View topic - Improve settings, missing materials & textures, and other

Improve settings, missing materials & textures, and other

Post here questions about using YafaRay materials, texturing and procedural models.

Re: Improve settings, missing materials & textures, and other

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:08 pm

I simply replaced the room object with one that was fully enclosed, and added a simpler lighting set up.

The walls were open, allowing light to go 'inside' them, so some photons inside the wall but outside the room were being used in the lighting calculation, resulting in the 'leaks' you see in the rendered image.

A good Photon Map helps the Final Gather calculation and creates a more convincing look for the lighting. This is an excellent article on creating a good photon map:-
http://www.yafaray.org/documentation/tu ... /photonmap

This thread is also worth reading:-
http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/ ... =14&t=2721

I notice some of the objects have multiple materials, and some of the materials are not assigned to any part of the mesh.
Select the Expedit object, go to the Editing buttons (F9), and in Edit mode choose a material on the Link and Materials panel, then click Select. You will see that sometimes(Materials 4,5,6 and 7) this will select no vertices. It might be worthwhile reassigning all the materials to make sure they are properly assigned.
stoneage

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:03 pm

thank you for your reply,

I already read those articles, what i was wondering was another thing: displaying the photonmap is useful to UNDERSTAND something shall i use it for something specific or not?
i simply launch the render and never pressed that button.

i maust be stupid or something, by the way, as i have created another box around the room deleting previous one, launched once again the render and...
boxed.png

and as you can see the monitor doesn't emit he light like your one...
yes i do am stupid :evil: :evil: :evil:
lyllo

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:14 pm

edit!

augmenting the diff radius size from 0.01 to 1.00 i finally obtained a nice result!
box2.png

now i just need to understand the reason why no f*** materials are displayed according my settings in blender!

for example: i downloaded a really cool leather material.. now i would like to know why in yafaray it appears in a gay violet style..
lyllo

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:20 pm

lyllo wrote:for example: i downloaded a really cool leather material.. now i would like to know why in yafaray it appears in a gay violet style..

The one for the chair? Because the texture is mapped to a bright pink Col.:-
Screenshot.png

I moved the meshlight from inside the monitor to outside of it, it was too close.
stoneage

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:53 pm

1) in blender it is shown correctly, NOT on the gay pink! why is so different?
2) please look at the new render:
box3.png

it is getting better.

1)EDIT: i still see, btw one "spot" behind the bookshelf and the wall. solved. It was crossing with the wall :)
2) still see too much noise in the darker areas... which setting should i try to modifiy?
3) the shadows are too sharp, how could i smooth them down?
actuals:
Schermata 2010-04-17 a 19.53.14.png

thank you.
lyllo

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:21 pm

lyllo wrote:1) in blender it is shown correctly, NOT on the gay pink! why is so different?

Because Blender interprets the textures differently. It is a common mistake to assume Yafaray works the same as Blender - only better. It is not the case.

1. Depending on the mesh geometry, the most common cause is a too large Diff. Radius value
2. and 3. Increase samples for lighting, Final Gather, AA. Area lights and mesh lights generally produce softer shadow edges, Spot lights and Lamps produce harder edges.

This is all in the documentation you said you have read :D
stoneage

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:48 pm

stoneage wrote:
lyllo wrote:1) in blender it is shown correctly, NOT on the gay pink! why is so different?

Because Blender interprets the textures differently. It is a common mistake to assume Yafaray works the same as Blender - only better. It is not the case.

1. Depending on the mesh geometry, the most common cause is a too large Diff. Radius value
2. and 3. Increase samples for lighting, Final Gather, AA. Area lights and mesh lights generally produce softer shadow edges, Spot lights and Lamps produce harder edges.

This is all in the documentation you said you have read :D

thank you.
obviously i have read the documentation but it is not linear that i can apply everything at first time!
this is my first internal render in my life :)
they are now 2 months i am using blender.
the only point i will give you now is for the area lights :) i knew as i used in the "first still life render" ;)

i still have noise even with diff radius set to 0.10.
with 1.00 looks far better.
now, according to some guides here in this website, i have tried to reduce Pixel Width, increase FG samples far more, last ones where 180 (raised according to the guides i already read ;) ), now set to 300.
still rendering, since 1 hour, but i am scared it will look worse than before, according to the preview i am seeing.

i still cannot find a solution for the materials btw.
let's say i have the My_Leather, you already said was mapped to pink in blender.
that is the study case since the texture has all the aspects i have to understand.

if i want that material look the way i designed in blender..
what should i do?
i selected it in the material pane in the script.
set automatically to shinydiffuse.
the matter is that, even i removed the mapping to the color, i cannot obtain the same effect than in blender...
lyllo

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:07 pm

arggghhhhhhh

new settings:
Schermata 2010-04-18 a 15.06.02.png
Schermata 2010-04-18 a 15.06.02.png (22.94 KiB) Viewed 16015 times

worse render :(
box4.png

the darker areas are a bit less noisy but the rest... :(
lyllo

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:06 pm

AND HERE WE GO!!!!!!!
:D
DONE.png

just need to clarify the texture matter and the monitor emit.
now the plae is completely outside the screen, on one hand we can now see it emit.. but on the other it doesn't work the way it should.
should i put it INSIDE the monitor and then make the vertex group in the "computer object" shinydiffuse with lot of transparency in order to make light pass through?
lyllo

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Placing lights too close to meshes can cause noise, so can using too large a diff. Radius value if the number of photons to search is too low:-
"In general:
● Increasing the number of Photons shot always increases the quality of the photon map, but
also the render times.
● Diff. Search and Photons shot are inversely proportional. The less Diff. Radius for more
precision, the more Photons to shot if Search hasn't got enough photons to mix
(incoherence).
● If Search value is increased for more coherence, the number of Photons should be
increased as well if we detect that some patches are limited by Diff. Radius (low frequency
noise).
● Coherence (size and luminance) is more important than detail."
static.yafaray.org/guide/yafaray_course_english.pdf

Diff. Radius 10 is probably too big.
FG Samples 300 is probably more than you need.
Increase Search to 100 - 150
Pixel Width 0.75 is probably too small. Try 1.2 or 1.5
The Box filter is probably fastest, but Mitch or Gauss will give better quality.
If you still have noise, use more AA Samples.

I think you need to increase AA Samples anyway to smooth these edges:-
DONE.png

I don't really understand the light set up. Where are the actual real-world lights in the room ?
It might be helpful in terms of lighting if you also post the Photon Map.

Also make sure you scale objects in Edit Mode or use CTRL+A to Apply Scale and Rotation afterwards.
stoneage

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:34 pm

first of all let me tell you this summary ROCKS!!!!!!!

i suppose i am going to print it and preserve it!!!!!!!!!

the set up is the one i have in my room, so yes, they have been chosen to appear exactly in that way.

why are you suggesting me the CTRL+A matter?

anyways, i forgot to post the new set of settings for the last render:

Diff. Rad = 1
Pixelwidth = 1
Search = 50
AA pass = 8

but in the last case i have no more noise.
the aliasing error on the monitor doesn't worry me too much, as i would like to HIDE that meshlight in some way, as i would like to make the monitor seem to emit the light, not an external plane.

what infos can you obtain by reviewng a photon map?
asi already asked in previous posts i suppose there are some tries one can do displaying the photon map obtaining some useful infos, but you never told :)
lyllo

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:44 pm

render with your averaged settings:
Schermata 2010-04-18 a 18.43.10.png

noise is raised behind the mac...
Attachments
xxxx.jpg
lyllo

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:52 pm

lyllo wrote:why are you suggesting me the CTRL+A matter?

The object's scale can affect the way it is portrayed.

lyllo wrote:what infos can you obtain by reviewng a photon map?
asi already asked in previous posts i suppose there are some tries one can do displaying the photon map obtaining some useful infos, but you never told :)

If you review the articles on Photon Maps it is clear how it helps with the lighting calculation.
stoneage

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:14 pm

here it is the photon map
PM.png

and relative settings
Schermata 2010-04-18 a 20.12.57.png

do not like the final effect, maybe search parameter is too high
lyllo

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:11 pm

I think, reduce Diff. Radius and use more photons. Maybe increase search a little.
This will significantly increase render times, though you could probably use less FG Samples, depending on the materials. These are only a suggestion:-

PhotMap.png

Screenshot.png

render.png
render.png (117.52 KiB) Viewed 15974 times
stoneage

PreviousNext

Return to Materials and Texturing