View topic - No noise?

No noise?

General discussion on lighting, backgrounds, Global Illumination, rendering parameters and tonnemapping.

No noise?

Post Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:58 pm

As a beginner to CGI I am probably missing the obvious, but why do I find it hard to create any noiseless renders with Cycles and luxrender, but with Yafaray's SPPM I don't appear to be able to create noise even when the scenes are complex?

Could Luxrender benefit from the same SPPM as Yafaray?
Racleborg

Re: No noise?

Post Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:01 am

YafaRay SPPM currently is useful for only one kind of scene: area light source inside the same enclosed mesh where the camera is. Only in this case you will be able to get good results after a reasonable number of passes.
Samo

Post Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Thank you for your explanation.
Racleborg

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:08 am

SPPM could be also useful when you have a really good photon map from the start, in any condition. For instance, in the example below, the light source is outside the scene of interest. SPPM would have a hard time producing a reasonable convergence progression with a photon map start on the left, not only because photon mapping should probably follow a geometric progression strategy to converge (photons and radius multiplication rate for each pass) because of diminishing returns, but also because of YafaRay subpar random seed generators.
Attachments
comparison2.jpg
Samo

Return to Lighting and Rendering