View topic - Background Alpha Transparency

Background Alpha Transparency

General discussion on lighting, backgrounds, Global Illumination, rendering parameters and tonnemapping.

Background Alpha Transparency

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:08 am

I am trying to figure out the xml code for adding a transparent background. I found the following information where this feature seems to have been added... http://www.yafaray.org/node/468

I tried adding the following...
<bg_transp bval="true"/>
<bg_transp_refract bval="true"/>

The background does not render with Alpha Transparency. I am rendering using yafaray-xml.exe. Is this feature not supported via yafaray-xml.exe? I can get Alpha Transparency by using "-a" in the command line but then I cannot control Transparent Refraction.

Thanks,
oort
oort

Re: Background Alpha Transparency

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:58 pm

Hello, oort.

It should work. Please try this:
* Use yafaray v0.1.99-beta4 (although I think it should also work with the stable version 0.1.5)
* Try the file 001.xml from the attached zip file.
* Use (assuming that you have all plugins working correctly)
yafaray-xml -a -f png 001.xml
* I have attached the result yafaray.png Image below as well.

In general if you want to see the xml options I would recommend you to use the YafaRay with Blender, and render to XML instead of rendering to Blender. That way you can experiment with the options and see how they change in the xml file.

By the way, I'm working in a major new experimental version with several interesting new features. One of them perhaps could be interesting for you. See: http://www.yafaray.org/node/574

I hope it helps. Best Regards!!
Attachments
yafray.png
001.xml.zip
(124.24 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
David Bluecame

Re: Background Alpha Transparency

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:36 am

David,
Thanks for the quick response and the example file. I was not using "-a" in the command line. I was also not putting the <bg_transp_refract bval="false"/> in the right place.

I have tried many times to find the render to xml option in Blender. I finally found it now after expanding the YafaRay settings window enough to see it... :oops:

I have this feature working now. I do not see how <bg_transp bval="false"/> is any different from not using "-a" in the command line. Is there a difference? The last three images are missing in the bug report that I linked to above.

Yes, that new feature you are working on looks very interesting.

Thanks again for your help,
oort
oort

Return to Lighting and Rendering