View topic - ShinyDiffuse specular reflection roughness control

ShinyDiffuse specular reflection roughness control

Post here questions about using YafaRay materials, texturing and procedural models.

ShinyDiffuse specular reflection roughness control

Post Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:56 am

Hi there,

shouldn't ShinyDiffuse specular reflection section have roughness control box?

Now the reflection is always 0% rough, you can change only the ammount of it. Diffuse objects become mirrors in low light and look unrealistic. On objects with complex forms there are multiple reflections, which is even worse.
maverick

Re: ShinyDiffuse specular reflection roughness control

Post Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:07 pm

The specular model in shiny diffuse is a perfect mirror with our without fresnel, the only way to add roughness is with bump mapping or real displacement. The only way to have roughness by default is to use glossy material. It is a limitation of the current material system, we don't have a single do-it-all material, for instance the glossy does not converge to a perfect mirror, etc.
Samo

Post Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks!

That's what I'm trying to do now - use glossy instead. I just thought it was strange because diffuse is kind of a basic material. And yafaray glossy, it seems, lacks fresnel.

Many renders in the gallery look great regardless, I guess, it's a matter of skills of the artist.

So I take it, there's not going to be any additions to the materials system in the near future? I read somewhere on the site about plans for nodes.
maverick

Post Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:32 am

There is going to be changes in the next versions about materials I believe if David have time to do it.
Samo

Post Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi again,

I use the following photon mapping settings (please see the attached image) and get a lot of fireflies. How can I change them to get rid of the bright pixels without having to resort to clamping? Or will I have to clamp anyway?

I doubled the amount of diffuse photons, but it didn't help.

Thank you.
Attachments
Photon Mapping Settings.png
Settings
Photon Mapping Settings.png (47.85 KiB) Viewed 6447 times
maverick

Post Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:41 pm

hi

Fireflies on your glossy materials are solved with more samples in the light source you are using for the scene.
Samo

Return to Materials and Texturing