View topic - Upcoming YafaRay v4

Upcoming YafaRay v4

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Re: Upcoming YafaRay v4

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:25 pm

Hello,

Thank you all for your excellent points supporting CPU.

The "only" problem I have now is that, to fully get advantage of Embree, I should use Ray packets and/or streams instead of single rays... and all Core integration is based on recursivity of single rays.

This means that to get better speeds I would also need to rewrite big parts of the integration code!

On one side that looks like a big work, but on the other side I would expect better speeds and also it would be a good learning process for me to better understand how integration works... but it will take time.

Otherwise I can stay for now with single rays, but reduced performance.. decisions, decisions... ;-)
David Bluecame

Post Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:26 pm

Speed! We want speed! We demand it! :)

Seriously though, whichever you decide, we really appreciate the work you are doing, even when we're not saying it out loud :)
stoneage

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Is this something related to vcm integrator? I've heard only good things about it.

Regards
surena

Post Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:52 am

David Bluecame wrote:Hello,

Thank you all for your excellent points supporting CPU.

The "only" problem I have now is that, to fully get advantage of Embree, I should use Ray packets and/or streams instead of single rays... and all Core integration is based on recursivity of single rays.

This means that to get better speeds I would also need to rewrite big parts of the integration code!

On one side that looks like a big work, but on the other side I would expect better speeds and also it would be a good learning process for me to better understand how integration works... but it will take time.

Otherwise I can stay for now with single rays, but reduced performance.. decisions, decisions... ;-)

Wow! It is good news. And when you release it? Any date?
Odilkhan Yakubov

Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:57 am

We need news! :P
surena

Previous

Return to News & Discussion