View topic - Possible removal of Bidirectional Integrator?

Possible removal of Bidirectional Integrator?

Ask here your questions about development and about raytracing theory & implementation. Here you can post your patches for review.

Should we remove Bidirectional Integrator from YafaRay?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:07 pm

Yes, remove it. We don't use it anyway.
88%
No, keep it. We use it even with its current flaws and limitations.
13%

Total votes : 8

Possible removal of Bidirectional Integrator?

Post Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:03 pm

Hello,
In my opinion, the current implementation of the YafaRay Bidirectional integrator is buggy, flawed and its design is very different to the other integrators.

My question is: do you believe it's worth maintaining? Or we should remove it from YafaRay and move on?

Do you think this is still useful? Is somebody using it for actual production renders?

Please vote above and give your comments below.

I've opened an "task" entry in the bugtracker about this here: http://www.yafaray.org/node/720
David Bluecame

Re: Possible removal of Bidirectional Integrator?

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:17 am

Hello,

Based on several comments and votes and my own tests where I can see the Bidirectional integrator often gives different results (apparently inconsistent and probably wrong) respect to the other integrators, this is what I've decided for the Bidirectional integrator in YafaRay-E:

* To be respectful with the few users that might be using Bidirectional despite its problems, I will not remove the Bidirectional integrator from YafaRay-E yet.

* I will declare Bidirectional a "deprecated" integrator, with warning messages in the UI and the Log, recommending not to use it and explaining that the Bidirectional integrator:

- Will probably give incorrect render results.

- Will not be supported anymore. No fixes or improvements will be developed for it in the short/medium term.

- May be removed from YafaRay-E in a future version.

Thank you for your comments and best regards.
David Bluecame

Re: Possible removal of Bidirectional Integrator?

Post Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:36 am

Hi David,

IMHO, I think that yafaray should not compete with unbiased engines with cpu unless you are capable of develop a maxwell style engine.

It should develop the speed of the biased part to be as near as possible to vray.

Also SPPM has great potential on speed.

Thanks!
surena

Return to Developers' Corner