View topic - Improve settings, missing materials & textures, and other

Improve settings, missing materials & textures, and other

Post here questions about using YafaRay materials, texturing and procedural models.

Improve settings, missing materials & textures, and other

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:35 pm

good evening to everyone.

this is my first INTERIOR render.
i am jumping from still posing to interior both to learn something and to continue expanding knowledge on various fronts.

render.png
Yafaray version

blender version here (do not consider the error around the mac screen):
RENDER.jpg
Blender Version

as you can see there are slightly little differences...

1) why am i loosing the floor texture even if unpacked?
2) why am i loosing almost 80% of the material i applied in blender?
more frequent error read in the console:
added Material 'Leather by CyaNn' (shinydiffusemat)!
INFO: Adding Material: Bracciolo
added ShaderNode 'bump_layer0'! (0x1e349130)
warning: no element type given; assuming shader node
[ERROR]: texture '0x1e36f0b8' does not exist![ERROR]: no shader node was constructed by plugin 'texture_mapper'!
creating nodes failed!

3) what is that Disco-like effect all around?
4) how should i change the settings in order to improve overall render quality?

it is amazing the better quality of yafaray over blender in my cases, despite all the error in yafa render!
i am far more satisfied by the yafaray one, the only little problem i cannot neglect is that i have lost part of the set :)

can you help me out a bit?

thank you! :)
lyllo

Re: Improve settings, missing materials & textures, and other

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:03 pm

lyllo wrote:1) why am i loosing the floor texture even if unpacked?
2) why am i loosing almost 80% of the material i applied in blender?
3) what is that Disco-like effect all around?
4) how should i change the settings in order to improve overall render quality?

it is amazing the better quality of yafaray over blender in my cases, despite all the error in yafa render!
i am far more satisfied by the yafaray one, the only little problem i cannot neglect is that i have lost part of the set :)

can you help me out a bit?

thank you! :)

1. and 2. I'm not sure. Check the texture slots in Blender Pannel and the settings for Yafaray Material Pannel.
3. and 4. First check that Walls, floor, and ceiling have thickness, a simple plane doesn't work well and sometimes produces white spots. Another cause for white splotches could be a low density photon: try increasing the search radius for Photon mapping and/or increasing the Photon Number

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:26 pm

thank you for the reply,
but I would need of a deeper and complete answer to better understand the procedure.
this considering, for example, that i have used 2.5M photons so it cannot be a photon-density matter.
and the walls do have thickness :)

thank you.
lyllo

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:47 pm

The 'disco like effect' are probably caustic photons. Do you have your main light wrapped in something (lamp shade etc.) - cause there is a concentration of this spots just behind the chair? If you have, remove it (it's not showing in the render anyway). You can also try to raise 'caustic mix' to blur the spots.

You "lost" the materials set in Blender, because Yafaray uses a different material system. All the shader types and material properties must be set in the export script, material tab. Yafaray ignores the material settings from Blender (except texture mappings).
_Mo_

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:14 pm

_Mo_ wrote:The 'disco like effect' are probably caustic photons. Do you have your main light wrapped in something (lamp shade etc.) - cause there is a concentration of this spots just behind the chair? If you have, remove it (it's not showing in the render anyway). You can also try to raise 'caustic mix' to blur the spots.

You "lost" the materials set in Blender, because Yafaray uses a different material system. All the shader types and material properties must be set in the export script, material tab. Yafaray ignores the material settings from Blender (except texture mappings).

1) how should i reduce the caustic in order to avoid the disco style?
2) no, i can't understand which is that ghostly light down there, i just use "emit" on the pc monitor, but no other lights are set
3) how should i export the materials then?

thank you very much, btw!!!!
lyllo

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:30 pm

1.) Only in 0.1.2 version you can set how many caustic photons are shot. In 0.1.1 you can increase the photon count to get a more continuous effect and/or increase 'caustic mix' to blur it more.

2.) It does not look like the monitor is emitting light - the light seems to be under the table (I'm talking about the yafaray render, of course). Light also comes from the ceiling, so you must have set additional lights (lights must also be set in the export script, btw).

3.) You don't 'export' them, just select the object with the material in Blender and then set it's parameters in the Material tab of the export script.
_Mo_

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:09 pm

_Mo_ wrote:1.) Only in 0.1.2 version you can set how many caustic photons are shot. In 0.1.1 you can increase the photon count to get a more continuous effect and/or increase 'caustic mix' to blur it more.

gonna try.

_Mo_ wrote:2.) It does not look like the monitor is emitting light - the light seems to be under the table (I'm talking about the yafaray render, of course). Light also comes from the ceiling, so you must have set additional lights (lights must also be set in the export script, btw).

it doesn't "seem" it "comes" but i cannot understand why..
it is SCARY btw! :)

_Mo_ wrote:3.) You don't 'export' them, just select the object with the material in Blender and then set it's parameters in the Material tab of the export script.

ok, but if there is a texture under it?
i am talking about procedural ones, with more levels...
how can i do?

tnx a lot.
lyllo

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:30 pm

Yafaray understands the textures (most procedurals) you set in Blender and how you map them.

See: texture input, material modulation and materials
_Mo_

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:46 pm

_Mo_ wrote:Yafaray understands the textures (most procedurals) you set in Blender and how you map them.

See: texture input, material modulation and materials

thank you but to be honest i am not following you anymore...
why are you linking me such guides?
i have already set the materials in blender (as you could see)
the only thing i have to do is to make each material seen by yafaray.
i have all the list of materials in the material panel in the export script, each of it is present, but i don't know how to tell yafaray to render it...
lyllo

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:21 pm

thank you but to be honest i am not following you anymore...

That makes two of us, then :)

Yafaray 'sees' all your materials, but the parameters (color, reflectivity) you set in Blender, does not apply to Yafaray. Only the texture mappings are read from Blender. If you don't set the material parameters in the export script, then all your materials will be rendered as a default white shinydiffuse shader.
slika.png
Material tab

Everything you need to know in regard to settings, is written in the user guide - those sections I posted cover material creation and texture mapping - a must read!

Also not all texture mappings (col, nor, spec, etc..) from Blender apply to Yafaray and not all Yafaray 'material types' (shaders) support the same mappings. Read here: mappings
_Mo_

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:31 pm

lol i am smiling, because i do know you are giving me the solution but i cannot see /understand it :)

i have created all the materials, so please stop linking me all the net guide about materials :D

let's say this in a silly way for a silly boy... ;)

1) i create my_material in blender
2) it has one color, let's say green (in italy green is the color for the HOPE... casually chosen :p )
3) it has one bump map created with a clouds texture, mapped to NOR and stop so
4) now, i go in the yafaray window... i set the lamps, (try to ;) ) set the render settings in the material pane i have the list of the material i created in blender, among which i have... "my_material" :D
now... what the heck have i to do further??
let's say i just wanna leave it "as is" from blender, no mirroring, no special effects, just the green hope diffuse color and the NOR map...
what do i have to do in order to see it??
lyllo

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:49 pm

lyllo, can you post the .blend file, with any textures packed in ? It will be easier to diagnose the problems if we can look at the file settings.
stoneage

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:13 am

sure thing sir :)

i do not have any packed texture though :)

FILE HERE

in the mean time i am posting a clay render with another try inspired by some digging around here.
can't even make out what the ********** are those "spots" around the corners :(
Attachments
spots.png
lyllo

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:11 am

The 'spots' are caused by the walls not being fully enclosed. Light is leaking in, and as the walls are effectively 2D some photons on the outside are being used in the lighting calculation.

Here is a slightly simpler lighting set up to get you started. It needs a bit more work, but it should provide a reasonable starting point (Possibly the Diff Radius value could be larger).

As there are no textures, I can't say what the problem is there, though you could try UV Mapping them.
Sorry this is brief and unfinished - sleep calls...... :)

Photon Map:-
PhotonMap.png
PhotonMap.png (142.96 KiB) Viewed 25345 times

Clay render:-
ClayRender.png
ClayRender.png (132.35 KiB) Viewed 25345 times

.blend:-
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b124ff1/n/12_7z
stoneage

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:42 am

stoneage wrote:The 'spots' are caused by the walls not being fully enclosed. Light is leaking in, and as the walls are effectively 2D some photons on the outside are being used in the lighting calculation.

Here is a slightly simpler lighting set up to get you started. It needs a bit more work, but it should provide a reasonable starting point (Possibly the Diff Radius value could be larger).

As there are no textures, I can't say what the problem is there, though you could try UV Mapping them.
Sorry this is brief and unfinished - sleep calls...... :)

Photon Map:-
PhotonMap.png

Clay render:-
ClayRender.png

.blend:-
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b124ff1/n/12_7z

thank you very much for your help.
hope you slept well :)

let me ask one important thing:
1) how could you understand it was a wall problem? what you mean by "fully enclosed"?
2) what the photon map has for? how have i to read it?
3) i am downloading your file and review it to see the differences, but when you have time/will could you please explain me briefly what you have done?

thank you once again very much.

please anyway consider that i did not want any light coming from the outside, i just wanted to light the scene with the spot i set up in my file.

bye bye :)

the mystery around the textures still remains though.... isn't it?
lyllo

Next

Return to Materials and Texturing