View topic - Not rendering shine and normal bump

Not rendering shine and normal bump

Post here questions about using YafaRay materials, texturing and procedural models.

Not rendering shine and normal bump

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi

Though I am having a LOT of fun learning Yafaray (still a newbie) I keep stumbling and could do with a bit of guidance, please.

I have uploaded an image to help with this inquiry. I have also tried to upload the Blend file but it is too large.

The problem that I am having is that what appears in the render (left image) is quite different to my material preview(right side). In fact it has lost both the normal bump that I created for a gap between the wooden planks, as well as loosing the nice shine.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks
Attachments
render v preview.PNG
Racleborg

Re: Not rendering shine and normal bump

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Hello,

Material preview is rendered by Blender Internal while the actual render is generated by YafaRay.

They are very different render engines and the material settings do not have the same effects in both. You might have to further tweak the YafaRay material reflection settings to achieve the shine you want.

For a more YafaRay-realistic material preview, go to the Material or Texture tab, show material preview small window, and enable the Preview Controls. It will allow you to move around the selected object with the desired material, and it's rendered by YafaRay.

For a video showing how to do it (it's for an older version but the procedure is the same) see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEHuVyjF1OI

(the video has no audio, sorry about that)

I hope it helps.
David Bluecame

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:38 pm

David, many thanks

I will try all your suggestions.

I have been trying out a few different renderers (LUX, Mitsuba, Cycles) but I do find Yafaray particularly pleasant to use. I love the SPPM!

Cheers
Racleborg

Post Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:17 pm

Thank you, David. I have, as you suggested, been tweaking my materials and using the preview options and I am now getting considerably better results. :) No worries about the lack of audio in the tutorial as I am a cochlea implant user, so it would be a struggle for me.

I also like Luxrender but find it incredibly slow. I do appreciate that Lux is a true realism renderer but on my i7 920 with only 4g ram it's next to impossible to get a decent result within a reasonable amount of time. I am looking at getting an ATI 460 graphics card, so maybe this will help improve things(?) and give me the flexibility of both renderer engines.

Thanks again
Racleborg

Return to Materials and Texturing