View topic - General annoucements

General annoucements

Students Proposals sent to YafaRay

Re: General annoucements

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:04 pm

This is a call to student and mentors for a general meeting
on May 4th at 16:00 UTC in the yafaray IRC room

The agenda for this meeting will be:
1. Student status. We would like to heard from you about how you are doing now, and what are going to be your next steps regarding your GSoC proposal
2. Documenting Yafaray architecture. Volunteers (Glaskows). Inicial stipend for volunteers (Samo).
3. Mailing list.
4. Activities during the bounding period. Rendering activity (Darktide). Regular meetings (Samo).
5. Questions and requests from students.

Please attend if you can. Best regards.

Alvaro.

PD: I will be on holidays on holidays from May 1 to May 6. Darktide will be the coordinator during this time.
Samo

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:26 pm

The conclusions of the Tuesday the 1st. meeting are:

1. YafaRay 0.1.2 beta release:

The code was frozen a month ago and no extra features have been added, only fixes
A first beta will be released in the forum for shallow testing, before releasing an official 0.1.2 beta with announcement on front page and a dedicated download page.

This preliminar beta will be compiled and tested by the usual compiling & betatesting team on the different OS.

We will open a new sticky thread for this preliminar release, and let the current "YafaRay 0.1.X Development branch (experimental)" thread float away.

A features list should be released jointly with the official beta.

2. Road map for future YafaRay releases, with more or less a four month cycle:

• YafaRay 0.1.2 beta: imminent, once a fist check on a preliminar beta is performed, as suggested in point 1.
  • YafaRay 0.1.2 stable: When GSoC finishes or later, plenty of time to make it rock stable and document the new features.
  • YafaRay 0.1.3 beta: GSoC students' work is added to this beta release, around last quarter of 2010.
  • YafaRay 0.1.3 stable: GSoC students' work is released as a stable code. First quarter of 2011 or later.

3. Weekly meetings for GSoC students:

There will be a general meeting every week, on Tuesday at 15:00 GMT/UMT in the IRC room. Everyone involved in the program is invited to attend.

Besides, every student must have an individual meeting with his/her mentor every week to talk about the project status and to solve questions.

This individual meeting should be arranged by every student and his/her mentors. Please contact your mentor in the IRC room or by email to arrange it. Once you have agreed on a time for the individual meeting, contact me with the details.

I will make a public timetable with all meetings and events to happen during the week, so this information is available to the whole mentoring team and the YafaRay community.

You can be flexible about these meetings, as long as you get to interact very often and regularly with your mentor.

4. Students' reports and commits:

• Every Monday students must post on the mailing list a summary of the work done during the past week and what they plan to do next.
  • Students are encouraged to post their reports & renders & screenshots in the GSoC forum
  • Students should commit to their guthub accounts as often as possible, even if the commit is small.
  • Students should commit at least once a week.
  • Darktide will send to the mailing list a special url and instructions to set a hook on forks so every commits are automagically sent to the mailing list.

5. GSoC forum.

The GSoC forum will be open for all YafaRay users for better interaction. They will be needed as soon as the projects start to take real shape.

6. Questions.

shuvro> can we post our coding related problems in the mailing list?
boiko> shuvro:yes, don't fear asking for help there

Maitreya> Glaskows_: what about the documentation work?
Glaskows_> Maitreya, I made the git (you need to update that fork and then merge it with your own). I put some guidelines in the google group, but I need to copy it into a yafaray doc.
Glaskows_> Maitreya, I also made a python script for generating a list of classes, structs and unions from the doxygen xml files
Samo

Post Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:23 am

Hi there

As per the conclusions posted in the previous message, now all users have got standard features working in the GSoC forum, for better interaction of GSoC students with the whole community.
Samo

Post Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:22 pm

Thanks for the roadmap Samo. Can't wait for the 0.1.2 beta and the GSoC builds!
bupla

Previous

Return to GSoC 2010 Proposals