View topic - Self Shadowing artifacts - Shadow Bias and Minimum Ray Dist

Self Shadowing artifacts - Shadow Bias and Minimum Ray Dist

General discussion on lighting, backgrounds, Global Illumination, rendering parameters and tonnemapping.

Re: Self Shadowing artifacts - Shadow Bias and Minimum Ray Dist

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:55 pm

Sorry, it indeed renders all right, the previous result with self shadowing issues was rendered with beta1.
Samo

Post Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:36 am

I don't think we should worry too much about YafaRay not rendering properly in situations which are very unlikely to become reality in our everyday work, like objects with a 10000 Blender units size. Blender itself would have issues dealing with such an object. As far as I know, everyone is modelling objects with sizes according to Blender units, either in metres for archivis or centimetres for mechanical work. I think that your fix will solve already most of the issues we had doing archivis with big models.
Samo

Post Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:54 pm

Thank you, Álvaro. Then I will mark this as "fixed" for now, although if somebody has problems with new artifacts I have some more ideas for other alternative solutions, although they would probably slow down a bit the rendering (hopefully not much but they would be more computationally expensive).
David Bluecame

Post Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:34 am

Hello,

Álvaro has reported difficulties with self shadow issues in a certain scene even with v0.1.99-beta3.

So, I'm making some changes to achieve a hybrid solution, with the automatic Shadow Bias / Min Ray Dist by default, but also adding "advanced" parameters to allow setting arbitrary fixed values for both parameters in certain difficult scenes.

I've sent pull requests with the changes and a more detailed explanation:
https://github.com/YafaRay/Core/pull/84
https://github.com/YafaRay/Blender-Exporter/pull/26

I plan to incorporate this to the upcoming v0.1.99-beta4
David Bluecame

Post Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:23 pm

Beta 4 with the new Advanced parameters for Shadow Bias / Min Raydist here:

http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5100#p31177

The new parameters are in the very bottom of the Render settings panel, you have to click first in the "Advanced" arrow to see them.

I don't plan to work anymore on the Self Shadowing artifacts. We could possibly achieve a more automatic solution but that would be very time consuming and not guaranteed to succeed. I believe this hybrid solution combines ease of use for normal users and more fine control for power users.

I hope you like it and that you can render correctly all your scenes with these.

Best regards. David.
David Bluecame

Previous

Return to Lighting and Rendering