View topic - Important lighting bug in Photon Mapping and Path Tracing

Important lighting bug in Photon Mapping and Path Tracing

General discussion on lighting, backgrounds, Global Illumination, rendering parameters and tonnemapping.

Important lighting bug in Photon Mapping and Path Tracing

Post Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:21 pm

Hello,

Just in case you don't follow the BugTracker regularly, I want to let you know that I found a very significant problem with YafaRay lighting affecting Path Tracing and Photon Mapping. See: http://www.yafaray.org/node/803#comment-1850

Hopefully this will be solved in the next version, as explained in the bug tracker. However I wanted to inform you of this, because this has been probably happening for years and went unnoticed until now, causing subtle (or not so subtle depending on the scene) artifacts that reduced realism in the scenes.

This fix is still experimental, but so far it looks like it's working. We will have more noise as the light samples will be (correctly) more uniformly distributed through the objects, so they will be more separated, but the lighting should be ok with the fix and eventually with more samples it should converge to a correct solution (as opposed to all affected YafaRay versions which would never converge to a correct solution due to this problem).

I hope it helps. For now we will test an alpha version with the fix in a small circle of developers and alpha testers and if it's ok, we will distribute a beta version in the next few weeks.

Best regards!
David Bluecame

Re: Important lighting bug in Photon Mapping and Path Tracing

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:03 am

Hi David,

I have to agree something is not quite right. I didn't want to sound like I'm finding faults with the renderer when I have barely got to know it.
maverick

Re: Important lighting bug in Photon Mapping and Path Tracing

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:26 am

Thank you, maverick.

Please feel free to report YafaRay problems and bugs anytime, even if you are not an experienced user. If you find anything wrong please let us know.

If we determine that it's not an actual problem in YafaRay and just something that can be solved from the user side we will let you know in a per-case basis.

Thanks!
David Bluecame

Return to Lighting and Rendering