View topic - A Chair, an Armchair and a Sofa

A Chair, an Armchair and a Sofa

From January 5th to February 28st 0:00 GMT, 2011

A Chair, an Armchair and a Sofa

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:52 am

Hello! This is my legendary first message in the boar! Yahoo! :D

I suppose many of you thought to see some new renders of new participant, but you don't. :cry: Yet. :wink:

I just finished couple of rococo furnitures yesterday and today I'm trying to fit them in the room I made years ago. Anyway this is the easy part. To render.. I mean... to export the scene into Yafaray isn't. But I hope my scene isn't too heavy or complex for renderer..

I'll keep posting! (or how they use to say in the English world?) 8)

- Tuuba
tuuba

Re: A Chair, an Armchair and a Sofa

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:25 am

With Yafaray, it should be the other way round ... modeling is hard, rendering easy. ;) Don't forget to read the documentation.
bert_b

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Well well, I should change that subject. It's not topical anymore... :lol:

Here's my newest WIP, The Temple of Jerusalem, or at least part of it. I'm pleased to the lights, but don't know how to go on with textures etc. Now I'm only using procedural textures.

This is wip, I'm going to add some post works (mattepainting) on the final render. Now there's only a few blender node added (lens distortion etc.)

Hmmm... Lets think about it! :roll:

Bert, you're absolutely right! It SHOULD be that way :mrgreen:
Attachments
Wip07.jpg
tuuba

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Very nice, I like the atmosphere. But whatever you did in postpro ruined the details - it's too hazy and blurred.
_Mo_

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:32 pm

You should change plants species.
QuiMico

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:56 am

@_Mo_: It may be the pixelwidht, which blurs the image. And there is also glare node, which causes the hazyness. But I didn't anything special to get blurred image. I mean, it wasn't my intention... :roll:

@QuiMico: Buahhahhaa :D Those plants are so funny! :wink: I know there isn't any purposes for them, but I put them there because I wanted something organic in my scene... I tried to put some people there, but my human figure was too complex and I gave up with her. So I decided to put some plants there. And as you can see, those are Christmas trees... not very likely at those latitude... :D

I'm sure that foreground needs something, but I haven't faintest idea about it.
tuuba

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:57 am

Well, I find some palm trees to be usefull, so I added two of them into the scene. Notice, this is only a WIP image, and that's why there are odd background, odd alpha offset, odd frame around the image etc. I just wanted to show you these palm trees over there... 8)

Edited: And yes, let me tell you this image is "direct" rendering without any photonmapping etc. That explains the dark corners.

Then I have a question about Yafaray in Blender 2.5x. Is it a bug, which is understandable in beta version, when I'll get very differend kind of results with textures? You know, the render in B2.49 is just I want it to be, but in B2.56 it is grayish and non-vivid. I could use Yafaray in B2.49, but then I should make all those materials all over again. So do you know something about this situation?
Attachments
Yafray256.jpg
Yafaray render in Blender 2.56
Yafray249.jpg
Yafaray render in Blender 2.49
Wip12.jpg
Weird Work in process image
tuuba

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:17 pm

in render settings Use linear workflow uncheck that box it brings back collors but I dont know is this good or bad, or in composite nodes (gamma node) insert higher value.
STart

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:28 pm

"Linear Workflow" unchecked basically makes "Color Management" in Blender not active. Yafaray works in linear space so you don't need Blender correct gamma again. Without that change, all the textures and colors will look washed and lights will look brighter.
In yafaray, uncheck "Linear Workflow" and use Gamma In=Gamma Out according to your Monitor. Linux and Mac used to work with Gamma 1.8 but now 2.2 is the better choice to any OS.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks very much both of you!! I will try the great hints you gave me!!

I also want to apologize for thinking my ignorance to be a bug... ;)
tuuba

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:00 am

My final is here! At last! :wink:

Some settings here:
- 2000px wide image
- Photonmapping, 100 000 photons
- 32 samples/px
- Final gathering 16
- DoF: aperture 0.6
- IBL, 0.3

Render time was about 5 hours. I did postwork in PS. The palm trees are from Arbiro tree generator.

And now, I'm officially in in the contest! :lol:
Attachments
Yafaray winter contest - Temple of Jerusalem - TA 2011.jpg
The Temple of Jerusalem by Tuuba - Modelled and rendered in Finland with Blender 2.56 and Yafaray 0.1.2
tuuba

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:08 am

It looks pretty good, but where is the sofa...............?

:D
stoneage

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:27 pm

The sofa is of course inside...! ;D
tuuba

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:58 pm

Hehe, what I am missing is some sign of life. And I don't mean people walking around but signs that they are there normally. The whole scene looks somewhat sterile. I like the massively overdone lighting, gives it a nice unrealistic touch.

What I don't get is why the palm trees don't receive any light, they should be in the light, shouldn't they?

And there are some issues with the composition which makes some parts seem accidental and unmotivated (leaves hanging in from the top). And the extreme wide angle, not sure about that choice either.
bert_b

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Interesting atmosphere, but the quality of the render is not that good - obvious DOF noise in the foreground, JPEG compression noise (?) of your background and an overall strange blur (from AA?).

To save time you could render in passes: the first palm and floor with real DOF in Yafaray, The rest with fake DOF in Blender controlled with Z pass.
_Mo_

Next

Return to Winter 2011 Contest - Amazing Architecture