View topic - Questions about the Winter contest and off topic

Questions about the Winter contest and off topic

From January 5th to February 28st 0:00 GMT, 2011

Questions about the Winter contest and off topic

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:20 am

Please use this thread to make questions and suggestions about the Winter contest, and for general off-topic. Please keep off-topic to minimuns in contestants' threads. Best regards.
Samo

Re: Questions about the Winter contest and off topic

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Hello :)

I will participate in another contest with similar theme (architecture) during this.
So, can i participate in Winter Contest simultaneously with the same models, but with different angles and purposes?

Sorry for my terrible english. :roll:
Epilef

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:48 am

Final render/s minimun resolution must be 2000×2000 px

Is this a fixed aspect ratio & resolution or just an indication that the final image must have 4 Mpx regardless of aspect?

Also, wouldn't be better (more incentive) to have at least 3 prizes? I know that the resources are limited, but the 2. and 3. could get small(er) prizes, just so that their work also pays-off. Currently one participant gets it all, others "loose".

It even doesn't need to be a material prize. An inexpensive but nice thing to give something back to the artists, would be to have a "competitions scoreboard" that could list participants (current and all-time) from 1 - 5 (or more) place and assign them "points". Current winners (1 - 3) could get (choose) titles on the forum, or something like that. People like scores and exclusivity, it makes them feel proud and special :D This would be a purely fictional thing, but could also act as a reference for the artists skills (for example when searching employment).

I don't want to impose anything, because I'm not even sure I will participate, those are just some thoughts I had. :)
_Mo_

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:57 am

_Mo_

I don't feel like changing rules once the contest has started, it is not serious at all. I will take your advice into account for the next time a contest is organised, which might happen several times this year.

Always before any contest I ask people to chip in with their proposals, but once the contest has started, all is set on stone.

We are open though to setup up prices for second and third entries along the way and to increase the prize for the winner, if we find resources to fund those prizes during the contest. But please remember that getting prizes should not be the main purpose of participating. The fact that we always set educative & training material as a prize shoud give you an idea of the kind of contest we like organising.

We will make public the scoreboard but with no scores when the winner is decided, as the jury deliberations are secret.
Samo

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:21 am

Epilef wrote:Hello :)

I will participate in another contest with similar theme (architecture) during this.
So, can i participate in Winter Contest simultaneously with the same models, but with different angles and purposes?

Sorry for my terrible english. :roll:

We expect that some of the entries will serve other purposes, for instance some of them will be based on real architectural projects, and other people apart from this forum, will get to see them. It is possible that some of the images posted will be used for real architectural contests (open architectural ideas competitions, etc). Also some entries may be made by architecture students working on their thesis or university exercises. We are fine with that.

However, if your images are used for another digital contest like the one we hold here, with no real application for the organisers apart from boosting the use of the software or the community, then images & ideas posted should not have participated in another contest before. I think this is common practice for any serious contest. It is up to you to decide in which contest you would like your images & ideas to participate in, once and for ever.

I'm pretty sure both contest don't share the same deadline, ours is February 28, Monday, 0:00 GMT
Samo

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:33 am

I agree that changing rules once they are set its not a good practice, I was talking more in general, for the future. I didn't give it a thought before I saw the rules mentioning only one winner.

I also think that having more smaller & simpler competitions directed to a particular subject (like ones where models are supplied, you have to do only materials and lighting), is better than one big. So I support the idea of more competitions per year. Maybe having two big competitions (winter / summer) with broad subject, and in between some smaller (for smaller prizes) that are focused on particular aspects (materials, lighting setups.. etc)

Anyway, good luck to all. :)
_Mo_

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:39 am

Samo wrote:The fact that we always set educative & training material as a prize shoud give you an idea of the kind of contest we like organising.

I totally understand and support that. As I mentioned, prizes need not to be material things - something that gives recognition to the author can be enough.
_Mo_

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Hey Samo

Do you open a WIP thread, or should everyone open his own one?
frankfreaky

Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:04 am

frankfreaky wrote:Hey Samo

Do you open a WIP thread, or should everyone open his own one?

You can open your own thread
Samo

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:03 am

Hi !
I would like to know if it's possible to use the compositing nodes in blender to enhance the results ( like vignetting, Dof, glares,...) ?
I'm very happy the yafaray's team organises that kind of contest... very nice.
Good luck for everybody !!

Olivier Boscournu __ riofranco design  Montpellier _ France   http://www.olivier-boscournu.com/

Rio

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:54 am

Rio wrote:Hi !
I would like to know if it's possible to use the compositing nodes in blender to enhance the results ( like vignetting, Dof, glares,...) ?
I'm very happy the yafaray's team organises that kind of contest... very nice.
Good luck for everybody !!

Yes it is possible. You can use any compositor as long as the imput images are rendered with Yafaray
Samo

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi. Well my plans so far, for this contest is to use Yafaray 0.1.2 (which is in alpha stage now but useful), and after I finished my image (modeling, light, compositing etc..) can I edit that image in gimp or similar product perhaps ? Is that allowed? Or in the another hand, is it allowed to use some external software's beside Blender and Yafaray ?
milan981

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Milan 981,

You can post process your yafaray-rendered images with any image editor, compositor or tone mapping software. You can compose a serie of different yafaray-rendered passes, and use a background consisting in a real photograph. We are indiferent about what modeller you use, but all rendered images should have been produced with Yafaray.
Samo

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks for quick replay :)
milan981

Next

Return to Winter 2011 Contest - Amazing Architecture