View topic - YafaRay exporter for Blender 2.6x (beta)

YafaRay exporter for Blender 2.6x (beta)

Ask here your questions about development and about raytracing theory & implementation. Here you can post your patches for review.

Re: YafaRay exporter for Blender 2.5x (beta)

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:42 pm

OSX build updated, see first message in this thread
Samo

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 am

Is the 2.5 exporter able to export hair particles (or any PS), yet? The one for 2.4 can export strands directly, without the need of object visualization or applying the PS.

EDIT: Disregard this. I updated to a newer version and everything works. Cool.
_Mo_

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:57 am

_Mo_ wrote:Is the 2.5 exporter able to export hair particles (or any PS), yet? The one for 2.4 can export strands directly, without the need of object visualization or applying the PS.

EDIT: Disregard this. I updated to a newer version and everything works. Cool.

just a tiny note about particles: it is not possible to export "child" particles, we do not have access
through the python API to them, so not all Particles can be exported now... :(
Olaf

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:19 pm

@Olaf, thanks for the clarification

BTW, it would be useful if the exporter would allow the rendering of the hair emitter (together with particles), when object or group visualisation is used:
render-emit.png
render-emit.png (9.79 KiB) Viewed 9016 times
_Mo_

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:52 pm

How do I save the render to a .png with alpha channel? In the image panel I have the render displayed with the alpha channel, without the background, but when I save it (Image -> save as image, or F3), the background is there.

Ok, the image is saved with alpha if you do it through the compositor, but it would be nice if we could save it through the menu. Also the alpha mask.
_Mo_

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:27 pm

YaR still crash (about ...7-8 month) every time, when I turn ON transparent shadows and have Alt+d copied object/mesh. Can somebody fix it? PM, DL and path Tr too!
This bug live SO LONG!!!
Can anybody using YaR for serious?
Yaroslav_L

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:13 pm

Yaroslav_L wrote:Can anybody using YaR for serious?

No, for serious work you have to use V-Ray
Olaf

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:20 pm

_Mo_ wrote:How do I save the render to a .png with alpha channel?

If you check the 'Premultiply' option you can save with a transparent background.
Screenshot-4.png

untitled.png
untitled.png (6.96 KiB) Viewed 8076 times
stoneage

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:21 pm

_Mo_ wrote:How do I save the render to a .png with alpha channel?

How do you enable alpha channel in Blender? Right Sir: it is in the Render "output panel" and there
you have the option for YafExporter in 2.58 too.
Olaf

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Ok, I got it. But there is still the question how to save the alpha mask or Z pass (when it will be available)?

In the image panel, when the render is finished, you have the option to see all the passes (except Z). A logical approach is to be able to save what you currently see in the vieport - ie. depending on which pass you have enabled:

savealpha.jpg
_Mo_

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:01 pm

-the API let us not read back the z-channel, so either you implement it or let it be as it is now. :roll:

btw. I know the shortcommings of the exporter and the blender Py API very well, but what the hell
should i do more?

and from time to time it would be great/encouraging to hear some postitve feedback too...
(just a sidenote)
Olaf

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:12 pm

_Mo_ wrote:
BTW, it would be useful if the exporter would allow the rendering of the hair emitter (together with particles), when object or group visualisation is used:
render-emit.png

check this out: https://github.com/YafaRay/Blender-2.5-Exporter/commit/5a67ab44332fc7095c1f40f8cab3885665865bb8
Olaf

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:12 am

@Olaf,

I don't know what the API lets or doesn't let to do, because I'm just a user and I don't follow development. The most I can do is test versions, report bugs and tell what I miss / would like to do and how I would like to do it. And when I write about this I don't imply anything about the developers or their work, how they work, that they should work more, etc,.. I just dully note down my observations, (mostly) without emotional components. Sometimes I'm repeating stuff that has already been said or that the developers already know, because I'm not able to tell what you do or don't know.

As for the positive feedback; the developers would get more of this if they wrote a sentence or two on the forums from time to time, explaining the new stuff they just implemented and it's available to the users. There's too little communication between userbase & devbase, IMO. The forum should be the center point, because most users are not power users and won't go to IRC to get new information or read github release notes, because they don't compile from source. The developers should not expect users to know "stuff" if "stuff" is being debated only on IRC.

Most of us appreciate your work and are grateful that we can express our artistic potential for free. But sometimes people get understandably pissed (like Yaroslav a few post s back) because of long-time persisting bugs. This frustration is not aimed at specific persons or the dev team, though, It's just a general expression of the inability to use the software for your work.

Thanks for the link and for the updates. I'll wait for a graphicall build, though, because I haven't been able to compile Yafaray 0.1.2 for Blender 2.5 yet.
_Mo_

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:06 am

What do you guys think about the possibility to toggle automatic material ball preview and adding a refresh button for manual preview refresh?

In my experience when working with hi-res textures (2k is already noticeable, 4k is very laggy) the GUI becomes unresponsive when browsing between materials and tweaking parameters, because Yafaray is constantly calculating the preview. Minimizing the preview panel helps in the texture tab, but you usually need that panel open in the material tab.

I'm usually not interested in the preview and don't need it for each param. tweak I do - I set the params to starting values / load textures and then look at preview for info (or better: do a fast testrender). Or I change the param values in bulk and then look at the preview. Being able to disable automatic preview calculation and do it manually, would speedup workflow when big textures are involved.
_Mo_

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:53 am

_Mo_ wrote:What do you guys think about the possibility to toggle automatic material ball preview and adding a refresh button for manual preview refresh?

In my experience when working with hi-res textures (2k is already noticeable, 4k is very laggy) the GUI becomes unresponsive when browsing between materials and tweaking parameters, because Yafaray is constantly calculating the preview. Minimizing the preview panel helps in the texture tab, but you usually need that panel open in the material tab.

I'm usually not interested in the preview and don't need it for each param. tweak I do - I set the params to starting values / load textures and then look at preview for info (or better: do a fast testrender). Or I change the param values in bulk and then look at the preview. Being able to disable automatic preview calculation and do it manually, would speedup workflow when big textures are involved.

I agree, the usefullness of material preview is always relative, moreover if complex mapping is used. Anywat it should never be a source of issues, but a help tool.
Samo

PreviousNext

Return to Developers' Corner