google). though not recommended, you can use them as a realistic light source even if they aren't HDR.
vue_sky_002.jpg
A Perfect Texture.

If your texture shows only the top half, you can ad a "floor" of your choice by adding a lower half with gimp or sth else.
This image needs a "floor".
using 2.67 with yafaray 1.5
HobbyLightandMagic

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:09 am

The contest is finished. Thank you for participating guys. I wish there was more entries, next year we will organise the contest in Juny-July again to avoid conflicting with our user's holidays. The quality of the finished entries is very good though. I will make the gallery with the finished images and in a few days we will announce the winners. Regards.
Samo

Next

Return to YafaRay Annual Contest - 2011 Edition