View topic - Beta release: Photon Mapping Irradiance Cache

Beta release: Photon Mapping Irradiance Cache

This forum hosts proposals sent to YafaRay, discussions about GSOC 2010 accepted projects and their betatesting.

Re: Beta release: Photon Mapping Irradiance Cache

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Glaskows,

I get artifacts with IC after your latest commits, and rendering speed is slower. For example, here is the monkey scene with IC settings at 1.0/10:

pedestal001-ic1_10_new0811.png
wizofboz

Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:42 pm

did you have the build for win or linux Wizofboz?
C l a a s E i c k e K u h n e n
Artist : Designer : Educator
cekuhnen

Post Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:48 pm

cekuhnen, I compiled my own version on ubuntu linux.

Last I heard Glaskows was intent on getting a windows build out there, hopefully this will still happen.
wizofboz

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:46 am

good for you that you can
sad for me that I can not.

thanks for the heads up.
I will wait then.
C l a a s E i c k e K u h n e n
Artist : Designer : Educator
cekuhnen

Post Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:52 am

Hi guys, sorry for the lack of news recently... busy week.
I updated the code, it eliminates Wizofboz's image bugs.
Tomorrow I will work towards a Windows release, so stay tune.
Glaskows

Post Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:58 pm

Yep the artifacts are indeed gone, but I still can't duplicate the speed of the earlier build:

pedestal001-ic1_10_new0821.png
wizofboz

Post Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Even though your last render was nearly a minute faster?
AJM

Post Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:00 pm

SSPM working without problems, but this built I dont know turn on.......I dont understand structure of this build....Its problem to make .exe on 0.1.2 platform for Win...?...with IRC exporter...

www.hangardesign.ic.cz  www.hangardesign.wordpress.com /use google translate

HANGAR

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:34 pm

Wizofboz, I am trying to find the culprit of the slowdown. Most of the changes were suppose to speed up the process (for example, having tables instead of calculating sqrt and trigonometric functions every time, having all objetcs to share some of the data, etc.)
I will commit a new version as fast as I can. Patience, please.
Glaskows

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:24 am

Guys, I've just uploaded a new version of the code. Not fully tested, but I wanna see your results, quality and speed.
Thanks!
Glaskows

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:30 pm

WTF is zlib1.dll....?.... after click on Yafaray 0.1.X only crash post - zlib1.dll not found....in console / Windows Error /error 126/ and module not found.....

www.hangardesign.ic.cz  www.hangardesign.wordpress.com /use google translate

HANGAR

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:17 pm

@HANGAR: zlib is an opensource library for compression. Try searching google for a replacement dll to download and then just put it in a yafaray folders until it works. This has solved similar zlib errors for me in the past. I am sure that for any kind of final release the problem will be fixed.
loh

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:41 pm

Here are some updated results from me, starting with the monkey render:

pedestal001-ic1_10_new0827.png

This beats the previous record time of 1m 34s for this scene, your latest update made a real difference and fast speeds are back with a vengeance. :D

I wanted to try IC with a real scene, so I scrounged some things from old scenes and threw something together (IC render on the left, plain pm on the right):

chairbywindow2-comp.png

As you can see I still have trouble managing splotchiness issues. The speed comparison seems favorable but it's really an unfair test since I increased the settings for the pm render until I got a clean render, while the IC render certainly isn't clean. Once I figure out how to get a clean render I'll be really happy. :D

Some observations:

Render times for IC can vary quite a bit when testing the same scene multiple times. This is especially true of the monkey scene since it is so fast, the render above lists a time of 48s but I saw the time go as high as 65s in tests. I'm guessing this could be due to threading with the IC code, looking at cpu utilization I see sometimes the renderer struggling to saturate both cores at 100%. Well this is just a minor thing, an observation not a critique. :)

Also, I have noticed that memory usage tends to increase quite dramatically during the course of the render. For example, on the second scene when all the photon shooting finishes and the rendering starts only about a third of my system memory is in use, but by the end of the fourth pass the memory usage has doubled, and by the end of all 8 passes I have practically run out of RAM. I know that IC is known for heavy memory usage and this is fine, but my expectation is for memory usage to be constant once the actual rendering starts like with other integrators. Again just an observation not a critique. :)
wizofboz

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:13 pm

everything said by wizofboz and...

a. it would be nice to have Rmin and Rmax available from GUI as multipliers. there is no big difference if you render an image at the same resolution but rendering at double res, the Ram usage and speed can change in some cases. That's because the Rmin and Rmax are based on pixel area. I tried with Rmin 8x and 10x for double resolution and there are some differences in speed and ram usage but not important changes in quality. Besides other render engines give to the user the possibility to configure IC in several ways, not only Kappa and Hemisphere sampling.

b. testing the material scene preview with IC was, as I commented on IRC, like a horror movie with brain-eating-zombies. :D. It chewed and spitted the RAM and then continued with the swap ..:P. It was impossible to render the scene at double resolution.
Attachments
ICmaterialscene.png
ICmaterialscene.png (160.09 KiB) Viewed 15960 times

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi all!
I cant build windows version because i am not a coder. :( :oops:
Can anybody build a win version?
glax

PreviousNext

Return to Google summer of code 2010 - YafaRay Projects