View topic - Yafaray-xml console parameters

Yafaray-xml console parameters

General discussion on lighting, backgrounds, Global Illumination, rendering parameters and tonnemapping.

Yafaray-xml console parameters

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:50 am

Hi there,

Good day to everyone.

I am interested in split-frame batch rendering in Yafaray. I found some information (http://manned.org/yafaray-xml/dbd944ee) about the following parameter:
-r min_x:max_x:min_y:max_y
It says that: Render only part of the frame, values between -1 and 1. The whole image is -r -1:1:-1:1.

Unfortunately, when trying to use it with the latest Yafaray 0.1.5v, nothing happens - it seems this parameter is ignored (or not recognized). For example, i tried with the following command:
yafaray-xml.exe -r -0.5:0.5:-0.5:0.5 scene.xml

The output was the full rendered image, not only a part of it.

Is this parameter still supported? If not, how can I use something similar? What I am missing?

Kind regards,
George
gdangalov

Re: Yafaray-xml console parameters

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:37 pm

That page you linked refers to an older yafaray version, the xml loader was refactored since then and the options are now different. Use the command "yafaray-xml.exe -h" to get a list of options that yafaray 0.1.5 uses.

Unfortunately it seems that support for partial frame rendering from the command line has been removed, I don't see anything like the -r option anymore.

The only alternative I see is to hand-edit the xml file; in the <render> block there are parameters for width and height that define the dimensions of the rendered portion of the image in pixels, and parameters for xstart and ystart define the pixel location of the upper left corner of the rendered rectangle.
wizofboz

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Thanks for the information. Indeed, no -r options are available in the batch rendering. I did try your suggestion and the good news are that setting width/height values works just fine. Unfortunately, setting xstart and ystart causes internal error to the rendering and unhandled exception - the rendering is canceled. Here are the render parameters:

Code: Select all
<render>
   <AA_inc_samples ival="2"/>
   <AA_minsamples ival="4"/>
   <AA_passes ival="2"/>
   <AA_pixelwidth fval="1.5"/>
   <AA_threshold fval="0.05"/>
   <background_name sval="world_background"/>
   <camera_name sval="cam"/>
   <clamp_rgb bval="true"/>
   <filter_type sval="mitchell"/>
   <gamma fval="2.2"/>
   <height ival="375"/>
   <integrator_name sval="default"/>
   <threads ival="1"/>
   <volintegrator_name sval="volintegr"/>
   <width ival="375"/>
   <xstart ival="0"/>
   <ystart ival="0"/>
   <z_channel bval="true"/>
</render>

If I change the width and height to 100 and xstart and ystart to 100 as well, the rendering crashes. However, if I keep the xstart and ystart parameters to 0, it works like a charm.

Unfortunately, this is not an acceptable solution for me because I need to move the render rectangle to lower position, different from (0,0).

Do you have any other ideas? Maybe it is a bug?
gdangalov

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:57 am

You're right, I get a segfault too. I can't see any reason for this to happen, I think you are right that there is a bug somewhere.

That doesn't solve your problem though, and I don't know what else to suggest. I'm sorry. :(
wizofboz

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:57 am

I just submitted a bug report here - http://www.yafaray.org/node/597

Hopefully, we will have more information soon.
gdangalov

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:03 pm

Hello,

I think I have fixed it in the code, but you need to wait for the developers to accept my change and to get a new binary build based on the corrected code.

http://www.yafaray.org/node/597#comment-878

If you cannot wait and need a solution sooner, please let me know what operating system are you using and I will try to make a build for you.
David Bluecame

Return to Lighting and Rendering