View topic - Glass through glass

Glass through glass

Post here questions about using YafaRay materials, texturing and procedural models.

Glass through glass

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:52 pm

Hello,
I'm facing an issue that I need help with. I have a project which have a balcony in glass. But when there is another object made of glass like the glass of windows and doors frame.

It would be also great if I was able to have some of the background of the hrdi map I'm using for light be reflected in the different glass used even if transparent background is activated.

As you can see some of the glass are just white. Please help, thx.
flagus

Re: Glass through glass

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi flagus,

which render and material settings do you use? Especially for the glass material.

Probably the ray depht setting in render panel? With two glass panes you need at least 4.

Greetings
Bonsaif
Bonsaif

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:04 pm

Hello,

I see two possible ways around this problem:

Method #1: Enable Transp.Background and disable Materials transp.refract. This will allow glass to reflect the HDRI, but the background HDRI itself will not appear (transparent). However in this case glass will refract the HDRI.

If Method#1 is not good enough, then you could try this:

Method #2: Disable Transp.Background, enable Render Passes (as many as you need, especially Reflect which will show only the reflections). Save the separate render passes images, especially the Reflect one. Then Enable Transp.Background and Materials transp.refract and render again. Afterwards, try to use a 3rd party compositor or Blender compositor to "merge" the scene without good reflections and the Reflect image initially taken with the good glass reflections.

I hope this makes sense to you and helps you to solve this problem. Please let us know if this is still not good enough for you.

Best regards.
David Bluecame

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:46 pm

Hello thanks for the replies. Both helped me. The only thing that I can't do now is control the reflection "power". Its too present like a mirror on some parts.

I have tried the second method of David but maybe I'm not doing it right but I have the reflections but also the whole other parts of the image is black. Tried to assembled all in gimp but was not good.
flagus

Return to Materials and Texturing