View topic - Public Space

Public Space

From January 5th to February 28st 0:00 GMT, 2011

Public Space

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:02 am

Not sure I will have time to finish this for the deadline, but I'll see how it goes.

Maybe not 'Amazing', but definitely 'Architecture'........

screenshot:-
Screenshot.png

wip render:-
13.png

Reference:-
DSCF0225.resized.JPG

Photon mapping with ies lighting, rendered with Yafaray 0.1.2 and Blender 2.49

Can anyone suggest a simple way to add jitter to an array? The tiles are so regular, they don't look natural.
stoneage

Re: Public Space

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:09 am

that's a great reference, lots of details to pay attention to. I would use complex blend mixings for most of the specular materials and good specular mapping and beveling, if not yafaray will give you too perfect results
Samo

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 am

Don't know about jittering in the array itself, but you could convert the array into a single mesh and then apply some (very) slight noise to the vertices in all directions (probably less than 1% of a tile's size).
bert_b

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:19 am

Samo wrote:that's a great reference, lots of details to pay attention to. I would use complex blend mixings for most of the specular materials and good specular mapping and beveling, if not yafaray will give you too perfect results

Yes, I'm finding it very challenging. As you say, there is so much detail to deal with; the lighting, all the different speculars, balancing the different reflection levels and shades of white. I also have coursework now as well, which I need to do first, but I wouldn't mind working on this over a longer time, just for the learning experience.
I have also been getting some black spots when rendering certain combinations of Blend material, though I haven't tested them in the last couple of weeks, and I didn't test with the Core 'branch' either(I've been using the Darktide experimental until recently), so there is still work for me to do. :D

bert_b wrote:Don't know about jittering in the array itself, but you could convert the array into a single mesh and then apply some (very) slight noise to the vertices in all directions (probably less than 1% of a tile's size).

Thanks, I'll try it.
stoneage

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:00 pm

one alternative to jittering in arrays is to use blenders duplivert or dupliface on a plane with noised up verticies. As annoying to make come out properly as it is, it does acomplish what you want.
loh

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks loh, that does sound like the way to go.

Here is where i am at now:-
15.png

I tried adding a Displacement modifier to the tiles, but i got a bunch of black spots. Unfortunately I also get them using Blend materials, so I am kinda stuck with too clean, and too regular for now.

I'm hoping to spend the weekend on it, but time is running out.

One thing bothering me just now(apart from the lack of dirt), is the light casings. They are made with an object with an emit material(not meshlights), inside a transparent, translucent box. So, more emit = loss of detail, but this level of emit = 'not-as-bright-as-I-would-like' reflections in the mirrors.

Actually, one other thing is the partitions between the urinals. They have the same material as the other porcelain objects, but are significantly darker. I checked the reference images, and objects, and the real life ones are slightly darker, but not as much. Should I play more with fresnel, or did I make a modelling error? :)
Last edited by stoneage on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoneage

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:53 pm

ok, here is my entry:- http://www.pasteall.org/pic/9456

(Forum won't let me upload the .png - 3.2 MB - I guess it is too big)

I think in the end adding the displacement modifier to the tiles is a better option, although it is probably less realistic. Using duplifaces looks pretty good too, though it only altered the orientation of the tiles, and not the spaces between them, so they still look rather too regular.

Anyway, created with Blender 2.49 and Yafaray 0.1.2, compositing with Ramen and final touches with Gimp; hope it looks ok.

fwiw - I goofed slightly. Added lens distortion, cropped the dead space, then realised it was slightly less than 2000px. :D

Added small border to compensate......

Good luck everybody :)
stoneage

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:23 pm

Render time?

It's a fresh, interesting topic and nicely done, albeit not strictly 'architecture'. Everything ceramic & chromed looks very nice. It could be more dirty, though (toilet paper = MIA :lol: ) and some stuff should be more textured (the pipes). The render would also benefit from DOF (foreground blurred).

And for some reason I thought about Doom 3 when I saw it :)
_Mo_

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks Mo, :D

I know, I know......

....but I thought the deadline was midnight on Monday, turns out it is tonight - http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/ ... 8&start=16, so I have to go with what I've got. I did plan to do more detailing for the textures, but I have so much coursework just now. Anyhow, it is all for fun in the end(though I could do with a few more educational books).

:)

Render time, I think about 2-3hrs for 4 AA samples at 2000 x 1125px, but I let it run overnight at 4 AA Inc samples, 5 passes in all. I had planned to do it all again tonight with the depth pass, and some improvements, but hey-ho.
stoneage

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:05 pm

Here it is with a little simulated foreground focal blur:-

Not sure, but I think I prefer the sharp one.
stoneage

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:20 pm

Especially the tiles on the left sider don't feel right on the sharp render. The DOF effect there is expected and makes the render more believable. People will not notice (consciously) the blur when it's there, but they will notice it if it isn't. (that's my theory, anyway :) )
_Mo_

Return to Winter 2011 Contest - Amazing Architecture