View topic - PHoton Mapping or Direct lighting for Interior?

PHoton Mapping or Direct lighting for Interior?

General discussion on lighting, backgrounds, Global Illumination, rendering parameters and tonnemapping.

PHoton Mapping or Direct lighting for Interior?

Post Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:06 pm

Hi I just need some suggestion for rendering interior scene if which method you use. I know on the documentation photon mapping is ideal for interior but could someone give me a tips on setting those parameters under photon mapping? Thanks
Jay07M

Re: PHoton Mapping or Direct lighting for Interior?

Post Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:24 am

Hi

I have moved this thread to the "lighting and rendering" section. The main factor about wether using direct lighting or a global illumination method should be always amount and type of indirect illumination in your scene. Indirect illumination is the one bouncing from diffuse components in your materials. Before rendering an scene, you should aproximately foresee amount and types of lighting components your scene will have, particularly indirect lighting and caustics.

If your scene has got little or almost none of indirect illumination or its impact is very small compared with the direct lighting component, then probably you don't need to use a global illumination method, neither path tracing or photon mapping. For instace, one clear example is studio lighting of cars with background lighting with HDRI. In general direct lighting works well in "open" scenes, which are the ones not enclosed by a mesh where you can use some type of background lighting, which produces soft lighting and shadows like indirect illumination does.

On the other hand, if indirect illumination is a big component of your scene, then you will need a global illumination method.

It is all explained here:
http://www.yafaray.org/documentation/us ... ingmethods
Samo

Re: PHoton Mapping or Direct lighting for Interior?

Post Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:17 am

Hi, thanks a lot for a big help
Jay07M

Return to Lighting and Rendering